Internet Explorer Vs. Firefox

sampuu

Reaction score
Out of the two, I'd say Firefox wins hands down, although Microsoft are slowly catching up.
I tend to use Firefox for my normal browsing, although I do use Internet Explorer 8 for testing sites in IE8 and IE7. Also, I have messenger programs which rely on Internet Explorer for displaying information.
Again, Firefox has a better set of features including many addons. The problem, however, is that as Firefox gains in popularity, so does the risk of infection from spyware and security holes which any amount of addons won't protect you against.
When it comes to visuals and interfaces, Firefox wins again I'm afraid. With the amount of themes available and the simple menus are a lot better than the standard internet explorer greyness and confusing dialogs.
As for the best performance, it really depends which version you are using. Firefox 3, for example, uses a lot more memory than firefox 2, in fact sometimes 300,000k more! Internet explorer is also integrated which (although can be horrible if something goes wrong) means any memory it does use is almost excusable.

Oh, and for all those who are touting Opera, did you know that it was full of spyware at one point? Just do a google for opera +spyware

hamsn

Reaction score
Over all Firefox is best, and being linux distribution its much much better than internet ex.
it has much customizing features and much more things to work out with, can handle anything which internet fails to.
many plus points, freeware too,
filesize i think smaller than internet explorer, speed better than internet ex.

moreuse

Reaction score
opera is great.

but now with FireFox copying more and more Opera's feature, and the Addons to make Firefox more advanced like opera.

now i use FireFox.

not only my FireFox as full featured as Opera, with the massive addons library, my FireFox now have more features than Opera.
Like css debugging
Ftp client

edmundjones22

Reaction score
I love firefox, and I'll never change. It is integrated the best into Linux (actually it's just integrated, i don't think IE can claim this...), has the most add-ons, and the most security.

opine4me

Reaction score
Given the choice of only IE or Firefox, definitely Firefox. Firefox Extensions give it a huge advantage in addition to the slowness and interface annoyances that have always bugged me with IE. Although I do love my Apple products and think Safari is a decent program, I still use Firefox on both my Macs and PCs.

Now that Google Chrome is out, though, I think it could be a dead heat between that and Firefox pretty soon... I have downloaded it and tested it a little bit, but it's still an open question as to whether I'll be using that or Firefox more in 6 months.

Cobol to Java

Reaction score
Hmmm, I have both firefox and IE on my PC, not to mention opera and safari and chrome (newest addition). I like testing different web templates and themes on different browsers. Seems it's best to get a balance on all browsers these days.

tonykgv

Reaction score
I have used Firefox for years and have not used IE all that time. Firefox has a larger number of plug ins and modules that enable you to make the browser do what you want it to do. Tonykgv

edu2004eu

Reaction score
OK, dude (the dude that started the topic)!!! There's absolutely no reason to even think of comparing FF with IE. IE is nothing compared to FF. Microsoft keeps trying and trying... they've come to version 8 and what did they solve with this? NOTHING! FF is only at version 3 but gives lessons on all chapters to IE... IE can't even interpret CSS 2.1 correctly (at least not until version 7)...

TrueCoppa

Reaction score
firefox - ftw
many reasons for this
1: firefox is faster
2: more stable
3: more secure
4: Cache size smaller than IE overall
5: much more customisable

louisfluff

Reaction score
I agree, with all of what TrueCoppa Said in the last post. I would like to note the ad blocking extension for Firefox: Adblock Plus. I wouldn't want to surf the web without it. If I shall choose, I can display ads on some sites, but not on others.

I think Firefox Rocks. Period.
Too bad Microsoft forces IE upon its users.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Chrome. If it wasn't beta. Firefox FTW! Because:

Shows pages correctly, IE doesen't,
Better addons and styles,
Animated PNGs!
Faster
more secure