How fast is your Internet?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol! We get suspended and they have very comprehensive filters in place. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get a proxy server to load.

Although, I figured out, if you reboot the computer, enter safe mode, then you can login to the admin account, password free :).

csc2ya

Reaction score
558535704.png

My connection has major problems at the moment that my isp isn't willing to admit to being caused by them, despite me having ruled out anything at our end several times.

It's normally around 2MB download and half a meg upload.

azntechguy

Reaction score
In theory, I get 1MBps / 384 kbps with Verizon DSL. I'm lucky if I even get that though - the modem constantly syncs at a lower speed (I never had that problem when I first signed with Verizon 5 years ago - under the same wiring configuration as I do today)

NYC was the first market to be offered 3/768 - too bad my neighborhood was never eligible for that ("Wi-Fi mooching" within a 5 block radius confirms that. Nobody has a sync speed higher than 1.5/384 around here).

No FiOS either, even though Verizon keeps the FiOS cable, equipment and trucks in a storage building less than 10 blocks from my house.

When the contract expires, I'm switching to cable. Maybe Time Warner will do a better job.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
This is incredibly depressing. I'm sorry.

Where are you, by the way? And is this dial-up?

No that's DSL :biggrin:

558535704.png

My connection has major problems at the moment that my isp isn't willing to admit to being caused by them, despite me having ruled out anything at our end several times.

It's normally around 2MB download and half a meg upload.

Congestion issue or edge router failure I'm betting.

In theory, I get 1MBps / 384 kbps with Verizon DSL. I'm lucky if I even get that though - the modem constantly syncs at a lower speed (I never had that problem when I first signed with Verizon 5 years ago - under the same wiring configuration as I do today)

NYC was the first market to be offered 3/768 - too bad my neighborhood was never eligible for that ("Wi-Fi mooching" within a 5 block radius confirms that. Nobody has a sync speed higher than 1.5/384 around here).

No FiOS either, even though Verizon keeps the FiOS cable, equipment and trucks in a storage building less than 10 blocks from my house.

When the contract expires, I'm switching to cable. Maybe Time Warner will do a better job.

Give me a PM, I'll see if I can help you out with the line re-syncs. I have Verizon DSL at 7.1Mbps and it never resyncs unless I tell it to. Time Warner out in NYC has been known for slow speed issues, however they are in fact moving to DOCSIS 3.0 and adding more channels to the infrastructure so they might have fixed that up already.

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
At home my internet speed is 3 mbps/768kbps (Verizon DSL).

811559205.png

At school... is absolutely insane. :D I do all my downloading at school (there aren't really any restrictions). The network is shared by the entire high school so the individual speed of one computer is much lower though still decently fast.

736000503.png

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
My ISP just upgraded me to 56.6 K dial up account. :frown:
Too far from civilization I guess.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Getting around 6Mbs here.
At school... is absolutely insane. :D I do all my downloading at school (there aren't really any restrictions). The network is shared by the entire high school so the individual speed of one computer is much lower though still decently fast.
Just need to get that routed to your house now.
My internet speed is 1 bytes/sec.
That'd take about 10 days to load this page. Still, better than 1 bit/second.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
at class, where I am now:

Dunno what I'd get home though, but it might be a bit better down and a bit lower for the up part.

priyaa161

Reaction score
That'd take about 10 days to load this page. Still, better than 1 bit/second.

hmm, My ISP need to work more hard to get that speed.

Edit:

Can't get DSL or 3G service out where you are?

One Advertisement here which is related to your problem.

"Get Satellite broadband for Remote Areas".

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Can't get DSL or 3G service out where you are?
One Advertisement here which is related to your problem.

