Internet Explorer

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you hate most about Internet Explorer's rendering engine? I cannot stand that IE 6 will not accept transparent PNGs.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Like rounded border?

http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/

I typically do that in Gimp and have it as an image.
That is one of them, but lets say you want a box which is 50% of the window width. You need an overall top container to define the width, a top left image, a top middle image and a top right image. Next you need the middle section which holds the content. Then you need to the bottom container and a bottom left image, a bottom middle image, and a bottom right image. With CSS3 you could just set a border-radius of 10 and call it quits. Also, IE only supports eot formats for the @font-fact feature and it is rather annoying to convert a ttf or otf to eot format. Plus there are a bunch of other CSS3 features which probably won't get supported by IE until ten years from now. Then it will take another ten years for people to transit from IE 7 and 8 to the version which does support CSS3, and by then we will be on CSS5 or something and IE will still be the web designers nightmare.

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
You can't not support IE, WAY to many people use it. IE7 isn't to hard to work with, and IE8 is even better. IE6 is the problem. Unfortunately, over 10% of people still use IE6, so when building a website for a company, not supporting that many people can be a problem

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not if you show a message why?

Such as:

We take great pride in the functionality and user friendliness of our Web site. In order to provide you with the best quality service, we cannot lower our standards to support a Web standards incompliant browser. Please, do yourself, and the Internet in whole a favor and download one of these standard compliant Web browsers: Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Google Chrome.

Thank you!

I would put something like that.

vekou

Reaction score
^ or you could ask them to upgrade their IE. anything but IE6 or lower. at least IE7 & IE8 are less nightmare-ish than IE6.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Not if you show a message why?

Such as:

I would put something like that.
you can get by without supporting IE6, but if you want a serious website, you have to supoort IE. If you show a message like that, most IE users will just say screw it and leave to never come back.

freecrm

Reaction score
Yeah IE6 is the bain of our existances! Leviathon's image made me laugh - so true!!

lack of png support is very restrictive - as is the lack of css3 and, as sourfacedcylop says, you have to be consistent with all browsers if you want serious credibility.

I find so much time is playing with css to get one browser to work right - then another shed load of time trying to get the same effect in IE6, then another shed load of time trying to get it to work in the original browser as well!!....oh - then you have to look at Opera :(

Thank god for Firefox!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
you have to be consistent with all browsers if you want serious credibility.

To hell with that :mad: How is supporting something so old and terrible credibility? That's not credibility it's moving back to dark age. Thinking like that is the only reason it's still alive. If we want to advance we have to help others do the same by letting them know how bad, insecure, and buggy IE6 actually is. If every site have the message that explains it to users and looks bad in IE6 people will eventually have to move forward. I we keep tolerating it, it will newer go away.

As for the link that's not working just google it and you'll find many other smiler sites.

http://ie6.forteller.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://dearie6.com/
http://stopie6.com/
http://www.free-the-web.com/

Many have pre-made scripts you can just copy and paste. You can create your own if you like (I did) and help people realize how bad IE6 is.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm currently making one to stop IE as a whole! xD!

I'll post a link when it's done -- I want it to be really great. :)

freecrm

Reaction score
To hell with that :mad:

I like your style, but unforunately, when you're designing for a client, we have to accept that may users still use IE6

Just done a quick export from Google Analytics over the past month for reference.

1. Internet Explorer

1,470 72.92%

2. Firefox

366 18.15%
3. Safari

68 3.37%
4. Chrome

59 2.93%
5. Mozilla

21 1.04%
6. Opera

19 0.94%
7. BlackBerry9000

8 0.40%
8. Konqueror

2 0.10%
9. (not set)

1 0.05%
10. HTC_P3700 Opera

1 0.05%

In IE, this is the breakdown

1. 7.0

649 44.15%

2. 6.0

433 29.46%
3. 8.0

388 26.39%

So the problem remains... some users just will not change unless their IT guy does it for them, because they are utterly inept at updating. As an example, my company can only update through a proxy server, so 30% of workstations are still on IE6 and cannot change....

A sad but realistic world I'm afraid.

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's stupid. I can understand not letting people just install anything at work but they should at least be able to choose their own Web browser.

btw, it's done: http://stopie.co.cc :)

I plan to add much more stuff soon :)

freecrm

Reaction score
LOL - we can't receive gifs, zips, mov's, exe's... anything!!!!

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's stupid. Really, it is. They must be very determined to keep you working. I think firing people who stay on the Internet all day is a better solution than making everybody suffer.