In your opinion what is the most powerful programming language

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Which language do you think: can do the most things, is the most efficent, is used the most, is supported by the most programs and is most easily learned.

Personally I think the most powerful for me is C or C++ because i work most with robotics and windows programs. C and C++ are really virsatle and easy to write quickly.

Awesomexr

Reaction score
I don't know much about programming, i've only ever programmed in Java. But i'm going to go for C and C++ too because it seems to be the most popular and most common language. C has probably greatly influenced most other languages too.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
That is a hard question to answer, if it can be answered at all. Languages are made to suit a specific purpose, like powering web apps or native programs, and all do pretty much the same job. Anything you can do in C++ can be emulated in Java or Python, so they are all equally powerful. Now, if you are asking what language is the most robust, or most portable, or easiest to code, then that would be a better question.

I have to say C++ is the most robust, with Java in a close second. Although C++ is harder to understand and easier to misuse than Java, for an experienced programmer, that leeway can make easier coding. Java is a strict language, and sometimes, that strictness can force you to find alternatives to otherwise easy tasks. Java has an advantage in the fact that it is interpreted the same on all operating systems, but it is also slower and generally awkward in larger applications. Therefore, C++ all the way.

Last edited:

risket

Reaction score
I used to program in Visual Basic 6 a lot many years ago. I've been wanting to get more into C++ (which, in my opinion, is a more serious language).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to find C++ source codes? I learned VB by downloading source codes and copying pieces of code into a blank project and figuring it how each command works and why it does what it does. I'd like to learn C++ this way.

Or if anyone knows of a good place to find beginning tutorials.

Thanks!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I assure you that Delphi is the most elegant, fast learning and powerful programming language I have ever worked in. It's perfect for almost everything. From simple application software and drivers, through web apps and services to complex corporate system programming. I'm a programmer by profession and I choose Delphi for a reason.

The only drawback is that it's expensive.

Just to make it clear I know C, C++ and Java and almost all variations of those languages.

P.S. Did you know that there is a programming language called X10 :)

smurfboi76

Reaction score
Well it seems that everyone agrees with me on it I believe C++ is the most powerful. It is also in my experience on of the harder languages to learn and really get going but once you work with it long enough you can start to create some really cool programs. I haven't gotten as far to do GUI programming in C++ but some day I may pick it back up and start at it again. I think a close second would have to be python because of how many things that you can do with it. Also the fact that it can be combined with C++ and also looking at some of the applications that use Python or a version of it EVE Online use Stackless Python. So there is my two cents on the subject.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I suggest that everybody post what languages they know before answering this question. You can't say that C++ is the most powerful one when you didn't tried anything else.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Powerful language, that depends on what you are developing. If you speak general application programming then C++ will be the powerful as it can access any thing that can be referenced. It is good in making device drivers, low level fast running programs, etc.., If you speak about the web then now it is php, you can integrate anything with it. Like this depending on requirement the languages are developed. If you talk about the security then mostly they go for java, Most of the banks uses the java for their online transactions.

So if some new language came into popularity means it removed the problem(s) in the language which used to use for that kind of development

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
But Delphi can pretty much do all that and even more. Just try RAD Studio and you'll see.

slacker3

Reaction score
Well, it really depends...
each language has it's strengths and weaknesses

for systems programming it would be C or maybe C++
for everyday stuff it's Python (for me :p)

I've started with C, then C++, Python and now PHP. C may be not the easiest language to start with but when you're good at it you can pick up almost every other language in just a few days - and you will thank god you don't have to use C for simple programming tasks.

Last time i used C was when i wrote an little app to recover corrupted files. I've wasted several hours messing around with low-level file, string, memory and hash functions and then just switched to Python and got it done in a few minutes.

Personally i like C the most, but most of the time you are just better off using an interpreted language. ;)

Tiobe_index.png

"Tiobe programming community index is an ordered list of programming languages, sorted by the frequency of web search using the name of this language as keyword. The index covers searches in Google, Google Blogs, MSN, Yahoo!, Wikipedia and YouTube."