"Get Satellite broadband for Remote Areas".
Thanks for the suggestion, Priyaa. The only satellite service available to me is a company called Wild Blue. No others are willing to even consider installing at my location due to the fact that they have no installers anywhere near where I live. A couple of neighbors have the Wild Blue satellite service and have informed me that Wild Blue has very restrictive band width limitations that are easily exceeded. And if one does exceed the bandwidth limits, (as I very likely would on a regular basis), your service is suspended until you pay for another chunk of bandwidth. To make matters worse, the upload / download speeds are with this particular service are not noticeably faster than dial up. Nearest DSL is twenty miles away. I am able to get a good quality and reasonably fast mobile broadband connection by connecting cell phone to laptop with usb cable, but that is problematic when I need the phone for voice calls. This is simply something I deal with for the privilege of living out in the countryside away from "civilization". But I enjoy the peace, quite, and wildlife in my yard.:)

priyaa161

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Priyaa. The only satellite service available to me is a company called Wild Blue. No others are willing to even consider installing at my location due to the fact that they have no installers anywhere near where I live. A couple of neighbors have the Wild Blue satellite service and have informed me that Wild Blue has very restrictive band width limitations that are easily exceeded. And if one does exceed the bandwidth limits, (as I very likely would on a regular basis), your service is suspended until you pay for another chunk of bandwidth. To make matters worse, the upload / download speeds are with this particular service are not noticeably faster than dial up. Nearest DSL is twenty miles away. I am able to get a good quality and reasonably fast mobile broadband connection by connecting cell phone to laptop with usb cable, but that is problematic when I need the phone for voice calls. This is simply something I deal with for the privilege of living out in the countryside away from "civilization". But I enjoy the peace, quite, and wildlife in my yard.:)

I would also like to live in any peaceful and quite area but in this densely populated country I'll never get such environment.

Our Government has arranged broadband throughout the nation, even in very remote areas (First time did something good) and I'm surprised, how it is not there in USA. I think this business is totally under private sector there, I'm right??

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Our Government has arranged broadband throughout the nation, even in very remote areas (First time did something good) and I'm surprised, how it is not there in USA. I think this business is totally under private sector there, I'm right??
Yes, Internet service in USA is provided by various private sector businesses. And since private business owners are concerned about profits, products and services offered by private business owners are largely determined by demand for a particular product or service in a particular market area. Due to the remote and very sparsely populated location I have chosen to live in at this time, there is virtually no demand for high quality Internet, therefore it is not profitable for providers to offer the service.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe it is because it is relatively easy to justify paying for the new modern infrastructure when there is not much there before. People who don't have the internet are going to be a lot more vocal than those who just want faster internet.
However, in the US they already have existing systems, so justifying the expense of replacing it all is considerably harder. The work Google is doing to bring high speed internet to the masses is a good start, despite me not really trusting their motivation.

@Carl, I read somewhere about people digging and laying their own fibre-optic cable to their houses in return for the companies just plugging it in, probably a one off solution though. Probably also wasn't 20 miles either.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I read somewhere about people digging and laying their own fibre-optic cable to their houses in return for the companies just plugging it in, probably a one off solution though.
Well, when the house was built several years ago I had to pay the entire cost of extending power lines and telephone lines to the house due to the fact that I would be the only one benefiting from the new utility infrastructure. Therefore I suppose that paying for some type of high speed Internet cable would not be out of the question, though I imagine it would be extremely expensive to pay for approximately 20 miles of cable, which is what would be required. Thanks for the idea though.:smile:

priyaa161

Reaction score
Well, when the house was built several years ago I had to pay the entire cost of extending power lines and telephone lines to the house due to the fact that I would be the only one benefiting from the new utility infrastructure. Therefore I suppose that paying for some type of high speed Internet cable would not be out of the question, though I imagine it would be extremely expensive to pay for approximately 20 miles of cable, which is what would be required. Thanks for the idea though.:smile:

20 miles cable would be very expensive for any individual to handle. I've heard that some of the mobile phone network providers in our country are going to extend the limit of Wi-Fi connection and they call it WiMAX or something like that. In this they are going to first send signal from tower to tower and at the last they will give cable connection from the nearest tower to our home. Do you heard this technology??

I've missed somewhere because Wi-Fi is a very short range network connection and need some hot spot, so I don't know how they will amplify it.

Last edited: