How to replace x10.mx with my domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethibel

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never transferred a domain before (Always had hosting and domain combined). I bought 2 domains from namecheap, 1 is a co.uk which I would like to be the primary domain name and 1 is a .com which I would like to be used in a way that if someone types .com in the address bar accidentally, it will redirect to the .co.uk domain.

I've read this help article: http://x10hosting.com/wiki/Domain

Right now on namecheap the nameservers of both domains are directing to x10's nameservers. That's about as far as I've got, I don't know if it's correct, and the rest is confusing me.

I think I understand how to make the .com redirect on the x10 cpanel, (Add as a parked domain and redirect to the .co.uk I am guessing?) but I don't know how to make the .co.uk domain my MAIN domain. Is it parked or addon, or something else? will it completely replace the x10.mx?

Also, I would like the email account to end in my .co.uk domain name. How do I do this?

I hope this makes sense... Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You can not set your own domain as main domain on free hosting, we disallow this for a couple reasons, one being to prevent the account to stand without a working domain in case of domain expiration, or as in a recent event where all co.cc domains stopped working because the co.cc service disappeared.

What you can do is set the .co.uk domain as a parked domain, and the .com domain as an addon domain, in cPanel you can make it so the .com domain redirects to the parked .co.uk domain.

The current main domain would also work for accessing your site and you should also be able to put a redirect from that to the .co.uk domain if I'm not mistaken. Though, if you don't tell anyone about that domain, there's probably not going to be much traffic on it as only staff here would be able to see that domain.

This wiki article tells a bit more on how to add the domains to your cPanel: http://x10hosting.com/wiki/How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain

Last edited:

bethibel

Reaction score
Hi Anna, thanks for the reply. So by using the method above, would my domain and all subpages look like domain.co.uk/page instead of going back to .x10.mx when you access a subpage (like domain.x10.mx/page)? Because I don't want the .x10.mx to appear.

I was thinking of having the .co.uk as an addon domain in a subdomain folder and adding the .com as a parked and redirect it to the .co.uk (not sure if that would work) but what I was thinking seems the opposite of what you suggested..

Also how would I get the e-mail account to end in .co.uk and not .x10.mx?

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
which domain that shows up in browser depends a bit on settings in any application you might use as well (if you for instance install wordpress using the x10.mx domain for instance that would by default show unless you change the configuration).

So if you have any installed scripts just make sure they are configured to use the .co.uk domain as their main domain, otherwise the domain shown would normally be the one entered in browser if no redirects are set.

I suggested the .co.uk as parked since that was the domain you wanted to use as "main" domain for site, but doing it the other way around works just as well, how the domain is added to cPanel doesn't matter, it is how you configure them to work together.

Once you added the .co.uk domain you should be able to create email accounts under that domain, any existing email addresses will not automatically change into that domain, so you might need to delete any existing and re-create under the new domain.

bethibel

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I added the parked and addon domains in the way that you said, redirected the .com, and also added an email address under the .co.uk. I removed the current WP installation and reinstalled under the new domain name and everything is working great. I appreciate you mentioning the script installation because if you hadn't of done I'd no doubt be moaning on here about how I still can't get it to work LOL. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.