Increase Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

macrox14

Reaction score
Hi, I have exhausted my disk space.
My site is active and I've been registered since November 2019.
Is it possible to get unmetered disk space please?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately what you have on your account is deemed a content scraper which are prohibited, see under Prohibited Scripts in ToS

This has lead your account to become suspended for breach of ToS.

Prohibited Scripts
Space provided by x10Hosting is to be used to create a functional website, we do not allow bots, content scrapers, or any other script that runs continuously on your account. Any scripts that are executed via cron or manually must be directly related to your website.

macrox14

Reaction score
Hi Anna,
I am running an RSS feed reader (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS) on x10hosting.com using the open-source Tiny-Tiny RSS (https://tt-rss.org/)

To update the feeds I need to run a cron job which obviously parse the RSS XML files for each of the websites I'm legitimately subscribed to and this is done with the full consent of the websites that provide the RSS feeds in the first instance.
As an example, here you can find the list of RSS feeds provided by the New York Times newspaper: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/index.html

The cron job script is a function provided by Tiny Tiny RSS as a basic way to update the feeds:
https://git.tt-rss.org/fox/tt-rss/w...crontab-using-update-script-updatephp---feeds

This is more than a legit use of the cron function and the running of automated scripts to update my website with legit content.
Given the above, I think I'm fully compliant to the ToS.

If you think this is not compliant with x10hosting.com ToS that means that a basic tool like that of sharing of information between websites using XML based APIs (RSS in this case) in a fully legit way agreed by mutual parts is prohibited by x10hosting.

Could you please reply me in light of the above?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the content being legit for you to get, it has all to do with what type of scripts we allow to be in use for our free hosting service, and content scrapers is one listed as prohibited.

Since all content you have is by getting information from third party sources, with rss in this case, it is considered to be a content scraping script.

Had it for instance been a small part of your site, with feeds related to the content you create and publicly available, it would perhaps have been seen a bit differently.

macrox14

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying but RSS, from my understanding, are not "content scrapers", these are two very different things in the vocabulary of many people working with web services.

Your ToS is not detailed at all in defining what is "content scraping" and generally speaking, including legit RSS in that group is very subjective and could be attacked from a legal point of view.

Given that in ultimate instance you're the one deciding what falls inside the ToS and what is outside, my only way of solving the issue is to either pursue you legally (but you can always modify the ToS in such a way of including RSS in the "content scraper" group), which is not worth the effort, or move to another web hosting provider.

I'll opt for the second option.

Before this, could you please re-activate my account so that I can de-activate the cron job with the scrip?

PS:
In the ToS there is a list of scripts/types of script that are prohibited. To avoid upsetting other users I suggest you to add this case as well related to RSS.
This is the list I'm referring to:
"The below scripts and types of scripts are also prohibited on our free hosting service:
  • Clickbait, 'locker', or 'paywall' scripts without prior approval.
  • URL shortener services.
  • File or image hosting services or scripts.
  • Owncloud or similar scripts."

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Crons would be disabled on a suspended account so there's no need to go in and deactivate anything.

macrox14

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.
Can I still get my account re-activated so that I can delete everything and maybe use it for something else in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.