How much Disk Space do you really need?

How Much Disk Space do you Really Need?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

critter74854

Reaction score
Hi All,

As of late we have seen Chopin Free Web server give the dreaded Disk Full error when we try to update our webpages.
A ticket was submitted and the support team responded very promptly (thanks)
They indicated some users misuse their allocated space by uploading prohibited material. (fk!ng wan%ers!)
It's these wan%ers that ruin it for the rest of us.

So answer the Poll and reply back...

Also how much Disk space are you currently using?
Looking forward to your replies and to visit your websites :)
mine at chookchook (Disk Space Usage 21.14 / 1024 MB)

Cheers'
:smile:

wodongax

Reaction score
Im only new here so I do not have a website.

I think 200-400 would be enough for me :tongue:

critter74854

Reaction score
I just did a clean out on File Manager and saved x10 hosting some space.. all 5Mb :p
Disk Space Usage 16.39 / 1024 MB

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi there,

In the event that one of x10Hosting's servers become full, we usually eliminate old suspended accounts in effort to free up some space. Most websites do not require any more than 500MB, because x10Hosting is a free web hosting company, not a place to host personal files and storage. Therefore, the Terms of Service places restrictions on the amount of photos and videos that can be placed, and we will suspend (and later terminate) accounts who are using x10Hosting for storing their personal files and backup files (in which are not in relation to their actual website).

For example, a simple phpBB forum only consumes about 13MB of space, which clearly shows that barely any space is required to host a brilliant working website.

This poll has interested me since a significant amount of people have said that they require nearly 1GB of space. I'm not sure that this is necessary to host a working website, as I stated above with the 13MB example.

Thanks

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My current account is hosting three wordpress installs, one of which is an art gallery that currently has about 10 works on it (I dont upload the fullsize images - I upload 600x600 thumbnails and use deviantart to host the full size pictures.). cPanel says I'm using 100mb of storage for that.

critter74854

Reaction score

Don't forget to post why you need the space you voted for.

And include your webpage.
So we can visit and see how good a site it is for the space you are using
:wink:

Not much credibility if people vote 1000Mb without explanation.

Cheers

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I am also finding this poll quite intriguing because I can see who voted for the 801-1000mb. I will not name names or post url's (Privacy Policy, you know), but I can say that if you total the disk usage on those accounts you do end up between 800 and 1000 mb, but individually most are under 50mb. Not drawing any conclusions here, but it's an interesting statistic nonetheless. It's possible these voters were planning on running Galleries at some point however (one of them already is) which would need the extra space, since it doesn't take many pictures to go past 100mb.

Honestly though, out of all the accounts I've actually reviewed that were over 1gb used (not just the voters here, but all of them), I can count two off the top of my head that actually needed more than 1000mb; the rest were in major violation of the terms. The overwhelming majority of ones I've reviewed were all much much closer to 100-150 at the top end, and more often less than 30mb (even a vBulletin install only runs about 30-40mb).

You just don't need that much space to run a site unless you're using a gallery, and even then 1gb would be the top due to the TOS cap on galleries.

Side note, my own personal account on x10premium's using 300mb cause I'm downloading a full backup from it (cpanel dumped it into my root so it doubled my disk), and my x10free account is using 340kb (there's pretty much nothing on it, but it's handy if I need to try and troubleshoot an x10free problem).

wodongax

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my new website up and running
The whole Disk Space Usage is 0.56 / 512 MB

Is that a x10 record for the smallest disk space for a usable website?

w00t

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The site I have up now really isn't worth looking at. It's just a bit of text and some small CSS graphics, and I suppose it was meant to go somewhere at one time -- mostly sharing code snippets, a couple of stories and essays, and a few little art pieces. For interest's sake, it's under 500 KB as-is, and I suppose that if it were fully fleshed-out with what I'd originally planned to put up, it might have grown to as much as five or six megabytes.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a commercial site for a professional photography venture. (It is so-o-o nice to have the full-time use of my hands and arms again.) Keep in mind that this is going to be a thoroughly-polished, graphics-heavy site that is intended to give potential customers a fairly complete idea of what I can do in all of the genres of photography in which I'd feel comfortable charging money. It's also going to feature several in-depth tutorials (giving away technical secrets doesn't hurt—I know a lot of "photographers" who have gear I only wish I could own and never make any technical mistakes, but whose pictures wouldn't draw a second glance from anybody).

Because it's a commercial site, I won't be hosting it on a Free Hosting plan—I need the uptime assurances that come with a SLA, and SSL might become necessary at some point, so it'll be on Premium—but I think it's worth bringing up on this thread in any case because that site, which, as I said, is going to have to sell my photography to the world (or at least to the Greater Toronto Area) is going to come in at well under 100MB including the client proofing and ordering area. It's under 20MB with just my sales and tutorial stuff.

The largest images on the site, the ones that are meant to knock socks off and send people scrambling for their credit cards to reserve a shoot, are all well under 150KB (the actual file size depending on the amount of detail in the picture), and that's at a high enough quality level that absolutely no compression artifacts are visible anywhere. Of course, there are only going to be a couple of hundred non-CSS/non-client images on the site (it's a set of portfolios, not a museum), but that's really taking up a lot of server space by my standards. And the client area will be time-bombed—it's not a museum either, and if I haven't got print orders in six months, I'm probably not going to get them. The photos will still be available locally, but there's no reason for them to stay on the site forever.

Really—unless you're building a site with a whole bunch of community input, like a forum, the idea that you need gigs of space is a silly conceit. Your graphics/photos don't have to be multi-megapixel in size for people to enjoy them. (Facebook is the single biggest photo-sharing site on the planet now, bigger than Flickr, and look at the "large" size they show you.) You don't need to put every picture you've ever taken or seen up on the web; try putting up only the good ones. You can make pages incredibly complex and rich without using huge monolithic graphic elements. You really don't need that much space if Free Hosting is even close to a good fit for what you're doing and you're doing it right.

jsmegabink97

Prime Account
Reaction score
500mb is more than enough but 1gb gives you more buffer,it's not that you need it but you don't have to be worried about running out off diskspace anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.