Internet Explorer Vs. FireFox

psgalaxy91

Reaction score
I've tried them both, they both do the basic functions you'd need. But I'd have to say Internet Explorer is better, because it is like the universal web browser. Everything works on it. I don't see what FireFox has over it.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
O

M

G

How could you prefer a vulnerable, non-standards compliant browser? Firefox is fast, secure and has a large range of addons.

exemption

Reaction score
Firefox is alot faster when it comes to browsing..and it displays web pages more properly when it comes to PHP and HTML and other programming languages...
Firefox is..and always has and will be better
=D
Im out

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
You obviously haven't encountered FF's extensions.

Adblock plus, mouse gestures, and more to make browsing faster and easier

IE isn't universal in standards sense; I believe FF is more compliant. IE is only universal in the sense that everybody has it installed against their will on Windows machines

bawii

Reaction score
firefox!

I set my browser so that when I click a link with my mouse scroller, it opens a new tab :D

after using firefox for a while, I feel so unclean whenever I use internet explorer! I think it's a shame that more people don't use firefox :/

zen-r

Reaction score
psgalaxy91, I see you posted a similar opinion over on this thread ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/crossfire/79817-chrome-launched-google-3.html#post459987

So I won't repeat my reply to it here, but if you revisit that thread you'll find an example of why IE doesn't work too well in all situations.

bawii, - interesting picture in your signature. Are you sure it doesn't belong in the thread http://forums.x10hosting.com/crossfire/81641-boxers-briefs.html#post449823 Maybe an example of the harmful effects of the prolonged wearing of briefs?! ;)

psgalaxy91

Reaction score
Microsoft bashers...

I like internet explorer, and it has great stuff to. Internet Explorer is just as fast and it has tabs too, and you can get add ons for it also. Although one thing FireFox does have is alternate themes. I guess it just comes down to personal preferance...

psgalaxy, this topic has been posted before. By me. :p.
Internet Explorer Vs. Firefox
try to search before posting
Well maybe I didn't want to, OK?? I really don't have time to search every single time before I post something.

zen-r

Reaction score
...Well maybe I didn't want to, OK?? I really don't have time to search every single time before I post something.

Well, then you are breaking forum rules :nono: . Not a major crime, but the idea is that we try not to start similar threads all over the place, so that the forum doesn't become an even more cluttered mess than it already is. The moderators etc have a hard enough time managing things in here, without having to continuously go round tidying up after everyone!

idontknow95129

Reaction score
I prefer firefox because of HOW it handles the memory and javascript, plus its open-source. Everyone loves an open source project.

fempower

Reaction score
Firefox is much faster and more secure. It also doesn't crash as often or take as much resources. Whenever a site isn't found the first time I visit in IE, it stays that way for the whole session without even retrying, unlike Firefox. Also, the addons for Firefox add amazing functionality that IE can't ever hope to match.

lastrider

Reaction score
Firefox hands down!

Pretty much for all the reasons people have already stated above, so no point repeating.

It's a great piece of kit, only use IE when I have to because either cos it only works in IE or its a Microsoft site and wont work in firefox.

onyxmoron

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see people praising IE on a web hosting forum... :eek4: I'd go out on a limb and say most people who've been creating websites for a while would consider IE to be the bane of their existence. It's inexcusable that it took them so long to decide to conform to the standards set by the W3C, it's evil that they clearly chose to remain standards-noncompliant on purpose to hold developers hostage, and the fact that the latest version of IE still isn't totally compliant is ridiculous!!

Sure, IE has "bells and whistles" that are great selling points for users, but after so many years of seeing how it can completely destroy 100% standards-compliant websites, I could never trust anything I viewed with it. I'd always be wondering what sections of the page I was looking at weren't showing up because IE was displaying it wrong.

The way they worked IE is like if Ford decided to start putting the steering wheel under the driver's seat. The car still looks okay and it doesn't affect the passengers much, but if you're trying to drive it you've got problems.

I don't think anyone can really understand until they've experienced the heartbreak of finally coming up with a really clever completely standards-compliant way of doing that one particular thing you wanted to do using only CSS that works perfectly in a compliant browser only to discover that it doesn't work in IE. :bash:

zen-r

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see people praising IE on a web hosting forum... :eek4: I'd go out on a limb and say most people who've been creating websites for a while would consider IE to be the bane of their existence. It's inexcusable that it took them so long to decide to conform to the standards set by the W3C, it's evil that they clearly chose to remain standards-noncompliant on purpose to hold developers hostage....

