IP blocking for existing users

Toffmonster

Reaction score
Hello.
I've been a diligent member of x10Hosting for more than 3 years now. It it had its ups and downs along the way, but it's been cool overall. I even paid for Double All and Inactivity Timer a few times. But since a few days ago I can't log in to my cPanel or FTP because my country is not allowed. I browsed through support requests and they say that while you might allow cPanel logins for existing users, you won't be able to allow FTP access for them?? They say that if we want to use FTP we might need to use Premium Hosting? Now that's forced.
I think you're overdoing it, X10. Sincerely. While I believe country blocking is an overly harsh and useless measure on its own, forbidding your existing users from logging in because someone with IPs originated from their countries has been breaking your ToS is way over the top. Do I have to use proxy now to continue using your services? Or will you ban me if I use it? Can't you at least override your IP rules with cPanel and FTP logins of existing users?
Please, reconsider it.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
cPanel isn't, and will not be blocked.

We've blocked signups and FTP access from certain countries to make a better service.

Since initiating the block, the number of spammers, phishers, copyright violations, zero tolerance suspensions, and other things have dropped exponentially. We've always blocked /some/ countries from signing up. We're just now pushing it to more countries which, as shown by our data, give us constant abuse and abuse our services. We're actually making it better.

I'm sorry you feel this way - and I do understand how frustrating it is, I really do. But this is how it has to be for right now. Things may change in the future, but who knows.

If you still can't access cPanel - just say so, and we'll take a look.

Toffmonster

Reaction score
We've blocked signups and FTP access from certain countries to make a better service.
Well, to me as a user who happens to be in one of such blocked countries you just blocked FTP access, I don't see much benefits for me from X10 having less zero tolerance suspensions if I'm being blocked from accessing FTP.

Since initiating the block, the number of spammers, phishers, copyright violations, zero tolerance suspensions, and other things have dropped exponentially.
Obviously, you block the whole countries. If you block the whole world, the number of spammers, phishers etc. will be reduced to 0.

We've always blocked /some/ countries from signing up. We're just now pushing it to more countries which, as shown by our data, give us constant abuse and abuse our services. We're actually making it better.
Why can't you just exclude your old existing users who's been with X10 for 1 year or more from IP block list? :\

If you still can't access cPanel - just say so, and we'll take a look.
Yes, I still can't access cPanel:
Sorry, we are not able to accept cPanel logins from your ASN or country of origin at this time.

And I still don't know if I'm allowed to use proxy to connect to FTP or if it's gonna be TOS violation.

Toffmonster

Reaction score
I'm able to log in to cPanel and FTP now. Thank you very much for looking into this, x10. Hope this isn't just a temporary measure. :]

do.marmor46

Prime Account
Reaction score
funny i got exactly the same opinion as u Toffmonster blocking new to sign up is one ting but, blocking existing members that followed tos and respect copyright is morally wrong in many ways specially when its done whiteout even so much as a mail to let them know asap so they can find a different host and let there users know the new adress

i heard my country got blockt all the sudden all my files and folders are hidden or deleted cant even load the website on front end at least the reply i got on irc said it was because my country got block t, if this is true i guess x10 is not a company with such high moral standards as i thought

Toffmonster

Reaction score
do.marmor46
I don't think your site is down because of the country block. When I started this thread I was blocked from accessing cPanel and FTP, but my site was working. There were talks among x10 staff that users from blocked countries might not have FTP access anymore, but will be able to access cPanel soon.
Then they changed something and I was able to access my cPanel and FTP. So I believe this policy was changed and existing users were grandfathered, but no one from the staff confirmed it yet.
As of this moment I can't access my cPanel again but my FTP is working. I'm trying not to come up with any conclusions yet.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've already pinged an admin there may be issues with Boru, haven't received a response yet but it's definitely not related to the country block.