How do you retrieve files, documents from a laptop HD.

rolandr

Reaction score
I posted my rant about my laptop's crappy motherboard that went kaput.

Now how would I retrieve files from my laptop's HD? Is there a cable harness I could plug into my Desktop's PCI slot or something?

Yes, too lazy to Google. It just you members probably could post links faster than I could Google and sort out all these sites and links.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

There's some You Tube clips that uses some USB port adapter. What do you guys think of this method for those who retrieve files from a hard drive?

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
2.5" IDE/ATA drives use a different connector to regular 3.5" desktop PC IDE/ATA hard drives so sadly it's not a straight plugin job and an adaptor will be needed, or a friend with a similiar laptop unless it's SATA conection. Anyhow, HDD docks are pretty cheap you can find them for under £25 UK pounds and they require no technical skill or special software just plugin and read the files off that you want to keep.

henk506673

Reaction score
2.5" IDE/ATA drives use a different connector to regular 3.5" desktop PC IDE/ATA hard drives so sadly it's not a straight plugin job and an adaptor will be needed, or a friend with a similiar laptop unless it's SATA conection. Anyhow, HDD docks are pretty cheap you can find them for under £25 UK pounds and they require no technical skill or special software just plugin and read the files off that you want to keep.[/QUOTE
i would agree with the above comment, if it is sata i woudl use something like a blackx sata to usb drive module, you can find them at newegg

rolandr

Reaction score
So using this method (sata, USB drive module) I would have to set the hard drive's jumper as a secondary hard drive like having two hard drive on a computer[?]

I'll try to identify what type of hard drive etc ... thanks for getting me in the right direction. I think I could handle it.

henk506673

Reaction score
So using this method (sata, USB drive module) I would have to set the hard drive's jumper as a secondary hard drive like having two hard drive on a computer[?]

I'll try to identify what type of hard drive etc ... thanks for getting me in the right direction. I think I could handle it.
no it would not be a second hard drive, it would be basicly turned into an external hard drive, like a flash drive. you would not need to open your computer. just plug the bay into a power plug that is empty, plug the usb cable into the usb jack on the computer and then it will read your hard drive as a external hard drive. if it is ide/ata, post back and i will give you another method that is similar. by the way here is 1 simple device that takes care of 2.5 ide 3.5 ide and sata all in one
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ide+to+usb&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12441587628830419623&sa=X&ei=d_LTTeOpM4qSgQeBiuUu&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAA&biw=1000&bih=600#

Last edited:

rolandr

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Just a quick question, so this SATA/IDE-USB adapter powers the hard drive?

You know with desktop computers besides the ribbon cable you have to have plug in the power cable from the power supply but in this case the USB port via cable sends power to the hard drive[?].

I haven't got my laptop back nor checked out this SATA/IDE-USB adapter yet so pardon me if getting my laptop back and purchasing SATA/IDE-USB adapter with instruction is self explanatory. Just like to cover my bases before purchasing it.

henk506673

Reaction score
i am not sure with the product i recomended but i will check right no for you. but either way, there should be absolutely no reason what so ever to open the desktop.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

yep, both the options i suggested and the one that sternous suggested will work perfectly provided that your computer can handle usb 2.0

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Most of the USB drive enclosures (and that's the terminology you'd use to Google or purchase) get their power from the USB bus. Many, in fact, have two USB cables -- the data are only transferred on one of the cables, but the second is used to make sure that there is enough 5-volt current to spin the drive. You may find an enclosure that uses an external "wall wart" to supply power, but the ones I've seen thus equipped are the more expensive variety (usually for 3.5" drives, which also need 12-volt power). Make sure the two USB cables are hooked to different buses -- most desktops use a different bus channel (with separate power buses) for the front and rear USB connectors.

henk506673

Reaction score
Most of the USB drive enclosures (and that's the terminology you'd use to Google or purchase) get their power from the USB bus. Many, in fact, have two USB cables -- the data are only transferred on one of the cables, but the second is used to make sure that there is enough 5-volt current to spin the drive. You may find an enclosure that uses an external "wall wart" to supply power, but the ones I've seen thus equipped are the more expensive variety (usually for 3.5" drives, which also need 12-volt power). Make sure the two USB cables are hooked to different buses -- most desktops use a different bus channel (with separate power buses) for the front and rear USB connectors.

hate to tell you this, but what you just said is erelavent if the products recomended are bought. and as a mater of fact, the products recomnded both come with their own external power and methoids of getting it to the drives. so all you will realy need to do is plug the provided power supply into the end that connects to the hard drive ans well as the proper cable from the hard drive connector to the hard drive and plug the hard drive in to the device and the device into the computer then transfer the files.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Almost all of the USB hard drive enclosures on the mrket draw their power directly from the USB bus. Many of them (particularly at the low end of the price scale) use two USB connectors to get sufficient power -- if the model you buy has two USB connectors, then use both -- but plug one into the front and one into the back of your desktop, so you are using two different bus channels. The rest use a "wall wart" power suppy (and usually allow you to use either a 2.5" or 3.5" drive, and usually allows both SATA and EIDE connections). In either case, no, you won't need to open up the desktop case. And once you've copied your files across, you've also got an external USB drive in the bargain.

