How to FTP after domain switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerotic

Reaction score
Hello, This morning I switched name servers for one of my domains over to x10 and now I can't access FTP with my normal credentials.

I've been searching for where this might have been discussed but I haven't found anything hence the post. I understand that it will take a day or two before my domain switches over so the site being down doesn't bother me since that was expected. However I can't log in via FTP which has caught me off guard since I wanted to continue uploading content in the meanwhile.

So the question is, once the domain switches over do my ftp login details change? Perhaps just the server?

p.s. Posting a message in Firefox 4 is problematic, can't switch to advanced mode, all text shows up as a block needing HTML tags and none of the WYSIWYG features work vía the interface. Also, I would have tested this on my own since there seems to be conflicting information on the boards, albeit some of it in older posts. Is sFTP enabled for free accounts? Thanks for the help and for this wonderful free service! :)

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
if you are currently using the domain that you switched dns for as host in your ftp client, that would likely be why it fails, that is affected by the dns change as well. You should be able to access ftp using chopin.x10hosting.com as host (the server address) while waiting for DNS propagation.

sFTP would likely fail on a free account since we do not allow users to have SSH access on free accounts.

nerotic

Reaction score
if you are currently using the domain that you switched dns for as host in your ftp client, that would likely be why it fails, that is affected by the dns change as well. You should be able to access ftp using chopin.x10hosting.com as host (the server address) while waiting for DNS propagation.

sFTP would likely fail on a free account since we do not allow users to have SSH access on free accounts.

Thanks for the tip Anna...worked like a charm :) Is there a trick that would also let me view my site (e.g. https://chopin.x10hosting.com/nerotic/) ?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's no trick for that on free hosting due to the setup we currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.