Votes: 2 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • may be

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

hamtum

Reaction score
tell me guys and girls:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

merrillmck

Reaction score
I'm new to all this but I think it comes down to your product/idea, your site/app quality, and your marketing. You definitely need the first two and unless you get lucky you'll probably need to market your website or product too.

1. Product/idea - no one is going to repeatedly visit your website, encourage others to visit it, or purchase something on your website unless there is interesting content on it.

2. Quality - if you have a great idea and information but broken links, error messages, and just any other issues that make the experience bad then it's likely you won't get repeat visitors and you might earn a negative reputation. If you truly have a great idea and broken website, then a savvy person might take your idea and make a slick website and market your idea. Think you'll sue them? ... what if they're out of another country?

3. Marketing - eventually you need to get the word out. Your website needs to appear on search engines. You need links out there pointing your way. Maybe you'll need to purchase advertising if you stand a chance to make more money in the long run. If someone wants your product then they need to be able to find it.

Again, to me this all seems like common sense and pretty in line with a non-web business or money-making model. I think you're kidding yourself if you think you can just make a generic site and suddenly get a financial windfall.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Should clarify on the lawsuit thing too, I'm not entirely positive you -cant- sue someone from another country (although it surely makes it more difficult), but you'd still have to prove they actually stole your idea.

That'd be tricky to do with a broken website, so having a good site works two fold - one, someone's less likely to take the idea because it's already working and is KNOWN to be the original, and two, if they do steal the idea, you've already got a track record as having the idea first.

merrillmck's also way right at the very last line in his post - this isn't something like "stick such-and-such's ads on the site and you'll be making millions," it's more like "you're gunna have to get something good going FIRST, before the ads will bring in enough to even break even."

Tip #1 for that though? No offense to x10, but get off of free hosting (if you're on free ANYWHERE for that matter). Seriously. Doesn't matter if your site is filled with solid gold if it's down for any length of time longer than 2-3 minutes daily, and while x10's the best, no one's perfect - even x10 has downtime, although lately with the server consolidation it's been worse than usual.