Help downloading an uploaded file

Status
Not open for further replies.

supportfreedom

Reaction score
I have an archive (.zip) file that I have uploaded to my site folder. I try this address and I can't download the file: http://freedomlive.exofire.net/pictures.zip
It appears to begin downloaded but immediately quits without more than 465 bytes read.
I have put the file in the main website folder, the www folder, and the index file folder and I still get errors on each one. How would I make this file available where it can be downloaded from a link?

Last edited:

sarvar

Reaction score
Try putting it in a folder containing the word "public". Not sure of the exact folder name, due to my absence from x10.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I got a 404 error while trying to get the file. Did you take it down? It should work simply by sticking it into the public_html folder. You can also try using the public_ftp folder where you should be able to host the file and transfer it via FTP.

Last edited:

supportfreedom

Reaction score
It appears to be in the public_html folder, although I never manually moved it there. Any other ideas?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm. Here, at the bottom of this post, there is a file I'd like you to upload to your site's public_html folder. Once it's in there, I'll try to download it (you can try downloading it as well). The ZIP File has nothing in it, so it's basically a pile of 1s and 0s and is unreadable should you be wondering what is in it. If this works, then we'll have to see what's going on with the file you linked to above.

http://seansite.dyndns.org/downloads/test.zip

supportfreedom

Reaction score
I'm glad they worked for you, they did for me as well. The original is about 160 mb in size, is this the problem? There may be a file size limit for the free hosting. Is this the problem?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I was able to download the file from you earlier. Can't check it now though since your server is down. Otherwise, I'm not aware of anything that would be blocking download greater than a certain amount of megabytes for free hosting. I know there's PHP memory limits, but other than that, it's just a matter of running up your bandwidth usage.

zen-r

Reaction score
Last edited:

supportfreedom

Reaction score
I was able to download the file from you earlier. Can't check it now though since your server is down. Otherwise, I'm not aware of anything that would be blocking download greater than a certain amount of megabytes for free hosting. I know there's PHP memory limits, but other than that, it's just a matter of running up your bandwidth usage.

I really appreciate the help; just to clarify, were you able to successfully download the 157 mb file without corruption?

Elesarr

Reaction score
It may be.

Is this thread accurate & up-to-date? ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-h...unt-size-limited-files-upload.html#post501318

I'm not sure it applies to your method, though.

when I was in my cPanel last night, the notation next to a file upload was a max of like 995mb file that could be uploaded ( I was transferring my site back via zip file.)

You may have just had issues because of server load.

Personally, I'd wait since they are close to being done and then see if the issue still exists. ;)

EDIT:

doh! I just logged into my cPanel to look and the file size max for uploads is 649.61 MB ;)

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I really appreciate the help; just to clarify, were you able to successfully download the 157 mb file without corruption?

Wasn't able to try it. I just tried it now and it 404'd on me, so I'm not sure if you had taken the file down or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.