Resolved How are Sub-domains supposed to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westbocaeiruv

Reaction score
I set up a subdomain alongside my primary domain. I gave it a folder under 'domains' in my file area.

How is it supposed to be accessed by the http client? Should it just be "sub.domain.x10host.com"? Or do I need to actually register a new domain with a registrar, because I only get 1 free one with x10?

Any advice or suggestions on how this is supposed to work? The self-help is out of date.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It isn't publicized anywhere, but DirectAdmin will let you sign up for any of the x10 owned subdomains. If you wanted myexample-a.x10host.com and myexample-b.x10host.com, DirectAdmin will let you add them.

There is a subdomain section of DirectAdmin for subdomains. If you have a custom domain (or subdomain) with a registrar, then you have to create the required DNS with the registrar, and it is set up the same as a domain. Then you can create a sub (sub) domain using the subdomains section of DirectAdmin.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I set up a subdomain alongside my primary domain. I gave it a folder under 'domains' in my file area.

How is it supposed to be accessed by the http client? Should it just be "sub.domain.x10host.com"? Or do I need to actually register a new domain with a registrar, because I only get 1 free one with x10?

Any advice or suggestions on how this is supposed to work? The self-help is out of date.
If you have domain.x10host.com, then the folder for sub.domain.x10host.com would be located inside the public_html for the main domain as: /domains/domain.x10host.com/public_html/sub

This folder would automatically be created when you create the subdomain inside DirectAdmins interface, it won't work unless you create it, you can unfortunately not chose the name of the folder so you can not point it to an already existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.