help needing to build a desktop

dhruv227

Reaction score
I wanted to get a new desktop ( an assembled one ), but don't know what to get for how much. Please help me in building a one. I usually use computer for email, chat, music, movies, internet surfing and sometimes programming and play old games, if possible can u build me a pc which can easily run Vista and later on Windows 7.

thanks

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It sounds like you want a really good graphics card for the gaming (and vista :)) and when you run the compiler for the programming you will notice a huge difference depending on which processor you get... That's about all I know right now.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, the real question is, what is your budget shooting for? I have a whole list of hardware suggestions and combos that I can suggest, but to get anywhere, we need a budget. If anything, we are going to be getting you a dual core CPU at a minimum (I would suggest the Intel Q6600 for a quad core. Cheap but very capable chip!), 2GB of RAM minimum and a good 500GB SATA Hard Drive. Also, the video card will be a GeForce or a Radeon, no on-board crappiness. This setup will suit your needs, as well as future proof you for a few years.

Last edited:

bookworm99

Reaction score
Well, I'd recommend avoiding Vista, especially since Windows 7 is just down the road. You should definitely get a computer loaded with XP instead. As for budget, you can get a fine computer for $600, but graphics capability will be... limited... to say the least.

dbojan

Reaction score
600$ is not so big if you want to play games, but if you play games 2+ years old it will be enough.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
600$ is not so big if you want to play games, but if you play games 2+ years old it will be enough.

Lol dude, leme make a decent build for around 600 that can play every game out right now *excluding GTA4 cause its optimized like *****

I'll edit this when done. *if I get to it*

~Blaze

Last edited:

hcse26

Reaction score
i would be playing 2+ yr old games.

Lol well in that case you can go for a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA Hard Drive, 19-21" Widescreen monitor but still, don't settle for On-Board VGA Crappiness.

For that budget, you can get discrete or mid-end PCI-Express Slot GeForce or Radeon card which should be more than enough if you're playing 2+ Year games like GTA:San Andreas.

I got a discrete card which is GeForce 8400GS 256MB (Expandable up to 512MB via RAM) and it plays Guitar Hero III (Q4 2007) and Red Alert (Q4 2008) but plays ok with no GFX lagging whatsoever.

Hope I helped ;)

Last edited:

hcse26

Reaction score
Well that's the best bang for your buck but the 1st Review says "
Value for money - Not recommended for Gaming
"

Does that answer your question?

xPlozion

Reaction score
Lol well in that case you can go for a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA Hard Drive, 19-21" Widescreen monitor but still, don't settle for On-Board VGA Crappiness.

For that budget, you can get discrete or mid-end PCI-Express Slot GeForce or Radeon card which should be more than enough if you're playing 2+ Year games like GTA:San Andreas.

I got a discrete card which is GeForce 8400GS 256MB (Expandable up to 512MB via RAM) and it plays Guitar Hero III (Q4 2007) and Red Alert (Q4 2008) but plays ok with no GFX lagging whatsoever.

Hope I helped ;)
i agree with the processor and ram, although ram is pretty cheap ;). the only thing i don't like about the setup is the video card. the 8400gs played like crap on gh3, making all settings minimum w/ no effects or crowd and still had low fps. the 9800gt is only $120 (xfx's come w/ cod4), so it's not a big deal, just make sure you get a psu w/ a pci-e connector ;)

Last edited:

hcse26

Reaction score
i agree with the processor and ram, although ram is pretty cheap ;). the only thing i don't like about the setup is the video card. the 8400gs played like crap on gh3, making all settings minimum w/ no effects or crowd and still had low fps. the 9800gt is only $120 (xfx's come w/ cod4), so it's not a big deal, just make sure you get a psu w/ a pci-e connector ;)

well I just have to make sure I have money :naughty:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
One of my computers (actually one that I'm using right now) is everything you need and costs way less then 600$.

Motherboard: ASUS P5PL2-E
- whit outboard 5.1 sound card

CPU: Intel Pentium E2160 LGA775 1.80GHz 1MB L2
- It's almost identical to Core 2 Duo E4300. It's cheap and pretty good. You can also easily overclock it to 3.0GHz.

RAM: 2GB (667MHz/800MHz) Kingston.
- but the motherboard supports only 533MHz

Graphics: ASUS EN7300GT SILENT/HTD/256M GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported
- I guess you could buy a newer one but for 2+ year old games you don't need better. I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and F.E.A.R. whit no problems.

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 200GB SATA300

Calculate this with monitor you want and you will see that it's less then $600. And I can tell you it works great (for that kind of money).

crabbypup

Reaction score
wow. i have looked all over, and you guys are wrong! don't get an intel cpu. they run way too hot and are slower(and more expensive) than the AMD Athlon x2 5000+. get yourself a motherboard for 60$ and pick up a 2gb DDR2 800 dual channel ram kit (25$). get yourself a case + power supply as well as a vid card. i recommend an ATI sapphire card with 256mb+ of DDR3 vram(you can get one for about 100$). don't forget HDD's (but you could probably just transplant the drives from your old PC for this). this system is pretty darn cheap. (i was actually thinking of making myself this system, but i bought an 800$ HP G60 laptop instead).

oh, and BTW i am sourcing all of this stuff from http://www.directcanada.com/

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
wow. i have looked all over, and you guys are wrong! don't get an intel cpu. they run way too hot and are slower(and more expensive) than the AMD Athlon x2 5000+. get yourself a motherboard for 60$ and pick up a 2gb DDR2 800 dual channel ram kit (25$). get yourself a case + power supply as well as a vid card. i recommend an ATI sapphire card with 256mb+ of DDR3 vram(you can get one for about 100$). don't forget HDD's (but you could probably just transplant the drives from your old PC for this). this system is pretty darn cheap. (i was actually thinking of making myself this system, but i bought an 800$ HP G60 laptop instead).

I've honestly found that Intel chips run warmer than AMD chips (Except in a couple cases), but they do run faster than AMD chips. My quad core Intel CPU on my gaming system is sitting at 30 celcius right now with light use and the entire system is cooled by large fans. When gaming, the chip runs at about 34 celcius unless I'm multithreading a game on it, then it'll probably hit close to 38 celcius.

Last edited:

Picard1595

Reaction score

Where have you been since Intel Core 2 came out? It is a known fact that intel Core2 out performs any AMD dual core processor (although not the triple or quad) And AMDs quad still can't beat the Core2Extreme, much less the Core i7. Anyways for now Intel is the way to go, even if they do run a bit warm that isn't a problem for desktop computers.

tridge

Reaction score
Where have you been since Intel Core 2 came out? It is a known fact that intel Core2 out performs any AMD dual core processor (although not the triple or quad) And AMDs quad still can't beat the Core2Extreme, much less the Core i7. Anyways for now Intel is the way to go, even if they do run a bit warm that isn't a problem for desktop computers.

Agreed.