HTML basics : getting started coding

LostHorizon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Personally, I would prefer writing my codes in HTML 5 over HTML 4.01 on any given day at any given time to keep up with the latest technology (as I often do), but KEEP IN MIND that HTML 5 is just a PROPOSAL now even though there has been quite a talk of it over the past 2 years (and especially, even though most browser vendors nowaday went ahead and incorporated its support into their latest browser versions), until it becomes the official recommendation by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), HTML 4.01 is STILL the OFFICIAL HTML version nowaday (that's why in my previous post, I only mentioned HTML 4.01 - not my choice though).

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Tag names should be lowercase :p

I would never recommend the use of HTML4. I personally use HTML5, but if you don't want to use that, XHTML.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
	<meta charset="utf-8">
	<title>Hello World!</title>
</head>
<body>
	<p>Hello world!</p>
	<p>This is my first webpage.</p>
</body>
</html>

If you do use the break element, it should be closed: <br />. However, as explained by Misson earlier in the thread, the break element should not be used in this context. Use two paragraph elements, and if required, reduce the margin.

~Callum

Only XHTML needs closed tags (such as <br />), and only XHTML needs lowercase tags. HTML4.01 doesn't require it to be lowercase.

If that was XHTML, wrong doctype. If it was HTML5, wrong doctype. xD (Unless xHTML has a short doctype I didn't know about).

Other than that: yes.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
It was HTML5. That's the HTML5 doctype :p

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en" id="facebook" class="no_js">

Last edited: