Giving 20,000 credits for the best website design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoe4

Reaction score
Are you still looking for someone to design your site?
I've got a graphic design friend who I usually work with on another forum and we can work together if you're still looking (he designs and I cod :) )

just let me know if you're still looking!

Yes but this contest ends midday eastern time 6th of May.

Done mate.

cool, it looks better with the bigger text :) could you just make the white lines go up a bit higher so they go parralell to the navigation?

dawmail333

Reaction score

dawmail333

Reaction score
Ack! I just had to help me grandmother into an ambulance... Sorta threw my work in the corner, but I hope it's great.

JJPeacha, I hope you didn't think I was trying to slam you or something, I was just seriously trying to offer good advice. You really do need to think of IE6 though, as it dominates a large part of the market. Stupid non-standards compliant crap! They should make a compulsory upgrade to IE7!

P.S. I will give full documentation with my layout, and a reCaptcha powered contact form (no spam!) If you want something else (e.g. a php application) just say something, and I'll see.

Last edited:

jjpeacha

Reaction score
JJPeacha, I hope you didn't think I was trying to slam you or something, I was just seriously trying to offer good advice. You really do need to think of IE6 though, as it dominates a large part of the market. Stupid non-standards compliant crap! They should make a compulsory upgrade to IE7!
Understandable, but how come you only took 1/2 screenshots of your own site and 30/40 of mine? Is it cus urs don't work either :p. Mine only renders incorrectly in IE6 because of the rubbish program; however a small fix is now going into place. The only other problems I can see is that the older browsers (which have even less market share than opera who has around 1.4%) it takes a little longer to load. However appart from that I actually see no problem with my site.

dawmail333

Reaction score
Re: 30/40: That was an accident: if you scroll further down the page, you see that I compared them equally. Use the service on my page equally if you want, I have nothing to hide.

jjpeacha

Reaction score
Re: 30/40: That was an accident: if you scroll further down the page, you see that I compared them equally. Use the service on my page equally if you want, I have nothing to hide.
Fair enough lol. I aint to bothered though. I didn't exactly try to hard with this, as I have a new contract which actually pays in hard cash. It depends on who's design he likes better, if I bother to make the PNGs render proberly. Urs maybe more browser compliant, but ask yourself this: Which Looks More Professional?

I'd like to see a major corporation using a site likes yours. no offence or anything ;)

dawmail333

Reaction score
I have a really special reason I want to win this: I can't register a domain for myself (<18)...

Anyway, what did you mean about a large corporation using mine? Was that saying that you don't think they would? Well I don't think they would, as this was built as a small thing. Large corporations would hire very well known designers, not someone who has been for 2 days on a free webhost! I didn't build mine to be professional.

No offense? None taken.

bigjoe4

Reaction score
Here's one, it's very empty at the moment

http://obnoxious.logical-host.com/c4u/

I'll work more on it later.
Not bad so far.
Heres just a quick mock up. If you do choose my site, ill make a contact form using PHP to try and combat spam!

http://jc-studios.co.uk/circuitz4u/

Check it out!
I like it, it looks proffessional, I like the header. I wonder why so many people are using green in their designs? Before you put the time and effort into making the contact form, I think you should change the color, I have nothing against green, I'm just not sure the green is working for your site. Two colors in a site look best in my opinion.

Also I don't like the "designed by JC-Studios 2008" thing at the bottom.
Done mate, I've also made a little SEO friendly difference. Oh, and in about 20mins time, check these browsershots (mine and jjpeacha's, same settings).

http://browsershots.org/http://jc-studios.co.uk/circuitz4u/ (jjpeacha)
http://browsershots.org/http://d3.elementfx.com/d3sign/clients/jgrah1/ (Mine)

You really need to think about different browsers (IE6) and accessibility (shocking with flash) before you make a decision. Just a bit of advice from a webmaster.
Your design looks cool now :) Yes I do think browser compatability is important.
Ok made the changes you asked for

hope you like the improvements

http://iiirealms.com/designarea/circuitz4u/
It looks massively better than before :) brown is a bit of a boring color though.
I've edited the banner, links and content area... Take a look at this and tell me if you prefer this one rather than the old one and i will get to work.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/4455/picture1jr4.png

I think i could still do better on the logo.

I like the old one better, although I like the combination of blue and red in the new one. If you make just make the old one lighter, and change the text in the header to blue. I think that will look cool. :) Then it will be blue and red color scheme.

dawmail333

Reaction score
@bigjoe4:
Glad you like it. Don't hesitate to yell if you want something done differently. And don't forget about the contact form I'll offer. (Heck, probably everyone will!)

@jjpeacha:
My brother got me one from Netfirms. I can't get one myself, with or without the money though, as I said (<18).

jjpeacha

Reaction score
Not bad so far.

I like it, it looks proffessional, I like the header. I wonder why so many people are using green in their designs? Before you put the time and effort into making the contact form, I think you should change the color, I have nothing against green, I'm just not sure the green is working for your site. Two colors in a site look best in my opinion.

Also I don't like the "designed by JC-Studios 2008" thing at the bottom.
The designed bit was just to show what could go at the bottom, I should have made that more clear. Any particular colours your looking for?

@ Dawmail333
I got my domain from 1and1 at the age of 15, thats what the wink was for lol. I purchased it myself: no help, no 18< people told me how to or what to do or even pointed me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
Okay i will actually edit the main page and stuff, i am adding some more CSS too ;). I will post back once i am finished...

jjpeacha

Reaction score
Ah cool. How do you pay then?
I had my own debit card at the time.

****SITE UPDATE****

Ok as you say, browser compliancy is an issue so I have added some scripting so my site is compatible with IE5/6 (cus of the PNGs). I have also made it so, if the browser doesn't have flash, the flash animation downgrades to a static image of the same thing just without the flash effects.

Last edited:

dawmail333

Reaction score
I don't think I can get debit cards in Australia if you are <18. I'll check though, if I can, I can use Netfirms, but 1and1 could be cool, I'll confer with my brother about that.

Sohail

Reaction score
Okay lets try to stay on topic ;).

bigjoe4, i have two things to ask -

1) Are you going to make this contest longer as it seems everyone needs a bit more time?
2) Do you want to keep that stripy effect like in the new one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.