Resolved Help with setting up old blog onto new subdomain

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisownma

Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks for reading my post.

I've set up a new domain name on a subdomain of my x10 account and I've installed Wordpress on it for my blog. I've got a blog I used with my old domain name and I want to use it with my new domain name. I don't have a great deal of knowledge on this as you can probably tell but I'm guessing I need to take the existing blog database and move it to where Wordpress is now installed on the subdomain?

Could anyone tell me how I might get started with doing this?

Let me know if that's really unclear and you need some more information!

Thanks again.

Kieran.

hisownma

Reaction score
Thanks @garrettroyce Somehow, I seem to have deleted my blog from the old domain. God knows how that's happened. I don't suppose there's any way of recovering it? And nope, I haven't got a back up downloaded. Just the database that I downloaded yesterday :(

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to just grab fresh files from wordpress.org, and then manually edit wp-config.php to reflect the OLD database. This won't help you with uploaded content however, but it would restore settings and textual content as that is stored in the database.

At this time there are no individual backups, we do have backups in case of server failure but not an easy way to extract specific files from one account only.

hisownma

Reaction score
Hi Anna,

I've got the old database and I've installed a wordpress to the blog folder but I'm having problems importing the old database into the new one. I get this:

Error
SQL query:

— Database: hisownma_wordpress1

CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS hisownma_wordpress1 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci
MySQL said: Documentation

#1044 – Access denied for user ‘da_sso_hqFbdn7jm’@’localhost’ to database ‘hisownma_wordpress1’

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kieran.

hisownma

Reaction score
I think I've made some progress...

I’ve created a database, hisownman_new and I’ve managed to upload my old database into it. I’ve updated the wp-config.php with the new database name and username, as well as the password (which I won’t post!) and I’m now at a point where when I go to hisownmancounselling.co.uk/blog, it switches to https://hisownmancounselling.co.uk/blog/wp-admin/install.php and it wants me to select a language and begin a new installation.

I was kind of hoping to see something that looked a bit like my old blog :)

Any advice?

Thanks,

Kieran.

hisownma

Reaction score
I've since updated the wp-config.php, so the $table_prefix matches the tables and rather than getting an installation page, it's just blank...

hisownma

Reaction score
@garrettroyce thanks for your help. I'm all sorted! I uninstalled Wordpress and re-installed it again and imported the database and it's all up and running again. I was and still am getting lots of 521 errors and I'm guessing maybe Wordpress didn't install properly the first time around.

Thanks again but this one can be marked as resolved.

Kieran.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It could indeed be the installation process was halted due to those recurring problems, we are aware of the 521 errors (it is not only affecting cloudflare users however, it is a problem that occurs on all servers intermittently.
I have made higher ups aware, but they have not replied me with any information.

hisownma

Reaction score
I thought it was something involving Cloudflare. Oh well, these things happen. I can cope with the connection being lost now that everything is installed and running ok.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure you haven't seen the last of me! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.