HRU Suspensions

upendran

Reaction score
After going through the support forums (and user reviews all over Internet) it appears that High Resource Usage suspensions are the order of the day. I noticed that taking a backup of a decent sized wordpress blog is impossible without getting suspended.

I wonder what is the use of unmetered disk space and bandwidth if even taking a site backup is not going to be easy.

This is my immediate impression about the service.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Wordpress is notorious for high resource usage... this is not our fault. There is no reason loading a wordpress page should use a full core of a processor. With that said we have thousands of people who have properly tuned blogs and never get suspended for high resource usage. We have to fairly split resources between thousands upon thousands of users, wordpress when not properly tuned goes over its fair share.

upendran

Reaction score
How about drupal? Does it use abnormally high resources? I have seen some hosts ban joomla for HRU. Which CMS/blog in your opinion is least harmful, yet serves the purpose? Blogger is one, but it does not require the services of any free host, yet custom domain name can be used.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
I have been successfully been able to setup a WordPress blog; I'm just lucky I guess.

Here is a way to compare services; it might not be exact though. In your cPanel, click Softaculous and choose the software you wish to compare on the left (eg. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal). In the details section, look at the Space Required. This can be a useful hint to see which is lightweight against others. For example, Drupal appears to be lighter than Joomla (10MB vs 15MB), but WordPress appears to be much heavier (35MB).

upendran

Reaction score
Install size does not in anyway represent resource usage (Other than storage). A tiny 1kb script can be capable of hogging CPU. Have you heard the term 'deadly embrace'? Can you think of the havoc jump to itself instruction can create?

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Drupal is another one that uses a lot of resources. However we do have users using it successfully once it was tuned and the bloat stripped away.

A lot of free hosting companies ban Joomla, Drupal, etc all together. If people keep blaming us for their high resource usage maybe we'll have to consider it. At this time we allow users to install whatever they want, it is their responsibility to tune it and get it inline with normal resource usage.

upendran

Reaction score
So.. the safest bet is to use static plain HTML pages built manually...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the safest bet is to not install plugins that cause issues. The scripts make it so easy to install plugins that users just go through the list installing each and every plugin, most which are poorly coded. This is not an issue with our hosting service, it's an end user issue.

The resource limits are set specifically to allow all popular scripts to run without problems out of the box. What users do with their install after is not our problem.

Also, I do not appreciate your sarcasm... if you do not have constructive feedback to post I suggest you leave it at that.

upendran

Reaction score
Also, I do not appreciate your sarcasm... if you do not have constructive feedback to post I suggest you leave it at that.
Sorry to know that you do not like sarcasm. I regret that I ever knew your existence and I regret wasting your time and my time communicating with you.

Sorry once again and good bye.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to know that you do not like sarcasm. I regret that I ever knew your existence and I regret wasting your time and my time communicating with you.

Sorry once again and good bye.

Good bye.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Install size does not in anyway represent resource usage (Other than storage). A tiny 1kb script can be capable of hogging CPU.
Very true. However, once I installed MediaWiki on my free hosting: big mistake. The storage required was higher than 50 MB, leading me to believe my statement.