How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have?

• Total voters

walidno1

Reaction score
Desktop: 5 GB RAM. 1 GB PCI express.....windows 7 x64..... Laptop: 512 MB (192 MB AGP, no idea how :D)

phddat

Reaction score
1GB for my laptop and 512 for my PC.
Gonna upgrade them soon, may be upto 3GB.

newtown11

Reaction score
On my laptop (made in '06) it's a gig. On the iMac my parents use, it's 512mb. That thing was made in 2005 anyway, but running Safari (total RAM-eater!) is incredibly slow.

necteraaus

Reaction score
Well on my main machine (Sony Laptop) I have 2 gb of RAM, and that is usually ok, but I'm thinking more might help when I'm working with large images. Still, 2 gb and Windows 7 = a general charm :biggrin: Vista is slightly different...... lol

mattura

Reaction score
Has anyone considered installing an operating system in their RAM? I've done it with linux in the past, but these days with the 4-12GB RAM that lots of people have, you could put Windows on it and still have room to spare

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Has anyone considered installing an operating system in their RAM? I've done it with linux in the past, but these days with the 4-12GB RAM that lots of people have, you could put Windows on it and still have room to spare

I've been able to load my entire install of Windows Vista into my RAM before (8GB). Must I just say, thanks to the clock speed of my RAM and my other hardware Vista was literally on fire running from the RAM. Had to remove it from the RAM though since I needed the extra space for Folding@Home and all of the other apps I run.

Last edited:

mattura

Reaction score
I've been able to load my entire install of Windows Vista into my RAM before (8GB). Must I just say, thanks to the clock speed of my RAM and my other hardware Vista was literally on fire running from the RAM. Had to remove it from the RAM though since I needed the extra space for Folding@Home and all of the other apps I run.

awesome!

accdirec

Reaction score
8gig ddr3 in my HP Pavilion dv8 laptop.
8gig ddr2 in my Dell XPS Gen5 desktop.

Look at the the newest best HP desktop RAM options: 24GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]

What does a desktop need that for?:dunno:

To use Adobe Photoshop at its maximum performance they recommend 8gig ram.
Vista at its best needed 8gig ram - as per a microsoft tech.

Divinorum

Reaction score
On my laptop (made in '06) it's a gig. On the iMac my parents use, it's 512mb. That thing was made in 2005 anyway, but running Safari (total RAM-eater!) is incredibly slow.

Actually that's MAC's fault, because their computers blow.

lmfao, by 2005 I had a computer with 2 GB of RAM. DDR2 (fastest available.)

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Actually that's MAC's fault, because their computers blow.

lmfao, by 2005 I had a computer with 2 GB of RAM. DDR2 (fastest available.)

Actually during 2005 512MB of RAM was still considered "standard" 1GB and up came around 2006, and these days 4GB is a standard. For netbooks 1GB is standard.

But yes, Macs tend to be on the lower ends of hardware.

mac173

Reaction score
P4 with Win7 32 bit - 2gig (DDR)
Core 2 Duo Laptop with Win7 64 bit - 2 gig (DDR2)
Core 2 Duo Gaming Rig with Win7 64 bit - 4 gig (4x1gig DDR2)

The first upgrade for my gaming rig will be more and better ram.

wongers

Reaction score
im currently rocking 4GB altho limited to 3.25 due to 32bit windows XP.

getting new rig in march, going for 6GB minimum :) gonna be sweeeeeeeeet!!

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
im currently rocking 4GB altho limited to 3.25 due to 32bit windows XP.

getting new rig in march, going for 6GB minimum :) gonna be sweeeeeeeeet!!

You can try using Physical Address Extension on your Windows XP 32-bit box until you get upgraded to 64-bit :). Take note though that you need to edit the Boot settings under My Computer > Advanced Settings, so do so carefully! Also it may cause some driver issues.

wongers

Reaction score
for what its worth, i cant say that im reet bothered about an extra 700mb of RAM (give or take) as i usually have a gig free at any given time anyways (at least!)

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1866 :)

product_thumb.php