Inactivity email reminder

kestrel1

Reaction score
This may have already been answered elsewhere in the forum, but would it be possible to be sent an email every11 or 12 days to remind us to login to the forum, so that we do not get an inactivity ban?
If this is already available, can you tell me how to activate it.
Cheers

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
At this time, no there's no option for that.

There's work being done to implement that to some extent, so there will at least be a mail sent out when you risk account termination. I don't know the details so I can not say when it will come or how it will work.

kestrel1

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on that one. A step in the right direction. ;)
Cheers

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
This may have already been answered elsewhere in the forum, but would it be possible to be sent an email every11 or 12 days to remind us to login to the forum, so that we do not get an inactivity ban?
If this is already available, can you tell me how to activate it.
Cheers

I have heard of people using the Cron Jobs feature on their x10Hosting account's cPanel to remind them to log in to the forums by way of email. Although I don't know how to set something like that up, I'm sure a different gifted programmer on these forums can help you out with that.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
An idea of mine, which checks last time you logged on to cPanel, not the Forums.

You have to add email code, adjust the time to your taste, and set up a daily cron jog.

My earlier post.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
But... the whole point is that you're not only declaring that you want to keep your hosting account open, but also so you keep an eye on the news/announcements, plus keeping the x10Hosting forums community active... If it just becomes a chore and just doing the bare essentials, then the community will suffer, you'll miss out on important news/announcements, and there will be far more accounts taking up valuable server resources when really, the owner can't be bothered to put in the smallest amount of effort.

Think of it this way: If you get an email to remind you to log in, you're more likely to do it, even if you don't want the hosting. If you forget, and notice your account is suspended, you're more likely to think "Hey, I don't really care" and just let the account be terminated. It's a pretty effective system, IMO. Sure, it could possibly be tweaked to take in to account going on holiday without paying for the whole year, but sending out reminders is shifting the responsibility somewhat. Do you really want someone holding your hand and whispering in your ear that it's coming up to that time again, where if you don't log in to the forums, your account will be suspended? Want someone to deal with the toilet tissue after you go for a crap too?

Grow up, stop whinging (not directed at the users in this thread, but this has been requested by others before...), and take responsibility for your hosting account. I dunno if the $3/yr exemption from the inactivity timer is still going.... found it: http://x10hosting.com/upgrade.php

nzitguy

Reaction score
i always like to logon and see whats going on... so i guess not a problem... do you really need a reminder? :naughty:

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
bah reminders. take a sticky note, write on it:
" Log onto x10's forums on the 1st and 15th of each month" and stick it on your monitor. ;)

yulifan

Reaction score
You can use Google Calendar and schedule an email to be sent every 11 days. ;)

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
There will be a notice when an account is suspended with the new account panel. We have to be careful about the amount of emails sent out though, we have tens of thousands of accounts and sending out constant reminders generally gets us put on some blacklists for spamming ;)

kestrel1

Reaction score
There will be a notice when an account is suspended with the new account panel. We have to be careful about the amount of emails sent out though, we have tens of thousands of accounts and sending out constant reminders generally gets us put on some blacklists for spamming ;)
Okay, all points noted & I agree that it helps the community & I am all for that.
I also see your point about being blacklisted Corey. It is just that I get very busy at times & tend to forget to do everything that I should, including logging in to the forums. I like helping out where I can, so I would look through the forums to help out. Maybe I will look at the google calendar idea or even the post-it note on the monitor :naughty:.
Anyway, thank you all for your input. Lets keep the forums alive :wiggle:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Think of it this way: If you get an email to remind you to log in, you're more likely to do it, even if you don't want the hosting. If you forget, and notice your account is suspended, you're more likely to think "Hey, I don't really care" and just let the account be terminated. It's a pretty effective system, IMO. Sure, it could possibly be tweaked to take in to account going on holiday without paying for the whole year, but sending out reminders is shifting the responsibility somewhat. Do you really want someone holding your hand and whispering in your ear that it's coming up to that time again, where if you don't log in to the forums, your account will be suspended? Want someone to deal with the toilet tissue after you go for a crap too?

That's a pretty good point that I haven't thought of before. Maybe it should be set so that you have to request email notifications in your account manager before you ever start receiving them?

my account has been suspended wot shud i do now?

First of all, this isn't the correct place to post this. If you need help, please post in the Free Hosting Community Support area. Anyway, if you are able to unsuspend yourself, you can go to your Account Manager and do so now. Depending on what you were suspended for, you may not be able to do this. If you were suspended for inactivity, visit this page for further information regarding how to avoid further suspension and what you can do to become immune to further inactivity suspension:

http://FMiMH.co.cc/x10Inactivity

davearonson

Reaction score
There are all kinds of ways to send yourself reminders. If you use Google Calendar, or have a Yahoo account, you can set up a repeating reminder. Outlook, iCal, etc. can set up recurring events. Chances are, your PHONE has a calendar that can set up repeating reminders, with a noise to get your attention. If you use Remember the Milk (or something similar) for task management, you can set up recurring tasks there. I use Google Bookmarks, with the forums URL in my "weekly" tag set.

If someone is too techno-challenged to set up some kind of automated reminder, I gotta wonder whether they're techno-savvy enough to set up a web site!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad some people understand why we have this rule in place :)

davearonson

Reaction score
There are all kinds of ways to send yourself reminders.
If someone is too techno-challenged to set up some kind of automated reminder, I gotta wonder whether they're techno-savvy enough to set up a web site!
So of course I immediately get busy, forget to log in for a couple weeks (I normally logged in at least once a week but do not have any automated reminders), get suspended, and don't even notice for several days! Sheesh.
icon11.gif
DAISNAID....

Thank you, x10, for the near-painless self-unsuspension process!

-Dave