Internet Chain Letters?

withambition

Reaction score
Chain letters remind me of 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' story. If a real chain letter existed, we'd never know... of course the, "If you send this to 10 people you will kiss the person of your dreams" chain letters don't exist. But what if some one was trying to relay actual information?

Sohail

Reaction score
No one here is actually sad enough to believe this are you? I get loads of these saying stuff like you'll die overnight if you don't foward this letter and nothing happens!

hermitobserver

Reaction score
i love them NOT... a couple things i have learned are to:
1: Never Reply or forward (duh)
2: Tell the sender (if you know them) to take you off of the group you are in. If you're in one.
3: Don't even read them. It's 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back.
4: If you do read them, don't acknowledge them. I never reply and I'm still alive. That tells you something.
5: Live with it. There's not much you can do about it

P.S. You can tell if it is chain mail if it says, for example, (re.(re.(re.("subject")

LHVWB

Reaction score
I am happy because I don't get any of these annouying emails, I try to avoid giving out my real email address, by keeping a spam one as well. :)

guypants

Reaction score
i think these people waste their time doing this, on a social networking site i go on called bebo, i get 100's of mail saying "Read this this is Freaky... Say ur name twice then press F6, Send this to a milion people in 2minutes" Lmao i think they need to get a life... its so annoying

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
Chain mail is perhaps one of the more ill thought out ideas in the world. Chain e-mail is even more so.

I delete these things as soon as I recieve them. If anyone I know needs to send me an email, they have enough sense not to send it to someone else first, unless I request it. If there is a sick child who needs my help, there are better ways to go about it than email. If a vampire clown is going to eat your dog if you don't forward this email to 102048 people, that makes you kind of a huge ass for sending it to ME, thus dooming ME to losing my dog to a clown.

Last edited:

intertec

Reaction score
I hate chain mails. Just imagine how much internet bandwidth they would use.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Chain Mail and Spam I think already are part of 30% of the total internet bandwidth. I'm only guessing, but if I come across the actual number, I'll let you guys know.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I think that we should stop sending them back. I recently received one and it had more than 5000 email addresses in it, it would have been a paradise for a email seller.
I even added a message in my signature warning people about the dangers of sending chain letters... they stopped sending them to me... funny !

cowctcat

Reaction score
I always respond to this with this:
Honestly whoever wrote this did a crappy job. If it were real I wouldn’t have been written twice and there wouldn’t be spaces in the middle of words. I find it my duty to warn you against forwarding something like this. Just look at all the email addresses you are passing on to potential spammers. If anything you are endangering people by passing this on. I urge you to take into consideration other peoples safety and your own.
And so far it has worked.

Last edited:

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
My personal favorites include

-Anything that warns you to send it to 100 people, or face horrible consiquences- Dead girls coming and sleeping in your bed, clowns raping you, your parents dying...all these things can be caused by not fowarding an email.
-On the flip side, anything that claims you will get good luck, your crush will call you, you'll become rich, any of these things. Sometimes, the number of people you send it to determines your luck.
-Fowarded messages that claim to be so old, they will soon be placed in the Guiness Book of Records. Most of these have supposedly been passed around since before the computer was even invented.
-Anything sent to save a sick or missing child. WTF.
-Anything that claims that Bill Gates is going to send you money for forwarding an email.

allinone

Reaction score
they are just another way to get some emailids to make spam and they really annoy me when they say forward it to 10 people or you will hear bad news, thats the worst thing in them

wolfy67

Reaction score
There are many chain letters on the internet, many asking to donate money. I was wondering does anyone actually pass these on or even donate. I find it hard to believe that these keep growing and spreading. This is just a time waister in my opinion that takes up room in my inbox. Also, there is a great website snopes to check out validity of chain letters and see their origins, it's kinda interesting. http://snopes.com/

It's pretty much a waste of time to pass on a chain letter. Considering the amount I have simply trashed I should be haunted, run over, burned, experiencing infinite years of bad luck, and dead. If they were true that is.

I do feel bad for some of the folks if the chain letters are true (this kid has cancer... that single mom lost her husband in Iraq... etc) but they fail to realize most of us are in the same boat. Got cash to spare? Nope.. me either.

Dan

Reaction score
Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'I don't like them either'. Posts should say why you like it and why you don't like the other or why you think this, and why you think that person is wrong etc. etc.

anirtak143

Reaction score
one look at a spam message (well, in this case a chain letter) and i can judge whether it is a fake or not... when detected i delete them as soon as i can because i hate looking at a messy inbox and spam folder

Hakosho

Reaction score
I really hate chain letters, they are more like spam then info for someone. I dont mind them but they can really get on your nerves when you get the same one over and over. I starting marking them as spam.

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
You hate them, but you don't mind them? What?

I received a chain letter today...it was frightful! I'm going to post it here, just in case!

"if u have opened this letter u have opened up a CURSE! 2nite at 12:12 a gurl with no arms and no legs will stand over ur bed and if u look at her she will kill u. Pass this message on to 5 people or she will come 4 u!"

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You hate them, but you don't mind them? What?

I received a chain letter today...it was frightful! I'm going to post it here, just in case!

"if u have opened this letter u have opened up a CURSE! 2nite at 12:12 a gurl with no arms and no legs will stand over ur bed and if u look at her she will kill u. Pass this message on to 5 people or she will come 4 u!"

how does a girl with no arms and no legs stand? And over your bed and not on the side? lol.

I hate chain letters because the message is usually bad. I got one that lied about person with a hotmail adress that phished people over MSN.