Important Poll Regarding Disk Space

Should we stop backups and raise the disk space?

• Raise the disk space, I'll keep my own backups.

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • I like the way it is now.

Votes: 75 38.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an important poll and hope everyone takes a moment to vote. Currently our adfree plans offer 500MB diskspace and is backed up *almost* daily ;). I would like to know if people would rather have more diskspace and us not backup the servers. We would most likely just keep a monthly. So, would you rather be responsible for your backups and have more diskspace or have less and keep the daily backups going?

Thanks.

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd translated this for the Spanish Users, they are a good and important part of x10 :)
They will vote here ;)

salu2

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be at least double.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not a free hosting member but I think users should be responsible for their own backups anyway.

nandifamily

Reaction score
I think you people should raise the disk space and not backup. I feel so because most of the time when I go looking for my lost files in the backup server, they are not there. And so I have to hunt for them in my own computer.
Moreover, backup servers put undue load on a hosting service, just taking this service away will enable you all to use more resources and concentrate on hosting.

xbox360922

Reaction score
Well, since I already keep backups myself, I'd rather get a disk space increase. It'd let me add more features/content to my site.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an important poll and hope everyone takes a moment to vote. Currently our adfree plans offer 500MB diskspace and is backed up *almost* daily ;). I would like to know if people would rather have more diskspace and us not backup the servers. We would most likely just keep a monthly. So, would you rather be responsible for your backups and have more diskspace or have less and keep the daily backups going?

Thanks.

I have a question. o_O

First, would it be possible for two different free hosting packages to be made, one that does daily back-ups like it is right now, and the other that does monthly back-ups and gives more disk space? That way, users can select which one they want depending on their needs.

Also, is it possible for users to manually control the number of backups that are made? They would obviously be restricted to a maximum of one per day, but sometimes, a website isn't updated for a few days, so a backup isn't necessary.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question. o_O

First, would it be possible for two different free hosting packages to be made, one that does daily back-ups like it is right now, and the other that does monthly back-ups and gives more disk space? That way, users can select which one they want depending on their needs.

Also, is it possible for users to manually control the number of backups that are made? They would obviously be restricted to a maximum of one per day, but sometimes, a website isn't updated for a few days, so a backup isn't necessary.

No, it's either all or nothing. :p

computerwis

Reaction score
I vote I like the way it is now because, I need daily backups for my forum. Some people might corrupt the forum and I can use the backup to restore. With the daily backups and can restore members to our forum etc

I would think to keep the Double Package On.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm I'm just wondering, what would happen about disk space for those who bought the Double Space/Bandwidth upgrades?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I vote I like the way it is now because, I need daily backups for my forum. Some people might corrupt the forum and I can use the backup to restore. With the daily backups and can restore members to our forum etc

The point would be to make manual daily backups, and in exchange for your effort, you get more disk space. :)

Hmm I'm just wondering, what would happen about disk space for those who bought the Double Space/Bandwidth upgrades?

People who have purchased Double All upgrades would get even more disk space in addition to the Double All packages.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I voted to keep things as they are now but I meant to change and add space. I keep all my website source code versionned on my local developing environment, and I even version third party apps that I use on my websites (I versionned mantisBT and dokuwiki on my local server). I usually do a backup (basically download all data files) once in a while or when there is significant changes to the data used by the apps. This way I can recreate my website almost at will if a problem arises.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I would vote to raise the disk space. I already make my own backups and the removing the automatic backups might take off some server load.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Removing automatic backups would take away some server load, we'll see what the poll ends at in a week and decide from there. It is important that everyone votes!

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Corey, could you switch my vote (I voted keep things as u is, but I meant change things)?

sonicsshadow

Reaction score
It is kind of nice to know that there are always backups, but I don't really think they're all that helpful. I like to have a local backup on my hard drive, so I always backup my files anyways.

So I say get rid of the backups.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I download regular backups of my site and databases, so I'd exchange more disk space for removing the backup service. All we would really need to do is give people information on what is the best way to back up their website if they did need it anyhow.

kkenny

Reaction score
Ahhh, it doesn't really matter for me. I barely can fill up half my disk space, and I make my own backups every 3 days, so it's all good for me. Whatever the community wants it's fine for me, but I voted to increase disk space because it makes me hope that without the server having to do backups than there will be less server load/lag.

monkey97

Reaction score
I vote more space. My site is of low importance and all changes are on my computer's external HDD.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.