HAs the PHP functinality suspended in Free Web hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiplvt

Reaction score
Hi,
Today I find my web site not running php scripts? My sever is stoli FREE hosting. Please let me know if anyone is facing the same issue and is there any remedy for the same.

Thanks in advance

zen-r

Reaction score
Last edited:

aiplvt

Reaction score
for some reason my php script stops executing in this socket_accept() , though it executes socket_listen() , socket_bind() , socket_create() .....The same working code is not working today. Any ideas and i shall wait for the up gradation to complete.

cmg777

Reaction score
Yea I feel ur pain at first my issue seemed to be security but then on the forums I found out the fact that the server was being updated was the true culprit. Now they must be doing some serious updates because now the basic form on my php contact form isn't even being allowed to show up on the site.

zen-r

Reaction score
Yes, not ideal - I know.

But sometimes these things happen, & we'll just have to hang on in there until staff have managed to deal with it all.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Some things are still broken or turned off from the server moves. Just give things some time to get sorted out, as the staff are pushed to their limits at the moment.

all4God

Reaction score
well, this clears things up for me - on my site (a wordpress blog) all the posts have been randomly disappearing over the last few hours - sometimes they are there, sometimes they aren't, so i'm guessing it is related to this.
Coincidently, when i first noticed it i'd been adding a new plugin, so it gave me a scare that i'd seriously mucked up the installation of it!

rfitton

Reaction score
Yeah the Mail() function as been removed due to security reasons :frown:

koogle

Reaction score
also noticed php isn't working on my new account :(

is this also why mysql is running slow?

lancernz

Reaction score
Yeah the Mail() function as been removed due to security reasons :frown:

Oh... my #$%#!!! Seriously, php.mail is the *only* reason I signed up to X10.

Without this feature, X10 is definitely not worth diddly squat for me. My site is to try and look for work as a 3D animator, and has a "contact me" page, with a form to fill in instead of giving out my email to all the spammers.

If php went down - I really really really wanted to know straight away!!! No wonder none of my prospective employers have been getting back to me. :mad:

So - is this a decision from here on in, that the free service gets no php mail and I really ought to look elsewhere?

zen-r

Reaction score

Without this feature, X10 is definitely not worth diddly squat for me. My site is to try and look for work as a 3D animator, and has a "contact me" page, with a form to fill in instead of giving out my email to all the spammers.

If php went down - I really really really wanted to know straight away!!! No wonder none of my prospective employers have been getting back to me.

So - is this a decision from here on in, that the free service gets no php mail and I really ought to look elsewhere?

Try reading the forums, the News section , the Community Support section, the.........
It's all been explained over & over.

Oh, & that question has already been answered in this thread as well! :nuts:

For those people still having problems, please make sure you have read this ;

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98693-latest-updates-6-18-09-a.html

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98555-latest-updates-6-14-09-a.html

Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score

If php went down - I really really really wanted to know straight away!!! No wonder none of my prospective employers have been getting back to me. :mad:

sigh...no it has not been "removed"...it was turned off along with several other services ASP.NET for example while the accounts were being moved because of resource use and/or having to be monitored. In Corey's latest post today he is getting FP extensions and ASP.NET back up I am sure mail() will be back up too.

It is unreasonable to expect a free service to have the same up time as a paid service; it would be reasonable to have another way to contact you since you expect your free site to be up like a paid service.

Let your prospective employers know that your site's hosting company is upgrading the servers and that you can be contacted in a different way until services are normalized, most reasonable people will understand.

just my 2 cents ;)

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
@Elesarr...... Hehe. Why did you feel the need to repeat that info for the umpteenth time?

If lancernz can't be bothered to read it from where it was already explained earlier in this thread OR the links I've given twice already, then surely he doesn't deserve it?

Your other points were good, though! ;)

Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score
@Elesarr...... Hehe. Why did you feel the need to repeat that info for the umpteenth time?

If lancernz can't be bothered to read it from where it was already explained earlier in this thread OR the links I've given twice already, then surely he doesn't deserve it?

