Hanlon Web Design

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1) i like the colors
2) i like the wood background
3) some of the images are pixelated, which distracts the attention (the nav bar and the magnifying glass)
4) i don't see how the green box under `Affiliates` and `Stats` is going to fit in, it looks as you just decided to throw a box in there cuz there was nothing else to do
5) and the way you use the rounded boxes to make the containers of the website, the placing doesn't look right

5.5/10

xanthophobia

Reaction score
Version 2 looks a lot better.
I like the turquoise/gray color scheme and the fact that the background has a design, but is not too complicated. The simplicity works.
Also, if you end up coding/slicing this layout, make sure the background image doesn't take too long to load compared to the actual content of the website.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah.

i'm going to be redoing it and making it more web 2.0 -ish.

ill upload the new one when I'm done.

withambition

Reaction score
It's decent, but it doesn't really stand out. There are millions of web design sites, so what are you going to do in order to represent your firm?

I suggest keep trying. The more practice you get, the better your templates will be..

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
... That doesn't help me at all. All you said is that it's "ok" and it needs to "stand out". It's going to be my website for my web design business. I don't understand why I have to "represent my firm". Not surebwuat your post even has to do with reviewing my design. Maybe you should try again, and post something other than things I already know, or maybe just make yourself understood, cause it looks like a toddler wrote that half ass job of a "review"

withambition

Reaction score
... That doesn't help me at all. All you said is that it's "ok" and it needs to "stand out". It's going to be my website for my web design business. I don't understand why I have to "represent my firm". Not surebwuat your post even has to do with reviewing my design. Maybe you should try again, and post something other than things I already know, or maybe just make yourself understood, cause it looks like a toddler wrote that half ass job of a "review"

Excuse me? I gave you constructive criticism; there is no need for you to become irate. If you expect to start your own web design "business" or whatever you'd like to call it, your communication skill are simply unacceptable.

I stated that your design was decent. It will work, but when compared to other sites that offer similar services, it won't stand out at all. Why do you have to "represent your firm"? Perhaps "firm" was the wrong word choice - I apologize. However, your website must represent the quality of your service. Your current design is not very appealing; therefore, the likeliness of attracting customers will suffer. There is not much you can do to fix your current design, which is why I advised you to keep trying and creating more designs until you get a better handle on it.

I'm just trying to be helpful. I apologize if you take my constructive criticism the wrong way, but I'm being truthful. Regardless of whether or not you can accept that, the best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

gptsven

Reaction score
It's decent, but it doesn't really stand out. There are millions of web design sites, so what are you going to do in order to represent your firm?

I suggest keep trying. The more practice you get, the better your templates will be..

I agree. 100%. it does not compete with other graphic design sites.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone lock this. too much flamin and stuff

Last edited:

StewieGG

Reaction score
I like the layout ... it's simple yet elegant. But you're going to need a "hook" for your customers ... I think someone was eluding to this when they said it doesn't "stand out".

I'm pretty sure you've probably worked on it quite a bit since those last posted drafts ... but a few ways to capture people is through

- Interactivity - to interest the user
- Color - to set the mood of the user
- Motion - to pull the user (usually their eyes)
- Sound - to enhance the user experience

if you can somehow integrate all 4 of these in a way that is professional, intuitive and still deliver your "product" ... your website will be world famous :)

What about content you say?

Well content is relative to whatever it is that you're trying to "sell" ... but those 4 integral methods will form the vehicle .. and your content will be your passenger. :)

Last edited: