How to actually get the site up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Your username is mslx10m2, not your email address. ;)

mslx10m2

Reaction score
:banghead: Ah Dead-i. I could kiss you. xxooooo My connectivy test has passed!! I published with changes, and that passed too! Alas, when i go to the url, i see absolutely nothing. <sigh> No. Now i just see this.

404 Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!Powered ByLiteSpeed Web ServerLiteSpeed Technologies is not responsible for administration and contents of this web site!

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Couple things:

1. A lot of your files are size 0, which means they have nothing in them.
2. A .zip is a compressed archive of a bunch of files, unless you unzip it you will not be able to do anything with it.

If your .zip contains the entire website, I recommend deleting everything in public_html (just to make sure uploading your site won't put you over quota again), unzipping your .zip file, and then uploading the contents of that.

Also, do you mind telling us a brief overview of what your site's purpose is? I'm seeing a lot of random stuff on there and I can't quite piece together whether or not your site would actually be allowed here should you finish it. For reference, a list of what we do/do not allow is at http://x10hosting.com/terms and http://x10hosting.com/aup

mslx10m2

Reaction score
Couple things:

1. A lot of your files are size 0, which means they have nothing in them.
2. A .zip is a compressed archive of a bunch of files, unless you unzip it you will not be able to do anything with it.

If your .zip contains the entire website, I recommend deleting everything in public_html (just to make sure uploading your site won't put you over quota again), unzipping your .zip file, and then uploading the contents of that.

Also, do you mind telling us a brief overview of what your site's purpose is? I'm seeing a lot of random stuff on there and I can't quite piece together whether or not your site would actually be allowed here should you finish it. For reference, a list of what we do/do not allow is at http://x10hosting.com/terms and http://x10hosting.com/aup

Hiya Skizzerz.
This is not actually a website per se yet. It is just a proposal of some ideas ... to be completed later. I am just trying to show a client some ideas for a website that he's interested in. So. I just used a trial version of Sandvox, which will only publish the first five pages unfortunately; later this afternoon, i will need to combine the pages to show the ideas on the pages that will not publish the first time.
I am not quite sure about the .zip file. The document created with Sandvox is the file on my comp called DM1.sandvox. I am unable to change that name using the Sandvox software. So when I uploaded it to your server, i changed the name to index.html. When i upload the file to your server, it somehow becomes a zipped file. I am unsure why. I am not an experienced web designer by any means. I learned a little html years back and this is the first time i've dealt with it since then. I apologize for any wrongdoing, seriously. I just want the client to be able to see a work in progress. When the job is approved, I will create a proper site ... i hope. But unless he's able to see SOMETHING, i stand to lose out on the contract.
Perhaps the fault lies in the sequence that i uploaded. I just automatically did it before testing connectivity etc ... and prolly shouldn't have.
Now the I have the correct settings for Sandvox to publish, perhaps the best way to go about this would be to delete everything from your server, and just let Sandvox do the job ... since the settings are correct now.
I would like to continue using this server, now that i have gotten a feel for getting around in here ... once the proposal is approved, it will become a proper website, i promise.

mslx10m2

Reaction score
At such time as i create another file, i will face the task of being able to upload a second time ... i don't even have a clue how i'm going to go about that one, but today is my deadline, and right now? My dog is BEGGING me to take him outside. Like, i have all the time in the world or something. lol But. Doggies first. :D
Afternote: I SERIOUSLY appreciate all the help i've been getting here as well. The replies are pretty prompt, and have helped me each and every time. It's just that my brain is on super overload, and yeah, i'm getting tired of trying to figure it all out alone. Really appreciate everything.

mslx10m2

Reaction score
So. I will delete everything i suppose. I really hope that's the correct way to go about this problem. This way, all the unnecessary files will disappear, and everything that's needed will actually be in place. I hope it's the right way to go. Because at home on my desktop comp, where I've been having internet problems with Rogers here in Toronto, I had to move to a laptop on Bell service to continue working. And at home, it took FOREVER to upload anything. I really hope i don't need to go through all that today. I'm all outta time pretty much. And i'm sorry for the novel. I realize i'm prolly babbling.

mslx10m2

Reaction score
And the reason the file is so large, is because there is a lot of video and graphic content. Well, not nothing is working at all. I can't even get the connectivity to work. Have you cut me off already?

mslx10m2

Reaction score
Well, here's where i'm at now. Connectivity worked altogether, maybe twice today ... i'm currently trying to upload the files directly from Sandvox, but now i just get a timed-out error ... i can't win.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-10-12 at 2.29.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-10-12 at 2.29.43 PM.png
    421.1 KB · Views: 2

mslx10m2

Reaction score
I knonw the files are large, but what else can I do. Otherwise, the page won't look the way i need it to. What other options do i have for uploading the files? Maybe I should use one of the Uploading pieces of software from Softaculous? I'm sooo totally not familiar with any of this. FTP client .. for mac ... that will work here ... I just dunno.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-10-12 at 4.13.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-10-12 at 4.13.04 PM.png
    538 KB · Views: 3

mslx10m2

Reaction score
Yes, i have come to the conclusion that i prolly cannot have a file this large. Even tho my videos were compressed to mp4, i suppose that's not small enuf. I will try flash ... but. I realize that if not being the least of my problems with this particular page, then it is the most major. Because I have a lot of video and graphics and images ... so I suppose i'll have to do workarounds on everything. Thanks for your time and your patience .. .. I'm really glad we had this executive meeting. :cry: You guys have been really supportive.

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
Nope. Still can't get anything working. Have redone the page without all video, podcast content. Can't get Sandvox to upload, can't test connectivity, and have not yet tried uploading manually, but i suppose that prolly won't work either, because i can only publish the first five pages. Unless i make a file of thos five pages ... and try. <sigh> Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thinking it's a Sandvox problem ...

Last edited:

bluejeanbaby2002

Reaction score
I have created a much smaller file. I was wondering if i should try Cyberduck to upload. It seems to be supported by Sandvox ... Do i need a special FTP account for this process? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.