Gmail Desktop Application

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I really like the threaded view Gmail has to offer.

Does anybody know if Google has plans to create a desktop application similar to Gmail?

Do you know if anything like it already exists?

Danielx386

Reaction score
I would love to see that in Microsoft Outlook :)

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I really like the threaded view Gmail has to offer.

Does anybody know if Google has plans to create a desktop application similar to Gmail?

Do you know if anything like it already exists?

I read about this: apparently, not for the time being because of being able to access it offline anyway with Gears.

Danielx386

Reaction score
Yeah, but gears does not alway work. For example, it won't download all my emails :( Is ther an addon for outlook that will do what gmail do? (in regard to the threaded view)

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Maybe someone will be able to make an add-on/extension for Mozilla Thunderbird for Gmail Threaded Messages.

deltavolt

Reaction score
I highly doubt Google will make a Desktop application out of Gmail mostly because they are pushing for Cloud. Even Chrome OS will mostly be a browser where Google expects you to use all applications online.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I highly doubt Google will make a Desktop application out of Gmail mostly because they are pushing for Cloud. Even Chrome OS will mostly be a browser where Google expects you to use all applications online.
From what I've heard you can't even call Chrome OS an OS, rather it's a GNU/Linux system with the chrome browser, and everything else stripped away. (And a new windowing system, whatever that would bring.) All google are trying to do is push users into their (proprietary) online services, so they definitely won't bother with desktop applications. Even more data for Google if they push this through...

allofus

Reaction score
Re: Gmail Desktop Application - goNOgle

be careful,

google is watching.

Once i found out that Al Gore, the inconvenient liar was gifted a bunch of shares worth a huge wad from 'do no evil' /great firewall of chine GOOGLE I stay away from them as much as possible.

Google is one of the greatest threats to net neutrality, their cloud computing ambitions are scary. No more OS, just an ID (tracked to YOU), a terminal, high speed connection and a hush, hush MI/CI/MOSS/NS/KG's overlooked databank of YOU!!!

Google visits my website more often than I do!

I would not install a google app, even if it came with a free laptop / desktop because they cannot be trusted.

Did you know that google (and others) are building up libraries of EVERYTHING. Image / sound / video DNA, yes your DNA recognition.

Google also developed software that enables your microphone to listen to your bg noise so they can better profile you... Dog Bark, pet food adverts, child crying, e-number + abortion adverts and of course far worse.

How much of a % do you think google pulls in every year to 'sell you' and your data? look it up, google it, lol.

If there is a dot.your nation
.co.uk
.us
.ca
etc etc alternative to google.com chances are that your own gov't and the more hush, hush MI/CI/MOSS/NS/KG's of this world have unmetered access too.

Some say Google is your friend, I say some people are naive!

Oh yea, teh topic;

gmail;
it has a built in search feature, if you can search it so can anyone else with access to the server, only use gmail via proxy and to send junk to people you do not like.
As for a desktop app. Google are actively working to eliminate the desktop so it is highly unlikely they will create a software that defies their long-term aims.

Dear Mr GoogleBot, pagerank this Mo-Fo....

url

oh yea and before I get told off;
(off-topic) Can anyone spot the hair-line fracture in the image I posted? Thanks.

goNOgle

ah-blabla

Reaction score

Once i found out that Al Gore, the inconvenient liar was gifted a bunch of shares worth a huge wad from 'do no evil' /great firewall of chine GOOGLE I stay away from them as much as possible.
In what way was Al Gore an "inconvenient" liar? (At least he tries to do something, even if he's not too accurate about things.) And you do know if Google didn't comply with Chinese regulations they would be completely blocked off, which would be worse. At least this way there is another search engine there. (And another possible hole through the great firewall -- you can never be 100% sure of blocking...)

And why do you use google analytics on your site if you try to stay away from google?

gmail;
it has a built in search feature, if you can search it so can anyone else with access to the server, only use gmail via proxy and to send junk to people you do not like.
As for a desktop app. Google are actively working to eliminate the desktop so it is highly unlikely they will create a software that defies their long-term aims.
Sorry? I never managed to search anyone elses emails using Gmail... You could say the same for all freemails which have a search feature. I.e. yahoo mail, Hotmail, you name it.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score

Did you know that google (and others) are building up libraries of EVERYTHING. Image / sound / video DNA, yes your DNA recognition.
And how are they doing that? Hacking in to your G key on the keyboard and scanning your DNA?

