Google's New Operating System

steronius

Reaction score
I run two VM's on a Mac Pro at all times (at work), and i have to say they fly. 6GB, + two GeForce 8800's.

p.s. Mac is BSD based not linux. similar but different.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Google will fill an open niche the "netbook", no competition from MS or Linux imho. It does not matter whether or not the Google OS is "good" or not, it will not meet my needs in its current development, so it is not an option for me ;)

I think many people will fall into the same category as myself: if it fits their needs or a need they have then it will be useful if not it won't. Personally, I don't think that there is any particular need to have one "almighty" operating system to "feed" the masses.

Linux fills a good niche, Windows still fills a good niche (despite the Vista/ME releases), Windows 7 I think will be a nice Milestone for MS (and Bill isn't scared as he does not "run" MS anymore ;), also the Google OS is not attempting to replicate or replace the functionality of Windows ), Google if they deliver what they are promising will fill the Netbook app niche.

Just my 2 cents :)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I run two VM's on a Mac Pro at all times (at work), and i have to say they fly. 6GB, + two GeForce 8800's.
Interesting. What do you run on them?

p.s. Mac is BSD based not linux. similar but different.
That IS what I said isn't it. I said mac is unix based like linux. I didn't say mac was linux based. But as you said, they are similar. ;)

zapzack

Reaction score
On my mac I can run 2 512 MB ram OS's or 1 1GB ram OS.. Since im on a macbook.. heh

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Is that all? How much ram does the macbook have?

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
My macbook is from August 07 and has 2GB of ram.. It can support 3GB but graphics are faster with 2GB.. (Apple supports only 2GB)

steronius

Reaction score
Interesting. What do you run on them?

I run a WinXP VM for a surveillance camera management system
and i run a xubuntu VM for torrents, browsing, & testing linux junk.

...and oops, musta been speed reading. :dunno:

and to bring it back closer to the GoogleOS discussion, after trying the gOS (not google OS) i just deleted it finding that i could put a dock-bar and widgets on my live xubuntu if i really wanted to.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I run a WinXP VM for a surveillance camera management system
and i run a xubuntu VM for torrents, browsing, & testing linux junk.
Yeah, both of those are both more light weight. Have you ever tried windows vista with the aero theme on VM? :D

and to bring it back closer to the GoogleOS discussion, after trying the gOS (not google OS) i just deleted it finding that i could put a dock-bar and widgets on my live xubuntu if i really wanted to.
That's the conclusion I came to also after using for 5 mins. But it's still easier to install that and get all the nice preconfigured effects than try and diy I think.

steronius

Reaction score
Yeah, both of those are both more light weight. Have you ever tried windows vista with the aero theme on VM? :D
[...]

Have Win7 RC, but dont really have a use for it. since i use the other two and of course THE MAC.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Have Win7 RC, but dont really have a use for it. since i use the other two and of course THE MAC.
Well, Win7 is still more usable than Vista.

Does anyone have news on when the Google OS is coming out?
Edit:
Edit

Here's a screenshot of one of the betas I found on gizmodo.
googleOS.jpg

Looks interesting doesn't it. The gui is definitely lacking, but then it was never meant to be a heavy weight OS.

Last edited:

zapzack

Reaction score
Well, Win7 is still more usable than Vista.

Does anyone have news on when the Google OS is coming out?
Edit:
Edit

Here's a screenshot of one of the betas I found on gizmodo.
googleOS.jpg

Looks interesting doesn't it. The gui is definitely lacking, but then it was never meant to be a heavy weight OS.

*cough*ugly*cough*

YOu would think they could make something look better..

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As I said:
ichwar said:
The gui is definitely lacking, but then it was never meant to be a heavy weight OS.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So it looks like the google os isn't what it was made out to be. Nonetheless I still warn you that you can't judge a book by its cover.;)

Only time will truly tell how good this os realy is.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd advise everyone here to move to linux before Google buys out Micro$oft. ;)

biscoolcool

Reaction score
I don't know if you know this but Google Chrome OS will start up in less then 25 seconds.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know if you know this but Google Chrome OS will start up in less then 25 seconds.

Any operating system can boot and initialize in under 20 seconds if it's tuned just right. Vista boots up within that time frame on my gaming machine. I've also gotten Windows XP to boot up in the same time frame, even less on fast machines running SATA II drive and lots of RAM (ever seen XP boot up in under 5 seconds? It's quite impressive if you're loading it off of RAM entirely, and for a hard drive that's even nice too. The thing is though you need to have very little drivers/devices on your system to boot XP this quick and you also need a very fast CPU :D). Linux is the same way. What would make it even faster is if you were loading it up from a Solid State Drive, as those are just high speed flash memory (about the speed of a VelociRaptor/Barracuda but quicker due to no mechanical read/write head).

Last edited:

lhyman

Reaction score
MAYBE if they remove all Google-Analytics & AdSense activities.

Did you know that if you login to google, they save all your search history unless you explicitly turn it off -- click on "My Account" and go to "Web History"

Thank you Google for spying -- major privacy issue here people!!!

(Still My Favorite Search Engine however!!!)

Really? I like that feature, especially the fact that I can log into gmail from any computer (anywhere) and get my bookmarks and browsing history. I like the fact that I can keep on working where I left off....

I don't think it's a privacy issue, I accepted that and I use it all the time...
Edit:
Interesting idea by Google but i really dont know if i like everything being web based like that the os will be based on I think that Id rather run actually programs rather than web based stuff like Google docs.

It would be nice if they gave free wifi in Canada and the US, it would be even nicer if they gave out free netbooks too.... LOL
Edit:
This is the closest thing to Google Chrome OS right now....

GOS Linux

have a look....

http://www.thinkgos.com/index.html

Last edited: