Internet Explorer Vs. Firefox

klotus

Reaction score
i have to agree with the masses...firefox is eons better than ie. true ie8 is soo much better than the rest...maybe ie9 will equal firefox???? being a webdesigner, firefox has so many addons that are indispensable (ie (lol) firebug) that i would never use another.

exodiara

Reaction score
They both are virtually equal in security, so it really comes down to personal preference.

I use Firefox 3

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I use Firefox 3 where possible, and have 2 portable copies of Firefox (v2 for Windows 98 and v3 for everything else).

wolfy67

Reaction score
Which one do you think is better?
Which one do you use?
Which one has the best features?
Which one has the best visual?
Which one has the best performance?

I think FireFox is better. I.E. has improved somewhat but FF is still cleaner, faster loading, faster surf speeds, and more customizable. Oh yeah... and MUCH safer with various blockers and extensions.

I use AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock to cut out 95% of the annoying crap. It's very rare for an banner to get through and I haven't had any popups at all. All the pages I visit load much faster and smoother in FF with just these two extensions. I also have Grease Monkey running custom scripts on a few favorite pages as well.

The themes in FF are much nicer as well. I like the Walnut theme; my browser looks like it's made of wood. Fun! The sidebar addon saves a ton of time as well.

Oh yes and tabs, tabs, tabs. Sure IE has copied the functionality of FF's tabs but they just aren't the same.

Last but not least by a long shot -- since I've been using the more secure FF, I haven't had a virus in a long while. Back when I ran IE I had the antivirus and firewall software running. I'd still pick up a virus every week or two. Now, I'm still running AV and FW but I haven't picked up more than the occasional malware. If I increase security on my cookies I suppose I could cut that out completely.

estate

Reaction score
i stopped using IE five years ago, first it was Avant browser next it was Opera, and the last couple of years it is the Fire Fox.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I prefer FF, purely because it is faster and easier to use.

I automatically hate IE, because it is made by windows.

I run Linux, so I can't use IE anyway.

IE 8 makes my website look really really stupid :(

IE 8 makes EVERYTHING look stupid.

I wonder why?

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Why i also choose nto to use firefox though is because it takes longer to start up. Ive noticed this on many computers. If firefox made some kind of speed launcher, Id be there. Ie7 though does not work all the time, when i find a site that is like that i switch to firefox.
That's probably because IE, being a part of Windows, is partly loaded on startup (using many of the same files as explorer.exe), though this poses the problem of stability and security. Switching from IE to Firefox takes longer than switching from Firefox to IE and back, thanks to the IE Tabs add-on.

Armacci Design

Reaction score
IE is all I use except for cross-browser testing purposes. It loads up a lot faster, and is just as secure as firefox (regardless of what the hype says). I am personally sick of seeing everybody's firefox campaign ads on every website, signature, and forum on earth.

oliveoil

Reaction score
why is this even a question :p...firefox > IE by far....x10 lol, simply so much faster, easier to use...nicer too :p

crayleb

Reaction score
Firefox all the way. You can put on so many more add ons and don't have to worry about a microsoft product! There are a couple features in IE that I like, like multiple tabs opening your bookmarks when IE starts, but thats the only good feature in IE

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
IE is all I use except for cross-browser testing purposes. It loads up a lot faster, and is just as secure as firefox (regardless of what the hype says). I am personally sick of seeing everybody's firefox campaign ads on every website, signature, and forum on earth.
IE is only as secure as Firefox if you install a bunch of addons (which are hard to find for IE) and disable ActiveX. Also, it's far more susceptible to spyware and adaware unless you use programs like Spybot S&D to patch it up.

DragonMaster

Reaction score
There are a couple features in IE that I like, like multiple tabs opening your bookmarks when IE starts, but thats the only good feature in IE
This was a Mozilla Suite feature back then, but I just looked in Firefox 3's options and you can now do it again. Still missing the HTML sidebar however...

N4rk0

Reaction score
IE is only as secure as Firefox if you install a bunch of addons (which are hard to find for IE) and disable ActiveX. Also, it's far more susceptible to spyware and adaware unless you use programs like Spybot S&D to patch it up.
I agree , Ie is integrated with windows , and this makes it really vulnerable to maleware that u can find on wild web...

scopey

Reaction score
Firefox is better for all its addons. Download managers, location addons, email addons, media player addons and most importantly, web developer addons. As someone who spends a lot of his time using a browser, this stuff is all completely necessary.

ophiel

Reaction score
Hmmm.... I loved Firefox, but I met Opera. Opera is faster than Firefox, but still firefox cooperates pretty well with google apps and it has some cool features (like "add search engine" etc).

IE? naah, i am linux user :) don't know what are you talking about :)

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Hmmm.... I loved Firefox, but I met Opera. Opera is faster than Firefox, but still firefox cooperates pretty well with google apps and it has some cool features (like "add search engine" etc).

IE? naah, i am linux user :) don't know what are you talking about :)
I run every IE up to IE7 under Linux for testing purposes. But Flash is slow as hell in it.