Getting Started Freelancing?

WhiteOut

Reaction score
I want to start doing freelance web/graphic design. However, I don't really know where to start. Do any of you do freelance work? How did you get started? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Yeds - start now by creating a protfolio of sample` sites. Think who you could` sell to, and create sites for 'typical' businesses. For example consider your market - probably small businesses or organisations. Retailers, Businesses which work out of small premises and need to reach out to customers, not passers by. Services, gardeners, builders,. Organisations, clubs, schools?, private colleges. Or start your own business selling products.

Good luck

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Like everbody else has said get a portfolio!
no company wants to hire somebody that can't show what they can do, the portfolio also helps show what you are capable of.

2) Join many freelancing sites, and bookmark sites that have regular graphic contest
3) Start out with small jobs, maybe 10-25 dollar jobs, just to get a feel for the work, and also again build that portfolio. Then when your portfolio is strong more buyers will want your work. Also, doing 10-25 dollar jobs can get your more since some people like to go for the cheapest guy around.

Reaction score
Like the other replies have said:

Firstly, we need to see examples of your work so far.

ONE of the best places for freelancing is digital point. If you register there, then make sure to remember to put my username in the referrer box (xxll_martin_llxx).

I have actually just started forum posting for money earlier this week. So far I've got JUST over $10 with offers for more money if I wish to continue on two of those forums.
For your web and graphics work you should expect to start off cheaply, until people see what you're capable of and you can earn more. Always make sure to keep people updated on work you've completed and make sure to get people to give good feedback on your service.

Good luck.

zen-r

Reaction score
Like the other replies have said:

Firstly, we need to see examples of your work so far.

ONE of the best places for freelancing is digital point. If you register there, then make sure to remember to put my username in the referrer box (xxll_martin_llxx).

I have actually just started forum posting for money earlier this week. So far I've got JUST over $10 with offers for more money if I wish to continue on two of those forums.
For your web and graphics work you should expect to start off cheaply, until people see what you're capable of and you can earn more. Always make sure to keep people updated on work you've completed and make sure to get people to give good feedback on your service.

Good luck.

I expect WhiteOut would find a link to the site you mention useful for clarity. Are you talking about http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ ?

Reaction score
That is the correct link as to what digital point is referred to most. I'm sure that some simple searching won't EVER hurt anyone. Laziness has come too far in these times. Sometimes you have to learn to help yourself.

WhiteOut

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to add a page to my website to use for a portfolio since my website domain is my full name already. I'm going to join digital point now and see what I can find. Thanks again!

haslam1

Reaction score
I started by asking people i knew if they wanted a web site (start your portfolio) and then from there i set up my own site(go global) to advertise my services (put portfolio on the site: a list of sites you designed or the companys/people you did it for.)
even if you design a site for free or just to ad to your folio put it in it all adds up(more designs + good designs = £££ $$$)
just find someone and offer small free services:biggrin::lol::naughty:
:nuts::rant2::nuts::rant2::nuts:

neteater

Reaction score
well my suggetion to all who want freelancing is only take a look at odesk.com visit and decide your self