Inactive members

Dan

Reaction score
Ah, that's a good point! I'm not sure I want to be checking through 15,000 posts a day, even 100 makes me get a headache thinking about it!

I've changed my mind and I agree with unpixelatedgamers, the forums are fine as they are and the inactive member shouldn't have to post.

(did i meet the 'no one-liners' requirement? :) )
Yes, that should just be enough! ;)

kkenny

Reaction score
I was quite surprised. I just looked in the member list and found that over 111361 members of the x10hosting forums has made less than 10 posts.

Then 97771 members haven't posted in the last year.

I think if someone gives someone some free stuff, they should at least give something back. Like posts. Does anyone else agree, or is it just me?
Edit:
Whoops, can someone please move this to crossfire?

I agree.
I'm giving back by being a staff member :]

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I give back by trying to post a lot everyday, even when I'm on vacation and I have some access to the internet. Despite my rounds sometimes lasting hours of rapidly posting in the forum games, I contribute here :D

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think people should be forced to post, but I think that members that don't post should get emailed, saying that it would be polite to post occasionally.
No, that would be classed as unsolicited mail, aka, spam. And would promptly get mails from x10Hosting on many peoples spam filter lists, meaning more important mailings will also be trashed.

Or maybe users lose credits on days they don't post?
...which would then encourage users to post crappy posts and make the forums even more of a mess with posts in the wrong places! C'mon, how is posting just to keep a hosting account active 'giving something back'? Keeping the community alive by contributing to constructive discussions? Sure. Posting "Yes, I agree", or "my cat smells like cat food"? That'd drive potential users away.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
If sheer member count is a intimidating, what about the post weight? On the largest, fastest moving forums I've seen, newly posted topics from users asking legitimate questions often drop off the first page in a matter of seconds. Thats a sucky experience for the person just looking for some help.

Yes, that happens loads on PhpBB.com. But there is so many people who know the answer that you usually get answered fairly quickly. Are members allowed to bump topics on the x10 forums?

When there is a particular big-ticket news item popping up relating to a particular forum, you often get 5 or 6 people posting about the same thing, wanting to be "first" rather than waiting and doing a search for posts on the topic. Not only a moderating nightmare, but it creates a completely fragmented discussion on a given topic.

Don't know whether VB does this, but PhpBB says "someone has now posted, please revise post" or similar.

Despite my rounds sometimes lasting hours of rapidly posting in the forum games

Yes, I've noticed that :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Are members allowed to bump topics on the x10 forums?

I see posts getting bumped a lot here, so I assume there's no real rule on it. kkenny bumped his posts a lot one time so I don't see why it's not allowed.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
At first, I went on the forums once in a while just to stay activated, them I said to myself (what a wonderful world) that since I have a good free hosting, (ad-enhanced) I should give to the community... and I started posting...
I one very good free hoster that I had previously (it was unfortunately shoot down) we were a small and new community (up to 75 members) and we could receive support (good support) through the forums... so I said I could be a good idea to be active in the forums.

fempower

Reaction score
Requiring all those people to post could create a lot of spam or useless posts. It's better to have people posting who reallty want to participate. On the other hand, the inactives should give back somehow. Even a rewards system may create useless posts.

darinus

Reaction score
I persoally have never posted on here before. This is mostly because almost any question I have needed answers to has already been answered. I do however visit at least once every month (used to be two weeks ) to keep abreast of any news.

As many people have already commented it is fairly pointless to post if you have nothing to say and nothing to add to the discussion. The Rewards system is there as a bonus for people who have something useful to contribute not for people who simply like seeing their words on here.

I do find the forum very useful but sometimes I have to trawl through an awful lot of dross to get at the information I'm looking for due to people posting relevant but useless posts.

Last edited:

darinus

Reaction score
Meaning repeat information. I have come across this on numerous occasions and quite frankly it's a little annoying. It seems that many people don't bother reading the replies to a question before posting an answer.

techfun

Reaction score
I am not an avid poster. Almost all of the forums I joined, I just become what they call a lurker. Not that I just want to meet the requirement but because there is nothing good to say then I just look at threads and read. Some people just become lurkers. Some on the other hand just visit the forums for the sake of meeting the requirements not even reading what is on it. There is not much you can do. And yeah forced posting = lots of useless post. A good reward scheme may convince some to post.

I agree only knowledgable person should post posting is not the thing which should be forced

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Meaning repeat information. I have come across this on numerous occasions and quite frankly it's a little annoying. It seems that many people don't bother reading the replies to a question before posting an answer.

Another cause might be the UserGroups System . I wonder how many of the posts are either in the hope of getting Rep'd or trying to get to the 750 post requirement for Community Advocate.

fractalfeline

Reaction score
lol

Well ok. I'm one of those users who likes the sound of my own voice a teensy bit and I like having a relatively moderate-speed place to put my crappy ideas. In the beginning, I was just looking for a free host with many features and few requirements. One forum view/two weeks was a pretty good deal, as I tend to get busy with other things too. But... then I noticed the rewards, like being able to buy your own domain and paypal accounts, etc. And so I made it a goal to post enough to buy my own domain. It's purely selfish, to be honest. And two birds with one stone: I get to drone on about crap that in real life, most people would tune out. And... everyone else can just ignore my useless spam.

So, in this particular Crossfire discussion, I get double-credits, as long as it's not a one-liner, and vaguely relevant to the topic. I think I succeeded in that. So I get my credits and then I'm happy.

Danielx386

Reaction score
The old webhost that I was with before it went under, we did it like you need to make x anount of post ever 30 days to get free webhosting.

Daniel

dharshan

Reaction score
i as many people do, signed in once in a while to saty activated, but then i found some interesting topics and stuff, so am signing in to see comments and posts like minimum twice a week!

Danielx386

Reaction score
And how much spam did they get from that?

~Callum

Ok, I break the rules (one liners) but.....

We didn't get that much spam, I was a mod on that forum, and it worked quite well. We did have the oddd spam here and there, but over all, it was great. :)

Daniel
Network administrator

Last edited:

joejv4

Reaction score
I don't think posting should be mandatory, however, it's the right thing to do.

There is enough variety in the forums and topics, that most anyone should be able to find something to comment on. Bare minimum, it wouldn't kill them to simply hit the intro's board and say welcome to a new member or two when they do their monthly login.

Me? I keep coming back because I find this place entertaining.