:stupid: Agreed. But there is a possible explanation as to why a few do still love Internet Explorer.

The longer I'm on these forums, the more I begin to realise that it is largely populated (& even moderated) by kids. Most of whom would seem to be too young to remember the earlier browsers such as Netscape (Internet Explorer's main rival), how Netscape was killed off at the time by Microsoft integrating IE for free into Windows. And most importantly, how bad IE actually used to be. Microsoft then advanced most of their other software, but left IE undeveloped for years -despite continually saying how important they thought the internet was to the world. They just didn't care, because they had a virtual monopoly.

Meanwhile, the Net was changing in it's importance & uses, & more & more viruses & other threats were emerging to exploit IE's lack of development. This is how Firefox & Opera emerged to become the main competition -albeit very small in comparison to IE, & only really known about & used by the computer savvy. These new browsers provided vital new features & a new level of security previously lacking in IE.

So, after many years of abandonment, IE (relatively recently) got a shiny new facelift in version 7 (I think it was). Microsoft clearly realised that their old browser was not only a joke, but that the competition was beginning to threaten their market share. In true Micro$oft style, they stole most of the best ideas from the other browsers, tweaked things a little, then gave it away for free again, hoping that would be the end of it, & the competition would die off again.

Well, even though IE is now substantially better than it used to be, some of us with long memories are not that willing to forgive & forget. Personally, I use Firefox whenever possible, only resorting to IE in certain situations (examples given in one of my earlier posts). I think that Firefox does have the edge over IE, though perhaps not now as much as it used to have - but that is not the point for me. What is most important to me is that IE is never again allowed to dominate & ruin the browser - both functionally & in terms of security.

Whilst browser development still has a long way to go before I will be happy, it is nice to see fresh new competition emerging in the form of Google's open source Chrome browser. Perhaps Micro$oft will sit up & pay attention now !! :sleep2:

Last edited:

xPlozion

Reaction score
omg, firefox ftw. standards compliant for one. a site written with standards, such as mine look fine on every browser except for internet explorer, and i, along with many others have to then create css hacks to make it look acceptable on it. if every web developer cared about writing standards compliant code, then there would then be no "looks best on internet explorer". also, i hate those sites that can only run on internet explorer due to their god aweful improper/wrong javascript/html coding.

that and firefox has useful extensions, such as adBlock Plus, WebDeveloper, and more, the list goes on.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Let me give you a boring list! 10 reason why FF is better than IE.

1) Generally faster except when it is not. Sometime it throws a fit, but what program doesn't?
2) More compliant, displays web pages better, JavaScript engine better.
3) Extremely customizable, tons of addons and extended feature for free.
4) SKINS, how can you live without them. I use a cool NASA night launch skin :p
5) More secure. I am a freak about security and people employed by the NSA don't even allow IE to be installed on their computers!
6) Open source. FF is so reliable because it is looked over by thousands of programmers every day and the FF community.
7) Better allocation of memory. Self explanatory.
8) Great crash control and recovery. Unless on SSL, you get the page that crashed back, unless the page caused the crash, then you don't want to view it again.
9) Extremely well designed program with much less pop ups than IE. Most alerts and the find feature is nicely placed inside the window just above the page in an obstructive way.
10) Smaller, easier and faster to install.

Short and simple, Firefox functions the way it's users want it to and Internet Explorer functions the way Microsoft wants it to. Internet explorer is extremely undeveloped because it creates no revenue for Micro$oft and is full of holes, glitches, ect. Really, the only thing IE is better for is being closely linked with Windows and that is horrible because it fails to work properly with everything else. IE is a bad attempt to make people Windows dependent, and it is working. Everyone who is using IE, don't fall for it!

Well maybe I didn't want to, OK?? I really don't have time to search every single time before I post something.
You should try it, people don't take these sort of important polls seriously because every other week, someone creates a new one.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Excellent. That's a good, comprehensive list of reasons why FF is better than IE.
I think it can be summed up in a nutshell ;

1) FF IS NOT MADE BY MICRO$OFT.... End of. ;)