How to log into restored Wordpress site

salesforceyoga

Reaction score
I exported a backup of my Wordpress site from my old host (to a localhost.sql file) and was able to successfully import it into a new x10hosting database using phpMyAdmin.

I now want to log into my Wordpress site's dashboard. How do I do that?

(I'm very bad at this stuff, so apologies in advance for anything dumb I'm doing or not doing!)

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
x10 does not provide support for scripts. this includes wordpress.
with that said, forum users might be able to help if they encountered same issue.
personally i dont use wordpress myself but there might be others who do..

salesforceyoga

Reaction score
I don't super understand, so let me attempt to repeat this back (with more context) to make sure we're on the same page...

I used to have a Wordpress site hosted by a different hosting provider. When I was paying that hosting provider, I logged into my Wordpress site's dashboard by going to <myolddomain>.com/wp-admin -- that's where I would add new content.

I recently decided to move my Wordpress site to x10hosting. I found a tutorial that told me to export my database to a localhost.sql file, and import that file to a new database that I created in my new x10hosting account. In theory, as I understand it, that moved a copy of my Wordpress site over to x10hosting.

Now, I need to be able to log into that new copy of my Wordpress site. I tried going to <mynewdomain>.com/wp-admin, but that link didn't work.

I believe you're saying I need a script to generate that dashboard link -- is that correct? If that's the case -- and since I guess x10hosting doesn't help with those scripts -- is it fair to say that the only people who are able to move their existing Wordpress sites from another hosting provider over to x10hosting are web experts who know how to write their own scripts?

Just trying to understand -- if that's the case, that's disappointing (since I'm definitely not a web expert and therefore can't use x10hosting, I guess) but good to know.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
x10 hosting does NOT provide support for wordpress. (or any other scripts)
you need to ask for help with that on the wordpress support website.
or wait and see if other forum users might have had the same issue

ctyrd

Reaction score
Name servers for "salesforceyoga.com" have to be configured to use the x10 free hosting account.

salesforceyoga

Reaction score
@ctyrd Thank you very much! You were right; I think I was able to do that just now.

Definitely looks like that was a necessary step regardless, but typing in salesforceyoga.com/wp-admin stil gives me a 404, so I'm still not able to get into my Wordpress site, if anyone has any ideas there. Thanks in advance.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Not being able to login, as your initial post claimed, is very much a different problem then not being able to access the login page, as later posts seem to indicate.

I don't know where you uploaded your wordpress files, but you did most definitely not put them in /domains/DOMAINNAME/public_html as in that folder I can only see the default files that was created with the domain. In fact, it would appear you never did upload the files onto x10hosting, I don't see them anywhere in your account.

The database is only one part of what makes up your WordPress install, there's a lot of files/folder (including all images and other media you put up in your blog articles) as well that you need to backup at the old host (download as compressed file) and then restore in the above mentioned file path. Without the files nothing will work.

This is likely going to be a larger file, especially if you have many images, so uploading by FTP may be your best bet. You can afterwards use the file manager to extract the files from the archive. Make sure that the files are extracted to the root of the above mentioned file path "/domains/DOMAINNAME/public_html" (if they end up in "/domains/DOMAINNAME/public_html/backup" where "backup" would represent the name of the archive in most cases, you would need to move them into the proper place

You will also need to edit the file called wp_config.php to reflect the new database name and the database user and pass you set up here on x10 hosting. This file should be in the /domains/DOMAINNAME/public_html folder if you correctly restored the files from your old host.

salesforceyoga

Reaction score
@ctyrd Just wanted to say thank you! Your posts have been really helpful and non-judgmental, which seems to be a rarity on forums like this. I appreciate it!

Rimsha

Reaction score
  1. Upload your WordPress files to the appropriate location on x10hosting.
  2. Visit your website's URL in a web browser.
  3. Enter the URL followed by "/wp-login.php" to access the login page.
  4. Enter your username and password to log in.
  5. If you forgot your password, use the "Lost your password?" link to reset it.
Once logged in, you can manage your WordPress site through the dashboard.