Whatever you do, though, get in the habit of backing up regularly to an external (or at least a separate physical internal) drive (preferably two different drives, used alternately, if that's financially possible). If you're a Windows user, I'd suggest Acronis TrueImage Home as a good backup program (it'll work for any OS since it acts as its own OS for manual backup and recovery, but it can be automated under Windows). Motherboards do fail (as you are now aware) but not nearly as often as drives do -- and I'll personally testify to the fact that starting all over again with no data is a much bigger hassle than simply replacing hardware.

henk506673

Reaction score
again why are you reitterating what you previeously said and i shot down for unessisarity, if you are going to keep posting things like that that are of no use to anyone than go and find another fourm like crossfire.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It was simply a matter of a very bad internet connection on the day in question -- it had appeared that the original posting was unsuccessful, and I had not seen any postings to that point that had addressed the OPs question concerning power supply and/or the need to install anything in the desktop box. There was no need to post anything with any emotional or confrontational content in reply to either posting -- this particular forum is intended to be essentially technical in nature. Now, if you have anything to say regarding the technical verity of what I posted...

apisds

Reaction score
If this is a SATA laptop harddisk, you can connect it directly to your desktop PC's SATA connector and copy files from there. If you are going to buy an external harddisk usb enclosure, make sure it is the correct type (SATA or IDE).

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If this is a SATA laptop harddisk, you can connect it directly to your desktop PC's SATA connector and copy files from there. If you are going to buy an external harddisk usb enclosure, make sure it is the correct type (SATA or IDE).

Yeah..this is the easiest way to take on..But there are super gadgets available which work exactly mentioned above but through a USB and external power connection.I will post a link in my next post.Currently searching as I missed it on my bookmarks.

smithee

Reaction score
I know it's already been mentioned, but the best option here would be to use a 2.5" data to USB connection. I've bought one to make an emergency back-up after having to send off my laptop for repairs. They work an absolute charm, and has only cost me a fiver from a local computer shop! :)

rolandr

Reaction score
Well I ended up getting a SATA 3.5 hardrive module in a trade in another bulliten board. Same hook up of my 2.5 laptop drive but seems like the housing' tab has to be modifiy to accomondate the smaller laptop hard drive.

Anyway, I may end up getting one of those SATA / IDE drive mentioned above to retrive documents on my older desktop hard drives.

remy87x18

Reaction score
I'm learning something new today. So let me get this straight, should something happen to my laptop all I have to do is removed my Sata HD. Then purchase a cable called "Vantec CB-ISATAU2 Storage controller- IDE / Serial ATA-150". Next, plug the USB head to the computer and the other head to my Sata HD. Result, I can retrieve my data back, is that right?

Darkmere

Reaction score
I posted my rant about my laptop's crappy motherboard that went kaput.

Now how would I retrieve files from my laptop's HD? Is there a cable harness I could plug into my Desktop's PCI slot or something?

Yes, too lazy to Google. It just you members probably could post links faster than I could Google and sort out all these sites and links.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

There's some You Tube clips that uses some USB port adapter. What do you guys think of this method for those who retrieve files from a hard drive?

You can bring the Hard drive to you local Sheriffs Department then to their Computer Crimes People they will usually not always but usually recover all the files for around 100$ to 250$ . I went to the Yellow pages and did a search for Hard Drive Recovery and just in my Area there was 28 companies that would be more than happy to do it.

rolandr

Reaction score
Yes, taking it from the member that asked that post this question in the first place.

If you are planning to use the laptop HD as an external hard drive, I would recommend those docking bays where the hard drive is in an enclosure with a fan.

EXAMPLE:
I ended up getting a Rosewill RX358 unit that was "only" for a 3.5 Sata drive. I notice pins configuration was same as my 2.5 Sata drive so I push the mounting tabs to accommodate my 2.5 laptop drive. I use Styrofoam material to hold the HD in place and making sure the fan is not obscure from cooling the hard drive. It works like a charm. I know use it as an external hard drive.

Gosh, I'm now considering getting those units that could accommodate older hard drives IDE type since I have many older desktop HD to retrieve files!