How about having a moderator create new categories and automatically move threads to the correct one?

promolsx

Reaction score
It's pretty hard to find anything on the Community Forum (although not as hard as on Discord!) when there are only five or ten categories on the front page, and some of them have 1400 pages' worth of threads (forget Search - it can't find anything, even things you just visited - probably a Google search engine). Could a moderator create 50 or 100 new categories (like "Help! I'm having trouble logging in!", or "Help! I'm getting a bill and I'm only using the free service!"), and when someone posts a thread "Help! It won't let me log in!" in "Feedback and Suggestions", the moderator moves it to "Help! I'm having trouble logging in!" without even bothering to notify the poster or post a scolding response? Or, better yet, set up the system to generate an E-mail automatically to the poster that reads something like "Your off-topic post has been moved from 'Feedback and Suggestions' to 'Help! I'm having trouble logging in!'"

ctyrd

Reaction score
@promolsx
No matter how many categories x10 community staff creates, new members will post anywhere they want. More categories will just create more maintenance for x10 staff. As a community help forum staff provides and moderates a community to provide help to each other. Members providing help to other members.

promolsx

Reaction score
True. People always find ways around the rules, no matter how simple and clear they are. That's why it would be great to have a moderator creating the categories and relocating threads to the correct ones. In fact, we could all help out if there were a button at the bottom of each thread post reading something like "Move this thread to another category". As soon as the thread got ten presses of the button from different members that all agreed where the thread should be reposted, the system automatically moves it. Presto! No moderator time required! I wonder how many threads don't get any response at all just because they were posted in the wrong place, and the people who could have seen them and responded didn't, because they weren't looking in the wrong place.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you volunteering to manage the categories and move posts? We all do the support here in our spare time as volunteers, having a whole lot of places where users can misspost is not going to help anyone. It would only work if we have a new moderator role that only moves posts to the correct places, as well as only one place users can actually post a new thread. And they should be disallowed from posting in anyone elses thread as well. It gets messy when users find a thread a year old and post "I have the same problem", and 99% of the time it turns out it was not even the same problem when you look into it.

Actually, I don't see this being a feasible option for many reasons, so it is not going to happen.

promolsx

Reaction score
Again, as I said above, moderator time wouldn't be necessary if every post had a button at the bottom that allowed a reader to suggest that it be moved elsewhere. Ten such presses suggesting a single location, and the system automatically moves the post, immediately sending out E-mails to all parties "watching" that such-and-such post has been moved to such-and-such thread (or a new thread) in such-and-such category. This would take care of the "I have the same problem" post which turns out not to be the same problem, as well. Just a suggestion.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
as Anna stated your suggestion just isnt feasible.
as helper, ive seen many people posting anywhere they can like they dont pay attention.
if people learned to read topics instead of ignoring them and posting wherever they wanted,
then that would lessen the amount of "i have the same problem" posts.
but thats just my 2 cents about this.