Installing Perl Packages (like one would with the command line PPM)

jamroll

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi.

How do I install a perl package? Here at home, I can run PPM and install any package I want, then I just include (or use) the package in my scripts. but, here on x10hosting...i can't find a way to access that ability. Currently, I can't add packages to the folders in @INC. I can only use what's there. If i want to add a perl package (like Image::Magick), I would have to create folders, and manually install the scripts, which is not exactly the right way to go about it. I've searched these forums, and I see nothing about this subject. There's got to be a way for me to install packages the "right way" (like PPM)....no?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Perl isn't supported at all in client accounts on the Free Hosting servers. If it were, you'd need shell access (which you don't get on Free Hosting servers).

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
We do not support perl, and I'm looking into why the server is allowing you to run this.

jamroll

Prime Account
Reaction score
i don't understand - does this mean you will take it away?? :( that would be really sad for me....
i will copy all of what i have to my local machine, and hope you don't take it away.
also, i am a prime account holder, so ... i don't get why this wouldn't be supported...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Prime accounts are still on Free Hosting shared servers (I've replied in more detail to your posting in the Prime forum). If your account is able to run Perl, it means that the server configuration is out of kilter, and other users on the server are also able to run Perl. So yes, it will be shut down, but there's also the little matter of figuring out how it got turned on in the first place (administrative config error or security problem). Perl is only installed because some server admin processes need it, otherwise it wouldn't be there at all.

jamroll

Prime Account
Reaction score
oh! :D 12 bucks a year (USD, i presume) says i can use perl. perhaps i will do that. perl is so fun to work with.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Perl is a gross language, that's really not meant for websites...

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't make me laugh like that. It's not nice. :p

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You know, I really should write a LOLCODE-to-PHP transpiler. While a bored cubical drone many moons ago, waiting for user acceptance test results that never, ever came, I went just a little bit mad and started maintaining most of my code in custom LOLCODE dialects (that transpiled into clean source code — we had a very low bus factor, and I didn't want to leave anybody with a mess they couldn't clean up).

jamroll

Prime Account
Reaction score
i will admit perl is a bit gross, sometimes. but it's fun, and easy. i haven't delved into php as yet.

LOLCODE? never heard of it. sounds like i need a cat to write that code...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Perl may be fun and easy, but it's essentially write-only and takes a disproportionate amount of support, as in "there's nothing wrong with my unreadable code (that even I can't figure out anymore); fix your server!!!!1!!eleven". And TIMTOWTDI also means "there's waymore than one way to write any given piece of ToS-violating code". Thus, no Perl on Free Hosting severs. However, if you're not too terribly picky about what your object code looks like, writing a Perl compiler in Perl to compile to PHP might be fun. Or pick a Lisp (Racket and Chicken Scheme are both fairly easy to pick up, and Racket has a good REPL); the homoiconicity of Lisp makes it really easy (well, "really easy" as these things go, at least) to write compilers and interpreters. Just because the server only runs one scripting language doesn't mean you have to code in that language.