help: co.cc expiration

veightar

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have seen that co.cc domains registered last year have an expiring date. Mine is about to expire and don't know what to do now. If any of you have had his domain name in co.cc expired before, please tell me what happened afterwards so as to get prepared. I'll be much grateful for any help given.

Hue Kares

Reaction score
I found nothing about the renewal process on www.co.cc. I found this forum thread where they state that only the first year of registration is free.

If this is correct, I find this company quite misleading. Not only do they not mention this when you sign up, but the service they advertise - a free domain - you don't get... co.cc is the actual domain (cc is the ccTLD for the Cocas Islands) - so you actually get a subdomain of co.cc.

Unfortunately, it looks like there's no such thing as a free domain...

If I were you, I would seek confirmation from their support team at hlp@co.cc, and perhaps post back here so we've got some facts.

Hope this helps you. Sorry for the disappointing news...

Jonthefisherman

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay for .co.cc. If you are considering renewing you're domain just buy a TLD at GoDaddy, Name.com or X10.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Man this sucks :( ... and it's not right too.

You can't find anything about this on their site and that my friends is called SCAM. They advertise allover the word, people are advertising for them (telling everyone how great and "FREE" it is) and then when you end up using their domain and make something of it ... guess what ... you have to pay for it. The best part is they don't bother informing you about it until your domain expires. So if you crated your domain some time ago and didn't login to co.cc for a long time you won't even know they added expire date.

This is WRONG. Scamming people to star using their "free" domain and hoping somebody will depend on it so much that he/she would have to pay.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Man this sucks :( ... and it's not right too.

You can't find anything about this on their site and that my friends is called SCAM. They advertise allover the word, people are advertising for them (telling everyone how great and "FREE" it is) and then when you end up using their domain and make something of it ... guess what ... you have to pay for it. The best part is they don't bother informing you about it until your domain expires. So if you crated your domain some time ago and didn't login to co.cc for a long time you won't even know they added expire date.

This is WRONG. Scamming people to star using their "free" domain and hoping somebody will depend on it so much that he/she would have to pay.

One year domain registration for $0

I had to go copy that off their site - doesn't say anywhere I can see that you -won't- have to pay for it after a year, and it does indicate it's $0 for one year.

Sounds more like a case of not doing the research before setting it up and now it's down to either buying from them or buying a real domain from somewhere else.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if your site is a well founded sight, they you probably shouldn't move it. but if it's still new, you'd probably be better off buying a TLD now.

Last edited: