how often do you re-install windows?

deadimp

Reaction score
I used Windows XP for the past 4 or 5 years, with one new computer last year. Only had to reinstall once, and that was when my brother tried to install a video driver so he could connect two video output peripherals to the computer (watching stuff on our TV). However, I had all of my 'content', personal and school files and such, on a separate hard drive / partition, so the only thing I have to do is reinstall the few programs I used for programming. I try to maintain my computer with simple freeware / free software.
Now I use Ubuntu and I only had to reinstall once on my old computer because I tried to manually change my partition tables (after deleting the swap partition since I didn't know what it was at the time). Luckily, TestDisk saved my Windows partition, and I just installed Xubuntu to try a different flavor.

I might need to do a little housekeeping in Ubuntu, though. APT is almost too convenient :) - I'll need to remove the random packages I've installed, and hide some of the KDE stuff in GNOME's main menu.

waterfoul

Reaction score
NEVER!

I only use windows when i have to, otherwise I use Ubuntu x86 (I wanted the power)

People that don't use linux are :nuts:

madshell

Reaction score
I never reinstall per say. I always buy a new HDD instead and start the installation from that. In that way i can keep the HDD with my OS fit and in top shape. They are so cheap and taking them in and out of the case(holds 6 drives) is not much hassle.
The installation that im running now i've had for a little over a year, but it is beginning to show some deterioration, so i'm buying a new drive comes pay day :biggrin:

iholla

Reaction score
I never reinstall per say. I always buy a new HDD instead and start the installation from that. In that way i can keep the HDD with my OS fit and in top shape. They are so cheap and taking them in and out of the case(holds 6 drives) is not much hassle.
The installation that im running now i've had for a little over a year, but it is beginning to show some deterioration, so i'm buying a new drive comes pay day :biggrin:

Duuuude, I wish I had the means you have! So, I',m wondering, how many time have you got a new hdd with windows on it?

If that is in fact true, what do you do with the old hdd?

sunils

Reaction score
I would say when ever i like to do that. After 15 minutes i am going to do that. I cant tell you how much time i have done that.

iholla

Reaction score
I was forced to re-install windows las night...this is more coz of my laziness....

Scenario:
I installed Alcohol 120% on my Tecra to play NFS Pro Street(...mine was in .mdf images that needed to be mounted)

The game played perfectly. However, my laptop failed to come out of hibernation and on restart, Windows froze right after the boot screen shows.

Same scenarion when I tried to boot in all Safe modes.

It so happens, Alcohol 120% installs some drivers that confuse toshiba windows bus drives hence when it tries to load, it freezes coz it loads the wrong drivers.

This caused me to cut out a 5GB partition for a new installation then once in the fresh system, I deleted the Alcohol drivers and re-activated the old partition.

So now, I'm back using my original installation but this counts as a forced re-install!@@##$%%^^&

oi2008

Reaction score
I almost never reinstall Windows. On my first computer, Windows XP is installed since 2003 and has never been reinstalled since. It still works perfectly. On my second computer, I have Windows Vista (pre installed by the manufacturer) and I have never formatted or reinstalled anything.

The performance of Windows in the NT family does not seem to diminish over time as it was the case with the 9x family, so Windows does never need to be reinstalled, except if particular problems arise (viruses, damaged files for some reason...).

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Woah,

This thread's getting pretty darn popular =]

When I used Windows (GNU / Linux user currently) I had to re-install every 6 months or so, or my PC would just come to a complete standstill there'd be that much lag while Windows got its act together and booted up and logged me in.

Although I don't do it for myself and more, I still have to perform a fair few Windows re-installs for others.

-Luke.

kyledude92107

Reaction score
Never.

The only time I have is when I used it to get rid of Vista, and when the OS ****ed up.

VPmase

Reaction score
I reformat my PC around every 6 months - 1 year. Depends on how much stuff has been added that I don't want.

Last edited:

mcklovin

Reaction score
I try to reinstall every 3-4 months, I just slipstream the latest service pack into my installation disc. Thanks god for external hard drives. :)

kkenny

Reaction score
On my windows computer I did it every 6 months or more, because I cuoldn't stand the slow internet speeds.

Linux, me... I use LiveCDs and their not that bad, I've had the OS I am currently using for 2 months now and I'm not planning to reinstall anytime soon.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hell again =],
Never.

The only time I have is when I used it to get rid of Vista, and when the OS ****ed up.
Will you mind your language please? This forum should be suitable for minors, and I don't think anyone wants to hear your profanity. Curb the language on the x10Hosting forums please.

-Luke.