Hybrid SSD (New type of affordable hard disk)

GBH187

Reaction score
A hybrid ssd drive is just a normal hard drive with some flash added,

Vista is required to take advantage of it because the flash is used by readyboost

you can achieve the same performance gain by purchasing a 2gb or 4gb usb memory stick and using it with vistas ready boost system.

Its not a new type of affordable hard disk, its a fail technology that is already dead

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I belive SSD was made for laptops because it uses less power and it's silent and doesen't get very hot.

*moved to computers and technology*

Nathan H

Reaction score
SSD or solid state drives are most certainly NOT dead. they are jsut not used for home use because they are not cheap at all. SSD are used in new ultra-high end servers that expect stupidly high levels of traffic because of 2 inherent advantages with SSD over disk drives. SSD runs without a moter, this means its lifespan is extremely long compared to HDDs, and theres less sound/noise from them. They also have a massive transfer rate if setup correctly, able to read/write to any sector without having to seek.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
actually if you think of it SSD`s are not that expensive at all just take a usb drive like the corsair survivor its big enough to run windows xp on and a few programs,

Nathan H

Reaction score
there again, a usb flash drive is terribly slow compared to a full fledged SSD drive, though you would get the advantage of the low heat/no noise

sunils

Reaction score
This is going to be cool for vista users. If it was a pen drive, the access time to the usb port itself would be long and would not be advantageous for vista to use it as ready boast. But its integrated into the harddrive, it could be more advantageous as you all disscussed.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Vista will boot in under 10 seconds on a new install, but after you've installed Office and CS3, things start to get a biiiiiiiittttttt sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Solid state drives will be amazing when they reach the desktop, well worth the cash.

-Luke.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
yeah cuz we are not going to pay 2K for a 128 GB SSD man for that kind of money you can make a decent gaming pc

vol7ron

Reaction score
SSD or solid state drives are most certainly NOT dead.
I think you misunderstood the post. Hybrid drives are pretty much dead. There is no need to get a hybrid when you can get a fully-fledge SSD.

they are jsut not used for home use because they are not cheap at all.
wrong again. they are available for home use. I would not advise buying one, though unless it's an intel. they're not seen commonly in home computers because the random-write speed was 1/10 the speed of common hd's today - this is changing with Intel's multithread algorithm.

SSD runs without a moter, this means its lifespan is extremely long compared to HDDs
actually, depending on how much writing is being performed, it could be less. this is because of the oxification process used to store the electrons. the problem is nand flash degrades over time with each erase (again Intel has found a way to extend the life of their ssd drive)

yeah cuz we are not going to pay 2K for a 128 GB SSD man for that kind of money you can make a decent gaming pc
SSDs no longer cost 2K, you can easily find a 64GB one for ~$200

-----------------------------------------------

To follow up with more information. Hybrid SSDs take's a regular disk and adds some flash memory to it for cache and fast reads, thereby minimizing the mechanical reads necessary on the disk (extremely good for commonly accessed system files).

SSDs removes the hard disks (as mentioned before). There are two types SLC and MLC, which stands for single level and multilevel cell, respectively. you want to hold off buying them until the random-write problem is fixed. all companies are using "sequenced" reads/writes to market their products, however you hardly ever do a sequenced write, which to-date is ghastly slow. whenever you write to your hard drive it's basically a random write. in most MLC SSDs today, sequenced writes may be 100MB/sec, but random writes are like 10MB/sec whereas a regular hard disk has something like 60-70 MB/sec for random writes. this MLC problem has produced hangs every 3 seconds.

SLCs generally don't have the random-write problem, but are more expensive and seen in servers, whereas MLCs are less expensive and can be found in desktops/laptops today.

Intel has developed a MLC that produces a random write of about 70MB/s. though, right now it's hover $500USD; however with a right speed equal to average hard drive today and read speeds that are like lightning, this makes them the SSD to get. just hold off for a bit and within the next 4 months prices should start falling. when intel's drops to $250, i'm getting 2 and setting up in Raid 0.

if you have any more questions just ask.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

Reaction score
SSDs no longer cost 2K, you can easily find a 64GB one for ~$200

most people wouldnt find 64GB of storage enough i know i wont, and i said 128GB not 64 and if you dont believe me heres some proof

Memoright SSD GT 2.5" 128 GB, S-ATA € 2479,00

vol7ron

Reaction score
most people wouldnt find 64GB of storage enough i know i wont, and i said 128GB not 64 and if you dont believe me heres some proof

Memoright SSD GT 2.5" 128 GB, S-ATA € 2479,00

I believe that's easy to find something that costs the upper end, but that's not the average, and that's not for a home purchase; plus that price is not worth 2500, even for an SLC.

Sure you can find high priced ones, Newegg even has one for $3K USD, but that's not the home version, nor are they worth it. For 128GB, it'd be ~$400-$500 USD (the same as 2x64GB). And just so you know, it'd be better to buy 2x64GB and set them in Raid0 then to get 1x128GB; especially since there are no moving parts in Flash NAND - the likelihood of one failing is much more minimal.

Here is up-to-date info with a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2003240636 1421430849&name=128GB

As I said, the only one worth buying at the moment is the Intel (models like the X25-M), which is expensive. 80GB go for ~$500-600 USD, but the prices are soon to drop.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If solid state drives are faster than my 10,000RPM 1TB SATA II drives (no RAID config), then I guess I can certainly wait to get a new drive. However, I'm going to wait until they come out with 1TB drives or I'm never going to fit all of my data on them.

vol7ron

Reaction score
1TB makes no difference, the cache/block sizes associated with them can. However, SSDs have MUCH faster reads then 10,000RPM drives. I only use Raptors myself, so yes, this is a big deal.

The introduction of the SSD drives is about as significant an event as Conroe was to the processor. One day I hope we will have a RAM-less OS, with a HD the speed of RAM - this is getting pretty damn close.

Nathan H

Reaction score
Believe it or not this is already possible, there are (though not many) a few implementations of RAM based drives, blazingly fast and a fair amount of space, such a shame about the power dedication though. as soon as power is lost, the information is lost