Head over heels

theone48

Reaction score
This is a follow-up to my introductory post 'Dropping by to say Hello' in the introductions room. Hopefully this is the right room for this sort of topic; if not, I apologize. I'm in head over heels out of my element and I'm looking for the answer to a few questions. Maybe some of you experienced members might know something. The questions are:

1) I would like to know what, if anything I WON'T be able to have in my site if I opt to build a website from template and not HTML. Like a blog, polls, music, slideshow, paypal, etc... .

2) If I do build from HTML, how difficult would it be for me to make a certain look, like say similar to a template, but with my images instead. I've read HTML guides and could probably figure the commands, but I don't really know how to start. Maybe if I had a basic HTML template with instructions on what everything means, I might be able to configure and add on it, if you know what I mean. If there's anyone who could give me a basic starter guideline on how to build scratch from HTML, I'd appreciate it.

3) I've tried the free site builder that comes with x10 and I'm not seeing a preview of my site anytime I change something. Is this normal, or should I be able to see what I change the instant I select to change something. Right now, I'm not seeing any preview at all.

Anyone have any ideas on the above?

TO48

PS- 'head over heels' is my system question for this comment. Don't you just love how they come up with these?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
1) You are not permitted to host websites or use x10Hosting in a way that violates these content restrictions:
* No Warez! Absolutely under no circumstances do we allow any type of illegal or copyrighted material on our servers. Breaking this rule will get you a permanent suspension, we have a zero tolerance policy regarding this.
* Inactivity You are required to visit the forums at least once every 31 days to keep your account active, no posting is ever required.
* Bots\Scripts We do not allow any type of bot or script that runs constantly, free hosting is for creating a website, not for hosting your scripts.
* File Hosting Every file on your site must have to do with the website you put up, we are not a file storage service and we strictly prohibit scripts such as torrentflux or rapidleech.
* Crons We allow crons but they can not call a script hosted somewhere else and you must not have more than 1 running every 5 minutes.
* Adult Material Adult material is strictly forbidden on our free hosting services.
* Language Restriction At this time we only support sites that are in English, Spanish, or French. Sites not in one of these languages will be suspended.

2) You might want to look at a HTML/CSS tutorial, such as http://x10hosting.com/forums/tutorials/18212-html-css-basic-tutorial.html

3) Never used to x10 Site Builder, so I can't really help with this one. Joomla, Drupal and TYPO3 are similar to site builders (they're Content Management Systems) that can be installed via Softaculous.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I assume that we are talking about x10free-hosting

@Dead-i
adding to his post
Inactivity - You are required to visit the forums at least once every 31 days
....you must LOG-IN to http://x10hosting.com/forums/ with no more than 31 days between log-ins
....this is NOT once a month - log-in on 08/01/2011 and 09/15/2011 would be 45 days

Crons - you must not have more than 1 running every 5 minutes
....can NOT have two (2) or more running at the same time
....AND must be five (5) minutes after one ends and the next one starts
....assume less than two (2) seconds for each of ten (10) jobs to run - you could start each one at
....00:00 - 00:06 - 00:12 - 00:18 - 00:24 - 00:30 - 00:36 - 00:42 - 00:48 - 00:54 of each hour

Language Restriction - Sites not in one of these languages will be suspended
....you can have a site in any language - as long as you have a - easy to get to - link that
....points to a copy in one of those languages

one last thing about his post - you should read and understand these two links
Terms Of Service (TOS) http://x10hosting.com/terms
Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) http://x10hosting.com/aup

now for my input

1) the real question is - can I find a template (with add-ins) - that will make a web-site - that has everything I desire ?
....answer: probably

2a) the real question is - can I learn how to program a web-site - by hand coding ?
....answer: that is up to you and how you get along with it - only you have the answer

2b) anyone who could give me a basic starter guideline on how to build scratch from HTML ?
....answer: long lists on the web of sites about - how to program a web-site
....here is one list ==> http://www.google.com/search?q=Web+Development+and+Design+Tutorials

3) not sure which x10 site builder you used - current one is ==> RVSiteBuilder
....answer: most free site builders do not have 'instant' preview
....here is a list of 'instant' preview site builders http://www.google.com/search?q=free+site+builders+instant+preview

You need to keep your post to one subject - you will receive better answers

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
I assume that we are talking about x10free-hosting
I assume so. He probably isn't Prime since he doesn't have a Prime user group.

theone48

Reaction score
Dead-i,

Thanks for the quick run-down on things not to be done. I've read the tutorials and still confused at sitebuilder functions. Maybe someone who has set up a site using rvsitebuilder can walk me through those couple of steps after template selection. I've added to your rep, thanks again.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

bdistler,

Thank you for the insight. I'm new so have lots of things to figure out. BTW, what's Crons? Thanks for the links, I've read them through. Added to your rep and added you to my friends list as well. Talk to you soon.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
A "cron" or "cron job" is a scheduled task. (That's "cron" as in "chronometer" or "chronic", meaning "time".) You have access to a "cron tab", which will allow you to run scripts on schedule to do things like clean up databases, rewrite menus (so they can be served as "static" elements rather than having to be recomputed for every visit), fetch data from outside sources -- that sort of thing. There are restrictions in place to prevent your scheduled tasks (crons) from interfering with other users on the same server, and since there are more users per server on Free Hosting servers, the restrictions are tighter. (If you are running your own server, you can go crazy.)

theone48

Reaction score
I understand. Never run a server, so I'd no idea. Thanks essellar. Added to your rep.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
2) You might want to look at a HTML/CSS tutorial, such as http://x10hosting.com/forums/tutorials/18212-html-css-basic-tutorial.html
This particular tutorial carries too much misinformation. As such, it should be avoided. It uses presentational tags and makes no mention of structure or semantics. It doesn't mention that elements must be nested. It calls embedded style sheets "inline style". It uses "px" units for layout. Considering the author recommends W3Schools, none of this comes as a great surprise.

Better HTML tutorials:

Last edited:

theone48

Reaction score
Hello Misson,

Thanks for the links, I'll read them through. I've read many other HTML tutorials, the thing is none of them address how to use x10's template rvsitebuilder. The step after the one where I select a template is particularly confusing. If anyone has been through it and think they can walk me through, I'd appreciate it. misson, added to your rep.