Internet Speed

djcustom

Reaction score
I am working with a client that is debating on opening a paid service with x10 or installing their own server. I am trying to talk them into going with x10 because of the ease of hosting and the great service I have had here. I also want it hosted here since it makes my life of editing with cPanel much easier than whatever they decide to use. They would like to know some details that would help make the decision.

How fast would their internet have to be in order to host their own site.
They are only able to get 128 Meg DSL and I do not believe it is enough. What is the minimum you believe should be used.

I thank you for your help

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I am working with a client that is debating on opening a paid service with x10 or installing their own server. I am trying to talk them into going with x10 because of the ease of hosting and the great service I have had here. I also want it hosted here since it makes my life of editing with cPanel much easier than whatever they decide to use. They would like to know some details that would help make the decision.

They are only able to get 128 Meg DSL and I do not believe it is enough. What is the minimum you believe should be used.

A speedtest site such as www.speedtest.net would show his true bandwidth. By the sounds of it, unless he is running VDSL or VDSL2, there is no way he'll be able to get anything faster than 48Mbps/4.8Mbps on Annex G mode via ADSL2+. Post up a speed test and I can tell you how much your friend's connection will be able to take. It's more in the upload than it is in the download :)

Last edited:

lair360

Reaction score

Well I hate to say this...there is a downside about X10...you'll have to check your website every 30 days (requires login to forums) to stay active. I would recomend to to go for a private server with Cpanel.

Lair360

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well I hate to say this...there is a downside about X10...you'll have to check your website every 30 days (requires login to forums) to stay active. I would recomend to to go for a private server with Cpanel.

Lair360

not on paid plans.

If his site is small, just some html pages, but he gets a lot of visitors, I would think somewhere about 50 - 100 MBPS up

hcse26

Reaction score
If your client really wants a good and fast hosting service, convince him to get the x10Hosting Development Package.

It's for 20 bucks. Features are:

500MB Diskspace
20GB Bandwidth
25 FTP Accounts
25 Email Accounts
10 MySQL Databases
10 Parked Domains
10 Add-on Domains

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For a known fact, when I ran my website and it was first getting started, I ran it via a 768kbps/128kbps connection, and it took on some fairly heavy use quite nicely. Later on down the road, I bumped my package up to 3Mbps/768kbps and it ran quite nicely, and I could get some decent speeds on the upload side (about 91.3KB/s upload for the server to use), and later on bumped up the speed to 7.1Mbps/768kbps (for personal use on the download, but the upload was doubled due to a provisioning error, so more bandwidth). In reality, you could run a website off of 128kbps of upload, just expect the site to run pretty slow for large files and for connects to take a little longer than normal, but as per running a forum, 128kbps is quite decent. 2Mbps+ upstream does great in terms of speed.