Java seems to be the most popular programming language at the time.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I suggest that everybody post what languages they know before answering this question. You can't say that C++ is the most powerful one when you didn't tried anything else.
Most people who do not program for a living would not waste time learning languages they do not think is worth it. Most impressions of a language are passed on my word of mouth, not experience. That does not mean that their opinions are not as important because their impressions are received from those who do have the experience.

For the record, I know Java and C++ (in that category).

Again, how do you measure the 'power' of a language if you can just as well make an IRC client in C++, as you can in Delphi, PHP, Flash, Java, JavaScript, Visual Basic, Python, White-space, Brain****, etc?

Last edited:

knockoutjams

Reaction score
The most powerful language should be Assembly language. Yeah, I know, not many of us want to venture into the gory world of Assembler development not with the new easily understandable syntax in modern languages like PHP, Java and LOL visual basic.

I say Assembly language because even the modern programming languages need to be parsed by an interpreter during compilation to convert that code into Assembler format before a debug release is built.

Then again, all crackers and hackers know that once you have your assembler language down then you can pretty much own any box and reverse engineer even the toughest of software packaging algorithms.

The only problem, is the time it takes to write an application with a great GUI and or form components. Hence, for ease of use, compatibility and the range of applications even a newbie can develop, I say Visual Basic is the one!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@knockoutjams: Yes, Assembly is a winner but we are talking about high-level programing languages here. Nice avatar :)

@Twinkie: There are a lot less professional Delphi programmers out there then there are those who use C, C++ or Java so you can't get an opinion from somebody that easily. The reason for this is that Delphi is not free and is more expensive (including all the VLC) then other programming languages. Delphi is now a part of RAD Studio which supports C++ and Microsoft .NET technology so you can easily combine all of those to do more. Just take a look at it and you'll see.

Embarcadero® RAD Studio 2010 is the industry's most powerful rapid application development suite for visually building GUI-intensive, data-driven end-user applications for both native Windows® and .NET. RAD Studio includes Delphi®, C++Builder® and Delphi Prism™, enabling you to deliver applications up to 5x faster across multiple Windows and database platforms.

And they are right.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
If its web based i will say its PHP,,,,,, good and effective but in software i prefer .NET

dharshan

Reaction score
I'm just stepping into php (if u can call it a programming language), and from what i have lern't so far it's not the most powerful, but still easy enough to be understood...

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
U r right dhashan php is very powerfull,we can also call it as a scripting language

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
I probably should have clarified the question a little more i mean which programming language is the easiest to work with can do the most things with the least number of lines of code, is the most portable and is the most secure.

Here are some of the ones mentioned before
Java
c
c++
Delphi
Python
PHP
Visual Basic

I have personally used python, c++, c, php, lua and am learning Java

I think that for general perposes c++ and c win because they are so versitle and are the best used for writing everyday programs. If your talking portablility then it is probably java along with security. css, html and php are the best and are combined for web purposes and for writing quick programs I would go for python or lua.

So true their is no real best but there are clear ones that are more virsatle and widely supported that others. For example you wouldn't write a windows, linux or osx program in php, css or html. If I had to choose overall for now I would go c++ and c but I may change my mind and go with java after I know more about it.

vishal

Community Support
Reaction score
I studied c and c++ during my school days , its very easy and most probably that is best language for someone to make a debute in programming field.
i also like VB for its ease of use

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
C++ is the most powerful programming language.

It is in my course. I am leaning it

Last edited:

ted789

Reaction score
Except for the occasional flashback to Fortran on the campus mainframe I've only coded in Basic and VB, but I've been getting into PICs lately and reading the posts it sounds like I need to learn C++. Actually come to think of it I've been doing very basic PIC Assembly and I expect that may merge into PIC C. Maybe a future post.