• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Please vote in this poll. We are considering dropping support for Mono (ASP.NET) and Frontpage Extensions. Frontpage reached its end of life a few years ago, I'm actually not sure why people still use it? Mono (ASP.NET) has always had issues correctly emulating a lot of ASP.NET code and there is little we can do about this as we're tied into the version that cPanel also supports, which is usually out dated.

They have become a hassle to maintain and it seems that less than 1% of our users use these. It is also stopping us from implementing some other features that would speed up our web serving.

It is important that we get as many votes in this poll as possible so it will better help us decide how to proceed.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, we will still support these on premium hosting accounts. Support would just be dropped for free hosting.

Last edited:

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I had a Web site made with "Frontpage Extensions" on a host
that drop "Frontpage" support - the site fall flat on its face when
trying to edit it after the drop

However I do not do $MS at this time so my vote is:

Drop them

xavier2000

Reaction score
I agree drop them.If we can improve services and are hardware then there is no point on having frontage or asp.net if there is only 1% of people using it then why keep it. :cool:

vekou

Reaction score
I voted for both, but drop them anyway. Well, I USED (note the past tense) them before. Frontpage is dead. ASP.NET is quite good (or getting better)actually, but I don't see myself using it anytime soon. If possible, a separate server for the ASP.NET for the hardcore ASP users, but too bad for them, their web server will suck.

Last edited:

wave42

Reaction score
I vote for Drop too...

I never used Frontpage and ASP.NET... ever...

nhales

Reaction score
Hi Corey
I'm happy that you drop the service.
Very pleased that the free servers are all back up and running normally following the problems with CPanel.
Regards
Nigel

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Hi, in my college people still consider php a third class language and they either learn asp.net or java.I think you will loose some of those people who wants to create site in ASP.I think if it is possible and cost effective then, x10hosting should try to keep asp.net support in their servers.Afterall it is a selling point for free hosting.As far as frontpage extension support is concerned, you should drop support for them, the software is out of date now.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
^^ you do realize that java isn't server parsed, right? It's parsed by the user's java runtime env. It's not comparable to PHP, or ASP.net. If you're speaking of java server pages (jsp) then yes, that's comparable, however we don't support JSP because it requires Tomcat to run.

I vote to drop it. No need for either of them. ASP/ASP.net are both crappy languages in my opinion. Not worth learning. Go for something more universal, like perl, python, php, C, or really anything else. >.>

mrjanes

Reaction score
As one of the 1% still using FP for my teacher's website, I want to add my two cents. If you drop FP support for your free accounts, you will lose a lot of clients who have relied on that and will have to seek hosting elsewhere, which I assume you don't really want. I understand all the FP-slamming, which really stems from MS-slamming, but I disagree with those who say it's a dead application. For some of us, the speed and ease of the navigation feature is the main selling point outside of the fact that it's all we have. So as long as someone's using an application, it's surely not dead. I hope to know your decision soon as I logged back on this morning to publish my new site - hope to stay.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
2/2/2/84 LOL

Just drop them, no-one likes M$

~Callum

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I vote to drop them.

I don't know ASP.NET and don't intend on learning.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I do not use ASP.NET/FrontPage and never will. They aren't universal, as leafypiggy said previously.
I wouldn't mind them being dropped.

Last edited:
D

dWhite

ASP.net is a crap language, and only really works good on Windows based servers.

Frontpage is garbage too, people need to learn how to manually create a site without the help of a drag and drop thingy.

Drop both of them.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I understand all the FP-slamming, which really stems from MS-slamming, but I disagree with those who say it's a dead application.

It's Microsoft who say Frontpage is a dead application -- they've stopped distributing or supporting it. Anfd the Frontpage "bashing" isn't anti-Microsoft ranting (well, perhaps some of it is, but only the uninformed version), it is firmly based in the HTML that Frontpage creates. It's horrid at best, and goes rapidly downhill from there. WYSIWYG cannot create structured documents, and Frontpage is all about the appearance of the document, not its structure. In the words of the old Starkist commercials, "Sorry, Charlie". If it's any consolation, transitioning off of Frontpage is not all that difficult, and you'll wind up with an altogether better and more usable web site as a result.

They aren't universal...
ASP.net is a crap language, and only really works good on Windows based servers.

As for ASP.NET, in its Mono incarnation: yes, it is "universal", and is an ECMA-standard implementation. Yes, it does need to be installed on the server, as does PHP, Python and Perl. No, it doesn't mean a Microsoft lock-in. And I have no idea where the "crap language" part comes from, since there is no language lock-in either -- you can write in VB.NET if you have a perverse streak, or C# if that's your cup of tea, but you can also write in dialects of Lisp, Python, JavaScript, Pascal (Delphi) or, if your perversity knows no bounds, COBOL. Mono is just another virtual machine (in the Java world, it's a lot like Tomcat). The biggest problem with "ASP.NET" is that it's advertised as "ASP.NET", so people get the idea that the standard virtual machine is going to include classes and methods that are unique to the MS environment (rather than sticking to the ECMA standard).

I'll defend the ECMA CLI as an environment and Mono as an implementation, but I won't vote to keep it on offer for free hosting if it interferes with other services. Apart from anything else, if it were to gain popularity, there'd be nothing but administrative trouble. It is far too easy to create a chatty application (lots of post-backs) and processor/database demands if you don't know what you're doing. And too few people ever take the time to figure out even the most basic good practices. There would likely be as many suspension triggers as there are page requests.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't use ASP.NET or Microsoft FrontPage. Nothing else I can really contribute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.