Google Says "No Kids Allowed"

Hazirak

Reaction score
Apparently, that Google Terms of Service you agree to by creating an account or even using their search service states that you must be 18 or older to legally do so.
You may not use ... Google's products, software, services and web sites ... and may not accept the Terms if ... you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google.
Strange? Sure... but will it ever be enforced? Probably not. More than likely, it's just there to cover Google's butt if someone does something like commit suicide over a friend on MySpace (I know, Google doesn't own MySpace, just using it as an example) - all 50 US states require a person to be at least 18 to form a binding contract.

Read more

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If they say that their software cannot be used by anyone below 18 years old. I guess that means the Google Toolbar that comes on a lot of OEM installs for PCs and a lot of software like Adobe Flash Player or Java is causing kids to break the TOS :D

Hazirak

Reaction score
Nope, it's still there.
2.3 You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google...

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
It only makes sense... why would you write a contract that people can get past by agreeing to, when they are too young for that agreement to mean anything legally?

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
I'm sure its so that they arn't responsible for peoples actions. If it is not a legally binding contract that you accept to the ToS what is the reason for following it. People could sue google for things like letting children do things on it etc etc, its just a way of keeping themselves safe from the less-common-sensed people in the world.

warlordste

Reaction score
you cannot enter a contract for coz you have to sign for it to be a contract or you could say this person is not you also to as the person above says its to cover there own back and its the terms of service and as well you cannot even enter a contract till you turn the age of 18

kkenny

Reaction score
Although you have to be 18+ for a binding contract, if you have your parent's consent that law is negated (COPPA Act, and some other laws)

goldblue

Reaction score
Actually , I dont even read TOS when I signed up. So thanks for this piece of info.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
you cannot enter a contract for coz you have to sign for it to be a contract or you could say this person is not you also to as the person above says its to cover there own back and its the terms of service and as well you cannot even enter a contract till you turn the age of 18

You're right, but that's not quite true. Check this out: http://review.zdnet.com/4520-6033_16-4204767.html

It's quite an old article, but you don't have to sign EULA's etc, yet they're still enforcable. The only difference is that you're not forced to agree to Google's TOS prior to using their services.