Google apps and Contact form(Php send mail) inconsistency.

ntsite

Reaction score
So guys, today I discovered that none of my active contact forms (2 are similar, 1 more differentiated) doesn't deliver mails to Google Apps mail account. (Don't tell me that it is related with x10hosting etc, it is not.) The reason for this must be because all of these contact forms are sending mails with the sender name as the user entered email address. Either Gmail/Google apps recognizes this and doesn't allow these mails to get received. The last time it worked was 30.12.11.*

So what is the permament solution for this. I don't want to use different address rather than my domain and can't do without contact forms. Heard about implementing smtp...how to implement this still to make sure the contact form will send emails with user defined email address?

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There were changes to the X10 mail() function around that time and the outgoing email header must now contain an address that is associated with the domain it's coming from eg: From: mysite@x10.. because sending an outgoing mail as somebody else is suspicious.

Most contact form scripts put all the user submitted information, name,subject,content, email addrees, useragent, IP address etc in the message body of the outgoing email. This allows you to redirect the mail from an X10 subdomain emial address to your Gmail account without any fuss. Or you can set up an STMP mail script but you will still have to put everything in the message body so it sounds like your script needs a few tweeks.

ntsite

Reaction score
Thank you for response.

There were changes to the X10 mail() function around that time and the outgoing email header must now contain an address that is associated with the domain it's coming from eg: From: mysite@x10.. because sending an outgoing mail as somebody else is suspicious.

I believe you missed my passage where I indicated above : "Don't tell me that it is related with x10hosting etc, it is not.". This is problem is only with gmail, and started to occur only startin 2012. Now I have temporal solution, but need to know for permanent.

Or you can set up an STMP mail script but you will still have to put everything in the message body so it sounds like your script needs a few tweeks.

It seems more likely this solution will be the most useful one...but I suppose it will send it from only the address which has been specified in smtp settings...
I prefer it to remain it as it was - to send mails from the user specified address.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Nope, did not mis-read your statement.

Mentioned the X10 email policy change because it's caught a lot folk off guard with either very basic or unusual mailing scripts using no header information or ones like yours where the outgoing mail information does not belong to the account. Though the script will say its been sent, in reality the mail server bins it upstream and it never gets sent to gmail causing no end of confusion.

Of course that's life on the Internet all over, you turn your back on a site for five
minutes and find the rules have changed and everythings broke lol! Paid hosting
may still allow you to send mail that way, but I'd get it in writing before paying.

I for one am a tad curious though..
why do you need to send mail pretending to come from somebody else?

ntsite

Reaction score
But why the problem is only with Gmail? I still can't believe that it is on X10 side, (sure if they didn't block outgoing mails specifically for Gmail).

About your curiousity - I need it because when someone contacts I need to see from where it came, not that all mails from my own and to look inside what is the users mail address ))

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It isn't only with Gmail -- the servers here will not send mail with a spoofed from header; the from address must be from your domain.

Contact forms shouldn't be going to email in any case; they should be going to a CRM or trouble ticket database where they can be managed properly with status and other metadata.