How to create a chat system in my x10hosting website?

divinemamgai70

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas about how to create a chat system that can handle almost 1000 users at once and it should not be powered by simple Ajax because it takes user's bandwidth which I don't want to. So is there a way to use ajax push in my free x10hosting account?

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Using ajax push is never going to reduce a users incoming bandwidth because all the messages have to be delivered and of course the server has to send them. This outgoing bandwidth consumption by the server being the true problem of running a busy chatroom.

Implenting 'push' at the users browser would help prevent the chat server being flooded with polling requests for the common data source and that should help scalability to some extent but it is not really a solution.

I do have a couple of ideas that may allow a super massive chatroom to exist inside a free account but will need a few days to bash some code and see wether an existing chatroom could be modified or it needs to built completely from scratch.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you likely will not be able to support a 1000 user chat on your free hosting account due to our limitations on CPU usage, you'd likely find your site taken offline temporarily for hitting the resource usage limit.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hi divinemamgai70,

I am also from India. I also have a chat site. I have researched a lot on chat scripts and found that script built in php aren't able to handle high loads, at least they are not able to handle your 1000 connections load.

You have to use scripts hosted on others server. There are some scripts available for free like parachat, nestchat, yeechat etc etc.

alternatively you can use my script on your website. If you use my script you won't have to start with 0 users. We have users from India and China. Our Chinese users are very decent and would be beneficial for your website.

Code:
http://chatindia.co.in:35555/123flashchat.swf?init_room=&init_listroom=&init_skin=blue

Try the above code. If you like then you can use it. If you don't like then try the links below to check other services

Yeechat --- www.yeechat.com

Parachat --- www.parachat.com

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just in case it occurs to anybody to try this here:

Server push means a continuous socket connection. That means that the browser needs to support WebSockets, and that the server needs a WebSocket server (a daemon, which can be a continuously-running PHP script).

The requirement for WebSockets pretty much brings the browser choices down to current versions of Firefox and Chrome. (Opera and Safari support an older, insecure version of the protocol; IE doesn't support WebSockets to date.) The requirement to run a daemon -- a script that runs continuously -- means that you won't be able to run the server side of the socket on either a Free Hosting account or a Premium account (although you should be good to go on a VPS if you don't mind burning your fair share cycles to run the daemon). There's no way to do push without a daemon -- the server needs to monitor the chat data, and it needs an open connection to the browser to send the data. Each browser that's using chat needs its own socket, and that means clock cycles, memory and connection-maintaining chatter over the TCP connection. It is far more intensive to implement than client-pull. (And that's why Skype is partially peer-to-peer routing -- it takes a lot of load off of the server.)