htaccess error when adding redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

grgarside

Reaction score
Since today, when I try to add a redirect between two parts of my website using the redirects panel in cPanel, I get this error:

Code:
Unable to write to .htaccess: /home/ggarside/public_html/.htaccess

I have created many redirects before and they all work perfectly. Please could someone tell me what the problem is and how I can fix it. Thanks.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the permissions on the file. Make sure that "system" can read/write the file.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
In cPanel, FileManager, select .htaccess and then click on "Change Permissions" (key icon top middle of page)
They should be 0644

grgarside

Reaction score
(BUMP) Please can someone help! I've been waiting ages and literally no-one else has posted anything like this (that I could find). I really need my .htaccess working!

By the way, I can't change the file manually from cPanel file manager or by FTP. I'm completely locked out of the file.

grgarside

Reaction score
Can't edit, can't change permissions, can't delete and reupload, can't rename.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Repaired, somehow root took over the .htaccess; my guess is it was from the high system resource from earlier and a glitch during unsuspension - it looks like the file itself was right, but it glitched and didn't give you permissions over it again.

grgarside

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I can't thank you enough. Now going to press that reputation button...

(PS: I've only just has the over-resource warning - this thread was started in November. How can the two be related?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.