How do you as web designers host your clients' websites?

woozy

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering how all the web designers here host their clients and/or sell them domain names. Do you buy one shared hosting account and put all their sites there, or do you give each of them their own separate accounts by becoming a reseller? Or do you tell them to buy hosting elsewhere?

I'd really appreciate as many answers as possible. Thanks!

akkudreamz

Reaction score
it depends on the client's requirements...you can always offer him (what will benefit you)
it would be better to get separate hosting for dynamic sites..big web products /services
and shared hosting for small static ones..
even with paid hosting there is some restriction on the number of databases..and in time you'll fall short of that...even if you have webspace on that host

the company i am working with has 20 domains on 20 different hosts, where they keep demo copies of the sites
then the client is offered to buy a domain and hosting through us...or he may buy it himself
its always the client's choice
most static sites are hosted on shared hosting owned by our company itself
:)

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Typically I tell them to go choose a hosting provider unless they want me to choose one for them. Typically they'll choose one that is good when it comes down to paid. If it's for free hosting, I'll point them to this site to consider it. I've found that if people don't have their own servers, they'll typically be put onto a server the website developer already has overloaded (trust me, I've seen this enough and quite frankly, those servers SUCK! Bandwidth issues and slow response times almost all the time when I come across one of these).

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I made an agreement with a local hosting company. They create separate hosting account for all my clients (that don't have their own hosting) so I don't have to worry about that.

Agreement brings benefits to both sides. I get a 10% discount and they get almost all my customers. I suggested the agreement and they accepted it with pleasure.

So if you have a good local hosting company I suggest you talk to them. I suggest a local company cos you'll know where to go when something goes wrong. You don't have to wait for your ticker or email to be answered. It's all about trust :)

Armacci Design

Reaction score
I often recommend a hosting provider that I use personally. During development, I host their sites in proof form on my own site, however.

It's actually a good idea to set up a referral deal with a quality host... thinking of doing that soon myself, in fact.