How To Create A MySQL Database In cPanel X

tanwirec

Reaction score
Here's a step-by-step tutorial.

1. Log into cPanel
2. Scroll down until you see MySQL Database Wizard
3. Give the database a name and press "next step"
4. Type in a MySQL username (can be anything, I recommend give it the same name as the database)
5. Type in a password and press "next step"
6. You will be brought to a permissions page. Check all the boxes.
7. Press "Create"
8. Enjoy your new MySQL database!

If you need any help, PM me or simply reply to this thread :)

Mods should probably sticky this o_o

salux10m

Reaction score
Ok, I've set up a database, but I'd like to be able to access it via my ftp client and for that I need to know the phpMyAdmin address. Where can I find out what that is? I tried copying the address from the url when signed on to phpMyAdmin, but that didn't work because it had the session number stored in the url.

Thanks for any help with this!

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Why do you want to access it via FTP?

salux10m

Reaction score
I am working with two other students to build the site as part of a group project for our Mobile Applications class. I have never used mySQL or PHP before, so they are going to help me out with learning how to create a database. I've paid for an account with ShiftEdit so that the three of us can collaborate on the site in realtime just like a GoogleDoc, follow each others' cursors, and chat while we work. It's absolutely wonderful for learning how to do this!

Obviously, I don't expect to be able to do exactly the same thing in phpMyAdmin, but there is a place in ShiftEdit to link to a phpMyAdmin address so that others could follow the link and type in their credentials to work with the database. In x10Hosting under mySQL Databases I've added each of them as a mySQL user for the database and given each a password, but I'm not sure how they can get to the phpMyAdmin screen to log in with that information. Am I doing something wrong? I assumed that's what setting up the users and passwords was for.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
To log into phpMyAdmin, you have to give them your cPanel username/password, effectively giving them access to the entire account.

salux10m

Reaction score
Hm. Thanks so much for your help! I didn't want to share my login information in case that violated any agreement with the site. But what you said works--I was able to copy the link address from the button for launching phpMyAdmin and then enter salux10m and my password into the cPanel login that appears. What does adding mySQL users and passwords do if it doesn't allow additional users access?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
MySQL usernames and passwords aren't to login to PHPMyAdmin.. that's an entirely different configuration. The usernames are used to grant access to a user on a database so they can perform functions (such as inserting, deleting, updating, etc)

salux10m

Reaction score
Ok--hopefully this will all make more sense as I learn to use it. Thanks a lot!

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again, but how do I find my MySQL Server?

From a PHP script in your account, it is "localhost"

If you are trying to connect to the MySQL server from outside of your free x10 account, you cannot. Access is blocked. No exceptions.

Bobo

Reaction score
I really do not knwo how to do php coding. Or run Mysql or Php Myadmin. So i really do not know hwo to do. I also want to creat an xmpp website. If anyone can help me connecting my php my admin account to the softalicous profiles/Apps liek Dolphin and Oxwall