How fast is your Internet?

hughr200534

Reaction score
I have fast internet at the moment because I'm behind a university firewall, but in my experience in Europe and the Middle East telcos sell people 3 - 12 meg internet, but I've never seen anything that actually goes faster then 1 meg. I'm using bytes, not bits here though.

fdmamo70

Reaction score
I live in Michigan (Detroit area).

My internet is Cable 56Mbs but it's painfully slow when I download anything beyond 20MBs in size with the microwave running (I'm a foodie).

It's very fast otherwise, but the speed depends on whether the download source server has as its boss, and idiot or a genius or someone whom knows what they are doing (the formet two result in slowness and the latter one results in 1Mib/s download speed...)

When I torrent stuff, my ISP (Comcast) routinely chokes or stops the stream, and it's generally NOT because I am using Transmission... it has to do with the fact that Adelphia/Comcast IT crewpeople tend to love to throttle all torrents on their wires, not just mine.

Also, every month, the first Wednesday, at 8:00 PM to the following day, at 10-11 AM, the internet is down for maintenance. Those are usually important internet times for my two small businesses. One of these days I will litigate Comcast ruthlessly for this utter tomfoolery (just joking... I don't have any good reasons to do so, and my case won't stand in court anyway...).

Other than that, Comcast / Adelphia is a good ISP and Cable bundler service company. The biggest beef I have with them now is this whole "bot alert" nonsense. The bots I need to function with a Fedora Linux box are routinely checked by their service too, and it ticks me off when they do that...

Have a nice day.

Sorry about the deteriorating English. My hands are getting colder, and I need to flick the thermostat in a little while...

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
My internet drops out sometimes at peak times, which can be annoying.
People on the IRC will already know... lol

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ya know, a terrestrial wireline Internet connection should not drop from starting a microwave or from peak usage. Peak usage can be the exception, IF and ONLY IF the usage is so extreme to where nothing can ever possibly work. Intermittent would sound like a signal issue to me at night.

str82u

Reaction score
In mid New Mexico we have the average package that includes 10 megabit service and after having the 16 megabit service at the same location (two different) I find the performance of ftp and mail apps are no different and browsing isn't any faster. We might have had more streaming power, but we've been known to run two streaming services and worked hard online at the same time with no noticable decrease in speed/performance between the two.

isp: verizon fios 20meg download and 5 meg upstream
552130357.png

for download speeds it usually depends on the connection to the server and how many people are also connected to it, I usually get 2.2mb/s max on good times.

Yes, that's really excessive. Do you ever get more than 2.2 for anything? You could definately stream on several televisions and still work online with all that; I'd invent stuff to do online with that.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
In mid New Mexico we have the average package that includes 10 megabit service and after having the 16 megabit service at the same location (two different) I find the performance of ftp and mail apps are no different and browsing isn't any faster. We might have had more streaming power, but we've been known to run two streaming services and worked hard online at the same time with no noticable decrease in speed/performance between the two.

Yes, that's really excessive. Do you ever get more than 2.2 for anything? You could definately stream on several televisions and still work online with all that; I'd invent stuff to do online with that.

His same connection could do this if he wishes to pay for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Yu2JsdPc8&hd=1

His Fiber connection that delivers what he currently has does also deliver TV service, but in another spectrum of light. Wish we could get that kind of bandwidth here, though. I've got many uses for it...

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
its amazing to think what you can do on a 10mb line these days!! but the only problem is, it would almost seem to be pointless to develop applications that would use mroe of your internet when most internet providers still empose hefty "fair useage policies" that mean you can only download a small amount of data each month.

plus, especially in the UK, there are many areas that are still on or under 2mb when the rest of the country is on an average of 10mb with some areas now having access to 50mb and even 100mb speeds.