Google also developed software that enables your microphone to listen to your bg noise so they can better profile you... Dog Bark, pet food adverts, child crying, e-number + abortion adverts and of course far worse.
And your reasoning for believing this exists and is in use is what exactly?

How much of a % do you think google pulls in every year to 'sell you' and your data? look it up, google it, lol.
Google is primarily a marketing company. The act of searching doesn't bring in money, the ads do. Think about it whilst you're making a new tin foil hat.

And kindly remove the offensive image from your post.

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score

And if google actually had that program for background noise... it would be quite a feat of computer science to have a program analysing your environment from... sounds. I'd leave my microphone beside the toilet and see what ads I get.

I just noticed:
Did you know that google (and others) are building up libraries of EVERYTHING
I think you're mistaking google for the UK Government here. (I know Google have a lot of data, but DNA isn't quite their interest.)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
be careful,

google is watching.

Google is one of the greatest threats to net neutrality, their cloud computing ambitions are scary. No more OS, just an ID (tracked to YOU), a terminal, high speed connection and a hush, hush MI/CI/MOSS/NS/KG's overlooked databank of YOU!!!

Google visits my website more often than I do!

I would not install a google app, even if it came with a free laptop / desktop because they cannot be trusted.

If there is a dot.your nation
.co.uk
.us
.ca
etc etc alternative to google.com chances are that your own gov't and the more hush, hush MI/CI/MOSS/NS/KG's of this world have unmetered access too.

Some say Google is your friend, I say some people are naive!

Oh yea, teh topic;

gmail;

Dear Mr GoogleBot, pagerank this Mo-Fo....

<<huge, unnecessary image removed from quote :) >>

oh yea and before I get told off;
(off-topic) Can anyone spot the hair-line fracture in the image I posted? Thanks.

goNOgle

Are you another conspiracy theorist trying to stir up controversy? Give me links to factual information backing this up, and we'll talk :)

And why do you use google analytics on your site if you try to stay away from google?
I wondered the same thing.
Sorry? I never managed to search anyone elses emails using Gmail... You could say the same for all freemails which have a search feature. I.e. yahoo mail, Hotmail, you name it.
I've also never searched anybody else's mail from any provider.

Last edited:

allofus

Reaction score
Are you another conspiracy theorist trying to stir up controversy? Give me links to factual information backing this up, and we'll talk :)
If you need my help to find what might as well be the nose on your face I cannot help you, lost cause.

What is a 'conspiracy theorist'? In Law a conspiracy is 2 or more people conspiring to commit a crime. Did I mention that anything was technically a crime?

Legislation allows data-mining and profiling. aka not a crime, aka not a conspiracy and considering that legislation is public record, google profile their exploits on the internet and Al Gore's billions are well documented I am not really sure where 'theory' kicks in either.

I think you were not asking a question, but making a statement. Allow me to paraphrase.

Oh cr*p, your one of those rare people who think for yourself and years of trusting the wrong people and taking it all in makes me nervous around truth so I better act like a 4th grader and call you names like the big man I am.

I've also never searched anybody else's mail from any provider.
If you were making reference to my search remark....

You are obviously not either paying for access, or given legislative access to the servers.

Hacking is a crime without a warrant. Google, hotmail, yahoo, etc do not need a warrant because they own the servers.

I do know that t.o.s are dull to read.

Take x10 for example here. x10 server administrators have access to every single kb of data on their servers. I am pretty sure they have better things to do than wade through it looking for something juicy, but if they wanted to, they could. but google cannot? lolalot

I have conducted research for myself and sweeping statements and jumping to poorly derived conclusions does not detract from my findings.

Am I going to repeat my research for your benefit? NOT AT ALL.
I am sure you are ALL capable of 'proving' me wrong on your own.

For your own benefit, prove me wrong.

Shark;
My website is not actually 'my website'. There is a group of us who jointly decide the direction of the site, the team decides and the team wanted analytics.

A well constructed non-argument!

For aanyone interested in doing some research I can suggest a few avenues;

Court case linked to evidence from...
facebook
youtube
myspace

Also look into NSA funding of all fo the above and many others
comcast

US plans to 'fight the net' revealed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4655196.stm

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/06/08/google-research-prototypes-ambient-audio-contextual-content/
follow up on the mic monitoring, this article is just a starting point.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jun/19/google-dna-23andme
Google invests more in DNA startup linked to co-founder
Conflict of interest looms as Google pumps a further $2.6m into DNA company started by founders' wife

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2006/jan/25/news.citynews
Backlash as Google shores up great firewall of China

· US search engine agrees to government restrictions
· Firm admits inconsistency with its corporate ethics

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aNq8y9GYqwj8&refer=home
Gore is chairman of Generation Investment Management LLP, a firm focused on long-term sustainable investing. Gore also is a board member of Cupertino, California-based Apple Inc. and has been a senior adviser to Google Inc., owner of the world's most popular Internet search engine.
Gore was awarded stock options at both Apple and Google that have made him a multimillionaire, a fact supporters point to when talking about the possibility of Gore jumping into the 2008 presidential fray.

You would need to do a bit more research on all of these topics, but please do not throw phrases like 'conspiracy theorist' around.

Do your own research if you can be bothered to, I cannot convince anyone of anything, nor do I want to. I may be trying to bend your head out of shape. If you can trust yourself, look for yourself.

please note that these links I provided are NOT WACKJOB bloggers, but mainstream, so-called credible news sources.

PEACE my fellow x10'ers!

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You would need to do a bit more research on all of these topics, but please do not throw phrases like 'conspiracy theorist' around.

Do your own research if you can be bothered to, I cannot convince anyone of anything, nor do I want to. I may be trying to bend your head out of shape. If you can trust yourself, look for yourself.

please note that these links I provided are NOT WACKJOB bloggers, but mainstream, so-called credible news sources.

PEACE my fellow x10'ers!

I didn't mean it criminally. I didn't really mean it to be offensive either, sorry if you took it that way. I actually think people who try investigating potential conspiracies are interesting.

I mean it as do you study conspiracies?

Definition of Conspiracy Theory from dictionary.com

conspiracy theory

 –noun 1. a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group. 2. the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

You're trying to say Google is this "group" loading up with information, etc etc...?

allofus

Reaction score
ha,

You seem to be trying to read between the lines.

Google is a for-profit corporation that has a motto of "Do no evil".

Google is just one of many corporations that hace ties to projects and ambitions that are not always going to be in our best interests and Al Gore seems to make most money when he is being dishonest.

Oh and I was not offended.
To be offended is to choose it.
Your 'conspiracy theorist' line was idle my friend and I accept that you did not intend on offending me, thanks. I mean you no harm either!!

Also a dictionary lists the popular use / misuse of words. Words do however have meanings regardless of the common faults.

I think it is reasonable ot suggest the term 'conspiracy theorist' has a different meaning to the words it's self.

I am not a conspiracy theorist. I like to review evidence and documented facts, imagery, video and so on. I have little time for theory or fiction for that matter. There are far too many things going on in the world to invent or theorise a few more for my own entertainment.

I think that reading between lines and jumping to conclusions would be a good start for you if you want to be a conspiracy theorist.

Oh and the definition in the dictionary.
By that definition practically everythign is a conspiracy theory.

eg' I wonder what the x10 team are planning next? maybe game servers... There a working demo
Not exactly the same as "person a or group a are doing x,y,z, did a,b,c and here is the proof"

There does seem to be certain topics where theory and fact get rather blurry.

Are there powerful groups plotting? Of course there are, do you see exon mobile here debating their next business venture? Is the tesco board room wired with webcams for us all to see?
Do our politicians not work out deals in private?

Of course.
Am I being theoretical?
War Room....

Maybe I am.
I think we both know there are 'War Rooms'.

g20 was private.

Alas there seems to be people who think that the idea of people meeting in private to decide the fate of millions or even billions of people is stupid, fantasy or amusing. What is the liklehood that the people meeting behind closed doors designed it to be that way?

I do not know really.

I do know that greedy men and women are destroying this planet, ruining our education, environment and social fabric and I do know that most people are either too distracted, ignorant or selfish to do anything about it.

I am merely trying to be a little bit less selfish, giving a little for a change!

ah-blabla

Reaction score
If you were making reference to my search remark....

You are obviously not either paying for access, or given legislative access to the servers.

Hacking is a crime without a warrant. Google, hotmail, yahoo, etc do not need a warrant because they own the servers.
That STILL isn't evidence of you being able to search other's emails. And do you have any evidence of people paying to access the emails? (And why amn't I affected at all if my emails, like you say, are being searched.)

What is a 'conspiracy theorist'? In Law a conspiracy is 2 or more people conspiring to commit a crime. Did I mention that anything was technically a crime?

Legislation allows data-mining and profiling. aka not a crime, aka not a conspiracy and considering that legislation is public record, google profile their exploits on the internet and Al Gore's billions are well documented I am not really sure where 'theory' kicks in either.

I think you were not asking a question, but making a statement. Allow me to paraphrase.

Oh cr*p, your one of those rare people who think for yourself and years of trusting the wrong people and taking it all in makes me nervous around truth so I better act like a 4th grader and call you names like the big man I am.
BTW, legally providers cannot read the email on their servers in many countries since the same laws that apply to privacy of mail apply. (I'm not sure about specifics though for UK. I know Germany is quite strong on the matter.) Automated processing by programs (note, not the same as reading by humans) is fine for me. I assume you use a spam filter too? I wonder how that works? It might just be that a spam filter works by automatically processing all incoming mail And what "exploits" are you referring to?

I have conducted research for myself and sweeping statements and jumping to poorly derived conclusions does not detract from my findings.
We can see that so well... Your sweeping statements and poorly derived conclusions don't detract from the findings, they actually augment their ridiculousness.

It is widely known that Google is well involved in data mining, I'm not trying to deny that, but you are giving the whole situation completely over-exaggerated dimensions... And I would prefer to keep my head the way it is -- it has worked quite well so far.

Google is just one of many corporations that hace ties to projects and ambitions that are not always going to be in our best interests and Al Gore seems to make most money when he is being dishonest.
Evidence, please? May I quote "sweeping statements" again?

Also a dictionary lists the popular use / misuse of words. Words do however have meanings regardless of the common faults.
I'm not sure what this means. Dictionaries generally list the most common meanings of words, as in use by a culture at the current time. If they state a meaning different from what you expected, it doesn't mean the dictionary is wrong, it means you didn't know that that meaning existed. Just because somebody uses a different meaning from what you believe is the true meaning, doesn't mean they are wrong.

By that definition practically everythign is a conspiracy theory. [...]
Are there powerful groups plotting? Of course there are, do you see exon mobile here debating their next business venture? Is the tesco board room wired with webcams for us all to see?
Do our politicians not work out deals in private?
You do realise that conspiracy theory generally has negative connotations. And is related to an "unexplained event". (See the OED here, which is probably the highest regarded dictionary of the english language).

I do know that greedy men and women are destroying this planet, ruining our education, environment and social fabric and I do know that most people are either too distracted, ignorant or selfish to do anything about it.

I am merely trying to be a little bit less selfish, giving a little for a change!
Noble aims, but I think you are deluded in what method to use to reach this. Google are amassing colossal amounts of data, but it is highly unlikely they can majorly affect the world (and what's more in a bad way) because of that. If you want to fix the world you'd be better off combatting undemocratic governments, being active about environmental problems (like Al Gore), getting the British Government to act as a democratic government should (for the people) etc. These are much more important than the fact that Google is a data-mining corporation. (I suppose the main reason you are against google is because of their success, they are actually a pretty innovative company...)

And regarding google analytics use on your site: if google is so bad, then why do the rest of your site team still use it: basically, you are implying that either you or your team members are deluded. If your team members are so deluded (BTW, yet another majority!), then why do you still work with them, and why do you promote a site which itself uses services from an "evil" company -- or maybe they are right that google isn't that bad? If you are the deluded one however, then... well, there's not much we can do.
You also said:
A well constructed non-argument!
It wasn't an argument but a question...

Last edited:

costarina

Reaction score
Maybe someone will be able to make an add-on/extension for Mozilla Thunderbird for Gmail Threaded Messages.:biggrin:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
BTW, Thunderbird officially supports a threaded view of emails which is sort of similar to the GMail threaded view. I don't use Thunderbird though, so I can't comment on how good it is.