Your other points were good, though! ;)

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess ;)....:lol:

plus I'd hate for someone new come along who is a decent person and reads misinformation then leaves would be a shame :happysad:

Last edited:

lancernz

Reaction score
Oh, & that question has already been answered in this thread as well! :nuts:

Well, no zen-r, neither your links nor earlier posts in this thread explained things clearly at all, so there's no need to start making :nuts: gestures and taking the p*ss on my first ever post here. I asked specifically about the php.mail being disabled... I've seen cases before where "security upgrades" amount to admin changing their minds about what they were offering as free services... by all accounts, with my php form replying "mail() has been disabled for security reasons" this looks very much what could have happened even after I've read previous posts about php shutting down.

PHP shut down <===> "disabled for security reasons" ...can you spot the difference zen-r? Why don't you read peoples questions carefully before shooting off like you're some kind of l337 legend who should be on everybody's avatar?

Elesarr Thanks for the more to the point explanation. It's kind of too late for those employers... certain ones I was really looking forward to happened to be looking into my portfolio on the week ending at June 20 and I've now got word they've hired others. I have already signed up for another webhost who has FTP upload and PHP as "paid for" one-off fee... so maybe it's just the way to go. I can only test drive a service I guess.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Well, no zen-r, neither your links nor earlier posts in this thread explained things clearly at all, so there's no need to start making :nuts: gestures and taking the p*ss on my first ever post here. I asked specifically about the php.mail being disabled... I've seen cases before where "security upgrades" amount to admin changing their minds about what they were offering as free services... by all accounts, with my php form replying "mail() has been disabled for security reasons" this looks very much what could have happened even after I've read previous posts about php shutting down.

PHP shut down <===> "disabled for security reasons" ...can you spot the difference zen-r? Why don't you read peoples questions carefully before shooting off like you're some kind of l337 legend who should be on everybody's avatar?

Elesarr Thanks for the more to the point explanation. It's kind of too late for those employers... certain ones I was really looking forward to happened to be looking into my portfolio on the week ending at June 20 and I've now got word they've hired others. I have already signed up for another webhost who has FTP upload and PHP as "paid for" one-off fee... so maybe it's just the way to go. I can only test drive a service I guess.

glad I could help, I will say though x10 is a great service you just came along during the hectic server upheaval - it will certainly all be smoothed out soon enough and we'll be back to good stability.

Good Luck with your job search! ;)

just to add my 2 cents:

I don't think the staff can change the message that replies when mail() is shut down, so when they told us they were turning off the services most of just assumed we would be getting numerous error if we had certain scrip[ts running zen-r wasn't trying to p*ss on you ;) many of us have been answering lots of posts this week in attempts to help people out who are new, take the stress off the staff and many members have been unsatisfied at best with our attempts to help. So we tend to post short to the point responses and direct people to Corey's posts. Nothing hurtful meant :)

Last edited:

lancernz

Reaction score
Yep, I should apologise for reacting sharply myself.

The x10 php is still down, though my paid for alternative is now fully up and running, with my external domain pointing to the new location. The same php formsend script I so much wanted works on both sites (when php is up) so I didn't have to reinvent any code. Because of the similarity I think I might keep both sites; the new location and the x10 one, so that when one has downtime or other such issues (as happens), I can temporarily switch to the other.

zen-r

Reaction score
@lancernz....If that was your 1st ever post, perhaps you should have come in with a bit more humility & asked politely rather than giving us the #$$##*$$ & the angry face.

If you didn't like my :nuts: gesture, try thinking about what gestures & impression you are presenting, yourself. You reap what you sow.

As for the question....it was answered. Clearly. Sorry you didn't like the answer, but that's all the info anyone has here, so that's all you can get.

Enjoy your service elsewhere.
bye.gif

Edit : this was written before your apology, above, appeared on my screen. Even if it wasn't an apology to me exactly, I'll take it as a sign that we can move on, in a pleasant way now.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.