How can i create a forum?

Turato

Reaction score
Help I'm so confused I have phpBB-3.0.1.zip and not sure If I should unzip it or just upload it. Im very confused. Help please! (i know where to upload)l

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
You need to unzip it first, then upload the contents to the public_html folder on your account.

Turato

Reaction score
That is where I am confused. I am not sure to upload all the files manually or is there some way of uploading all of them at once?

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
You can upload all files by FTP, or upload the Zip file, then go to cPanel > File Manager and uncompress it.

This section is only for hosting account related problems.
Thread moved to: "Scripts & 3rd Party Apps".

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
you can do these steps:
1- enter in your cpanel
2- enter in the file manager
3- enter in "public_html" folder
4- upload the .zip file
5- when it finish, you can extract your .zip file in your own folder, example: "public_html/forum"
6- Now, you can install you forum ^^ (remember: before the installation, you need to do sql db and user in your cpanel ^^)
Extra: when your unzip finishes successful you can delete the .zip file ^^
Good Luck

This is a spanish tutorial about how unzip the files ^^

grettigns
salu2

Turato

Reaction score
you can do these steps:
1- enter in your cpanel
2- enter in the file manager
3- enter in "public_html" folder
4- upload the .zip file
5- when it finish, you can extract your .zip file in your own folder, example: "public_html/forum"
6- Now, you can install you forum ^^ (remember: before the installation, you need to do sql db and user in your cpanel ^^)
Extra: when your unzip finishes successful you can delete the .zip file ^^
Good Luck

This is a spanish tutorial about how unzip the files ^^

grettigns
salu2
Okay I unzipped. I just dont know how to do step 6

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
the step 6? create db and user, or install the forums?
if you need do db and user, you can see my tutorial (in spanish, but have images), if you have problems whit the tutorial, i can helpyou in pm ^^
so, if you need install your forum, you can enter in: yourweb.com/forumfolder/install/ and here i dont remember what is the exactly file .php XD

grettings
salu2

LHVWB

Reaction score
1. Open up cpanel.
2. Go to 'MySQL databases'
3. Create a new database, call it phpbb3 or something similar. ("Create New Database")
4. Create a new user for that database. ("Add New User")
5. Link the user to the database. ("Add User To Database")

Remember the username, userpassword and databasename. You will need them when you setup phpbb3, which you can do by opening its location in your webbrowser.

Turato

Reaction score
Okay I made a database (thank you verbsite) now I am not sure which file to open, I tried all of them they dont work. Here is the list (I didnt try the ones inside the folders)

convertors
data
schemas
database_update.php
index.php
install_convert.php
install_install.php
install_main.php
phpinfo.php

LHVWB

Reaction score
The file that you want is actually "/install/index.php", but if you open the index.php file in your root directory of phpbb3, it should redirect you there anyway. Remember that you need to open it on your live website, not in Cpanel.

Turato

Reaction score
The file that you want is actually "/install/index.php", but if you open the index.php file in your root directory of phpbb3, it should redirect you there anyway. Remember that you need to open it on your live website, not in Cpanel.
I opened a new mozilla firefox window and went there and it showed a blank page...

Last edited:

LHVWB

Reaction score
I opened a new mozilla firefox window and went there and it showed a blank page...

It may need the intemediate version of php. You can upgrade in your account panel, it will take 6 to 12 hours for your version to update after your application has been accepted. Otherwise I can't work out what the error could be. Maybe you made an error while you were installing it? Are there any error messages? Such as "use of eval() function is not permitted". If upgrading doesn't work then I suggest that you redownload and then upload phpbb3.

Turato

Reaction score
It may need the intemediate version of php. You can upgrade in your account panel, it will take 6 to 12 hours for your version to update after your application has been accepted. Otherwise I can't work out what the error could be. Maybe you made an error while you were installing it? Are there any error messages? Such as "use of eval() function is not permitted". If upgrading doesn't work then I suggest that you redownload and then upload phpbb3.
I dont know what you mean by install. I just uploaded the zip to public_html, unzipped it and all the files wre then in the folder phpbb3. I then opened index.php (in the phpbb3 folder) and nothing executes, it just shows a blank page.
I have installed the data base too.. and my request for intermediate php is pending

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
x10 has security features in place that limits what PHP commands are allowed. All new users are started at basic. 90% of software used will work with Intermediate. You have to request this upgrade, as stated, in your Account Management Panel ( http://www.x10hosting.com/account ) which you login with your forum name and password. Please state why you are wanting the upgrade to Intermediate.

Once accepted, it will take the script that runs between 6 and 12 hrs to run.

LHVWB

Reaction score
I dont know what you mean by install. I just uploaded the zip to public_html, unzipped it and all the files wre then in the folder phpbb3. I then opened index.php (in the phpbb3 folder) and nothing executes, it just shows a blank page.
I have installed the data base too.. and my request for intermediate php is pending

Sorry I meant uploading it. If it still doesn't work with the php version upgrade, then you should try to download it from the phpbb website, upload it and then uncompress it again.

Turato

Reaction score
Thanks so much verbsite. and starshine! it works perfectly!
Just one question though. How can I change the title of it and on the top of the pages like board index theres some text that says:
yourdomain.com
A short text to describe your forum

which file has that info so I can edit that out and put my own

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Go into the admin Contol Panel of PHPBB3, and go to the General Category, or whatever, (I havnt used it in forvever), and there should be a thing to change the default. Otherwise, just edit the <head> section of the "index.php"