help me improve plz

walidno1

Reaction score
Ok, I am a very novice logo designer (good thing its just a hobby!! :D ). Anyway, I have designed a few logo for free over a few months. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to lend me some advice on how to improve the designs. I have recently added a portfolio page on my site and would love if you would gimme advice.

here is the page:http://myriad.x10hosting.com/Portfolio.html

walidno1

Reaction score
awww....guys.... :p

ty for the comments but u can criticize the works.... I want to learn.. Maybe start the business I wanted to start which got sidelined sadly when I learnt I had to learn php to make a website that supports credit card checkout function.... :(

Last edited:

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ohoo..
Your work is quite wonderful for a novice to do.You are a designer.
If you can keep all the logos in a gallery web software..the site will look awesome
In order to save your time,you can use Jalbum software.
There are certain skins in this jablum where you can even put adsense ads around each image.
If you tweak in further the options to sorround images with ads is awesome
here is the link

http://jalbum.net

Regards,
VVBB

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@walidno1

credit card checkout function ? Like what ?

I don't think you can implement that here on x10 free hosting service.

First, you don't have https/ssl support here on x10 free hosting service.
Secondly, it is a shared ip based service.

So,you have to opt for premium service.

Ta Ta !

walidno1

Reaction score
@ Maestro: yeah, I figured. Well, I won a domain+ website from x10hosting for a year during the free give away, but not confident enuf to go for the business.. In any case, my exams are coming to an end and I would once again start the FREE LOGO give-away offer to improve my portfolio. In any case, ty guys.

Btw, do u think the logos I design will sell for around $5 -10 bucks? Its just a hobby, so just thinking, might be a good way to earn some money since I got a bit spare time from time to time.... The professionals charge good amount and altho mine isn;t the best around, still, a bit cheaper would suit many ppl!!

So, want ur feedback on that!!

Last edited:

smoinuddin111075

Reaction score
Novice?

I saw your website, logos there tell me you are just working with effects, not the overall layout

and they are also telling me that you are trying to achieve something, thats what i like in you

GOOD WORK! KEEP IT GOING!!

Also have a look at my designs here : http://smoinuddin1110.deviantart.com

I was beginner when designing those but still they are good, i kept practising and i am perfect now

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Some good designs in there, have you considered taking part in the free to enter competitions over at Worth1000.com? The cash prizes are not huge but it's a start and the kudos goes a long way, plus lots of help and support from other professionals and talented amateurs.

walidno1

Reaction score
really?? Well, first thank you for your review.And I will definitely look into it. As you can see, this is just a hobby so if I get ANY money, its enough. Heck, even if i don't get any cash, the experience and reviews from other designers is a reward in itself. Cheers mate and hope I can make something good in that site.

Thank you.

Hope you will hear from me again once I become good and start the website like i wanted to!

xadarshx44

Reaction score
Hey, I was looking through your portfolio.
1. I personally think your lying way to heavily on text effects.
2. Your designs have originallity but I think if you put a more double meaning would be great.
3. For example see this, http://www.logofaves.com/2009/06/yoga-australia/ its amazing double concept. If you don't see it, look at the space between her arm and leg.
4. The simpler the logos the more better it comes. remember logos need to be printed on paper head some times. Complex colors and all won't come out on a black and white prints.
5. Get ideas from this site. http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
6. Or even this site http://www.logofaves.com

Hope this helps.

walidno1

Reaction score
Yeah... Thank you for the review mate.. Yeah, the logo examples you linked were very helpful. I guess I have to work on the double meaning thing and look at each design from a lot of angles.

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@ Maestro: yeah, I figured. Well, I won a domain+ website from x10hosting for a year during the free give away, but not confident enuf to go for the business.. In any case, my exams are coming to an end and I would once again start the FREE LOGO give-away offer to improve my portfolio. In any case, ty guys.

Btw, do u think the logos I design will sell for around $5 -10 bucks? Its just a hobby, so just thinking, might be a good way to earn some money since I got a bit spare time from time to time.... The professionals charge good amount and altho mine isn;t the best around, still, a bit cheaper would suit many ppl!!

So, want ur feedback on that!!

Hey Walid!

I will be more than okay paying you upto 1000 taka,but will make you work!
(Do this! Do that! - Make a superman with a head of a tiger, wings of a golden eagle,blah blah..)
:)

I think selling them in that range or something above that in your domestic market would depend on your "money-sucking-skills", also known as publicity skills.
Seriously,you got the "designer" skills.
All you need is "publicity skills" to sell them in excess of 1000.
(Try participating in competitions.)

For foreign customers,you may need to lower the range to say 3.0 to 6.
Keep in mind those "foreign-exchange-taxes" laws too.

xadarshx44

Reaction score
I had friends who were part of graphic design buissness. Ray of Light. It was a old company they don't exist anymore due to some issues. Anyway they designed planet of the apes website. Even a few members of the team were designers in the Gamespy logo and other major brands. They were always about simplicity goes alot further then complexity. Both in time and being easier on the eyes.

Anyway good luck on your venture.

walidno1

Reaction score
yea, I will be starting on the designing stuff within a few days. Man, took a really long break from logo designing due to study load. Anyway, will be working on a newer better layout for the site with working javascript and php. After that, I wll float an offer to make logos for free. So, if anyone is interested in giving me a chance to improve my skills, look out for the offer.

cheers

denzil

Reaction score
yea, I will be starting on the designing stuff within a few days. Man, took a really long break from logo designing due to study load. Anyway, will be working on a newer better layout for the site with working javascript and php. After that, I wll float an offer to make logos for free. So, if anyone is interested in giving me a chance to improve my skills, look out for the offer.

cheers
I'll definitely be on the look-out!

roby718

Reaction score
@walidno1

credit card checkout function ? Like what ?

I don't think you can implement that here on x10 free hosting service.

First, you don't have https/ssl support here on x10 free hosting service.
Secondly, it is a shared ip based service.

So,you have to opt for premium service.

Ta Ta !

Run it through paypal, so that the transaction is made on paypal's website (they do that you know)

walidno1

Reaction score
yea but I need to use php to link payments so that the ones that pay is recorded...Maybe using cookies. I have no idea on PHP or mysql so dunno how to integrate it (PS: I wud want to use alertpay instead of paypal because paypal doesn;t extend their service to Bangladesh)!

walidno1

Reaction score
So, emm integration of website with alertpay checkout script isnt possible unless i am a good php and my sql programmer?

stardom

Reaction score
So, emm integration of website with alertpay checkout script isnt possible unless i am a good php and my sql programmer?

Yes and no. You need the ones who pay to get recorded. So you would have to have a user account system, unless you make a script to send logo to email address instead after payment is received. I would say first devise a plan on how the user will get the item. PHP and SQL are not that hard. I don't fully know the language myself, but I am pretty avid on editing code. I have a php page set up so users of my game can donate money for percs. I can show you what some of that code looks like, so you can get an idea of how your php would look. Just let me know.

I too am an novice logo/banner maker. What program do you use for these?