Getting 403 Forbidden Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscrovx1

Reaction score
Good day.

I have been getting 403 Forbidden errors when I try accessing my site.

cscrov.x10.mx

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: I am now getting intermittent access. One moment, I can access the site, the next, I am forbidden again.

Edit 2: I am now able to access the site fully... at the moment, that is. I just hope all is well now.

Thanks to whoever fixed the issue.

Edit 3: ...and I'm forbidden access again... *sigh*

Help, please? Anybody?

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm seeing lots of requests that are being blocked automatically by our server, because the request is from a known spamming IP address. Do you have a proxy or VPN enabled?

Thank you,

cscrovx1

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm seeing lots of requests that are being blocked automatically by our server, because the request is from a known spamming IP address. Do you have a proxy or VPN enabled?

Thank you,

Hi. Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, I haven't got any proxy or vpn enabled. I am using an LTE modem via the cellular network.

cscrovx1

Reaction score

cscrovx1

Reaction score
Good day to all.

Isn't there any way for my ISP's IP address to be unblocked, just for my site? I can not access my site anymore. I still believe that the actions of some should not be the basis for denial of service to everybody using a certain ISP. Since we all are sharing that ISP's IP address, this security measure is analogous to not letting someone eat anything at all just because he/she got a tummy ache after eating candy gone bad.

If needed, I can PM the IP addresses that we use for these to be unblocked for our site only.

We'll deal with the spammers (if any) ourselves please, thank you.

Last edited:

phclausx

Reaction score
IP 198.91.81.2 appears to be black-listed by CBL and Spamhaus. There is next to nothing you can do on your end. A site I have on x10hosting uses 198.91.81.4 and that is black-listed on CBL, Spamhaus, plus BARACUDA. Hm, any admin care to explain? I don't quite fancy the idea having one of my sites sitting in the middle of a spamming pool.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
IP 198.91.81.2 appears to be black-listed by CBL and Spamhaus
that IP address is for x10hosting's free-hosting server [ xo1 ]

the OP issue is his IP address - sometimes - when he tries accessing his site

phclausx

Reaction score
@bdistler: Since when is a servers http return code dependent on a user's IP? -- unless you have either that particular IP or a complete pool banned via GEO. Care for some fun? Visit http://phclaus.eu.org/misc/foo/ -- while it's there. It's an empty folder, and because of that -- and my config -- the server returns a 403, which in this case loads the main index and prints a little reminder (it's the part in bold red up the header) Now fire your proxies and come back with a totally unrelated IP. Guess what? You'll get exactly the same code, and thus, exactly the same message. That's perfectly reproducible a zillion times over.

So, since we already know that x10 free hosts are at least partially black-listed, and assuming the user's IP, assigned by the users ISP, or proxy of sorts, is clean: How would you explain a remote server to react in the way it does, by spitting out a 403 -- for technical reasons, I've just tried to outline?

There are tons of posts related to the 403 issue. I'd say that's way too big a number for all those users to qualify for the same medicine. I've been living in Mexico for nearly 11 years now, and if there's one thing I've learned from it, it's that a perfectly valid IP is rather useless on sites, which prefer to block that part of the world.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Since when is a servers http return code dependent on a user's IP?
on the x10hosting's free-hosting servers - when the users IP is on the server's black-list(s)

there are more than a few ways to receive a 403 error code from x10hosting's free-hosting servers

phclausx

Reaction score
Pardon me if I'm a tad slow today, but it is the x10 shared IP's being black-listed, contrary to what you are saying the user's IP being black-listed on the x10 host -- which is a valid option nonetheless. I'm well aware of the possibility to forge http headers to ones likes, albeit I tend to consider any such behaviour hard on the limit of legal services. Standards exist not merely to have a standard, but also to have a guide.

And again, if all those users posting around here about much the same 403 issues are indeed on black-listed IP's, then either they ARE spammers, or else you have a serious flaw in your logic. Never mind. I'll give it some time to sink in, while doing some deep-water research, and then decide what's next. In the interim I'd like to say thanks for the else overall pretty decent service. Spot on!

cscrovx1

Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for the replies.

I am observing that the ISP's IP add is being blocked and not that of X10hosting's IP add because I've tried accessing the site using a different ISP and the site works. Our office has several field offices and those offices that are on the same ISP as I am get the 403 error, in fact, I have modified the 403 page on our site just so the users know it is their IP add that's the problem and not the system we have. The other field offices using a different ISP can access the site with no problems at all.

But that's just my observation.

Those who know better about these things can very well explain it to us lay people how these things happen.

Edit: My observation is based on the fact that if I am getting the 403 error because of x10's IP add, then I wouldn't be able to see the 403 page I made and saved on x10's server, instead I would see a generic 403 page. In addition, Dead-i's reply to the post indicated that they saw incoming requests blocked due to the requesting IP address being seen as a spamming address.

Disagree to your heart's content, modding6, only if you can offer a good explanation, but if you can't contribute anything constructive stay out of this thread, please.

Thanks.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
With mobile providers, it's easy to wind up on a blacklist or block list because of other users on the network. The IP addresses they hand out are not particularly "sticky" (the get shuffled around a lot), so your IP address today (or this afternoon) might be one that was absolutely up to no good yesterday (or this morning). I wouldn't expect anyone to unblock an IP address or address block based on a single "known nice" user (or even a large handful of them) in the block, and since it's impossible to reliably block a single user when IP addresses within a block are frequently turned over, everyone else in the pool with the baddies is sort of at their mercy. You just sort of have to wait it out. It sucks for the users, but it would suck even more if block lists were simply ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.